BC Boards

Does tractor supply or lowes allow dogs?

Tractor Supply does. It was a regular venue for adopt-a-day events for the rescue group I used to volunteer with. I have doubts about Lowe's, though. I've never tried nor have I ever seen anything other than a service animal there.

Just one suggestion though: where ever you go, you might want to carry a doggie diaper bag with paper towels, a little spray bottle of some sort of disinfectant and poo bags in case of "oops" in the store. There's nothing more embarrassing than not having the resources with you to clean up after your pet. embarrassed.gif

Your local pet store(s) don't allow dogs? :blink:

Welcome!

I live in WV, and our Lowe's stores have always been a great place to take a dog or pup for socializing. When ours are young, I take a soft mat (like a saddle blanket or bath mat), put it in the cart, and put the pup in there (after making sure he/she does their potty business outside) with a leash attached (and I have treats for people to offer and to get the pup's attention should I need to). And, as Patty said, a bag with some supplies is a great idea - paper towels, plastic bags (zip bags or something similar, for the dirty towels), and some enzyme spray.

My youngsters soon learned that Lowe's is a great place to visit (they still get silly when we pull into the parking lot) and they know how to get from the car into the cart on their own when I tell them to (and get back into the car when it's time). Our Lowe's prefers dogs to be in the cart (although they've never said anything when the dogs have been on the leash and not in a cart, either) so we "cart train" them.

I have not taken a dog to Tractor Supply that I can remember but I believe they are allowed.

Best wishes with your socializing! It can be one of the most fun aspects of having a pup, and provides lots of great training opportunities.

I've taken quite, well behaved, friendly dogs into TSC, Lowes, Home Depot and many a feed store, home improvement warehouse, etc. The important thing to remember is that this is a privilege, not a right, so you want to be respectful of other people and the store itself (no leg lifting on the displays!).

I've brought my dogs to the local hardware stores, Lowes and Tractor Supply with no problems. They are great places to to bring your dogs for some exposure to new sights and sounds. We just remember that we are guests and to behave accordingly. And bringing a little clean-up or diaper bag is a great idea!

I've seen dogs in our local Lowes and I've taken my own into Home Depot. :) Riding in a cart is a great way for a young to get around and not be overwhelmed by such a massive, weird-smelling space, plus it keeps them out of the way of other carts. ;)

If there are any feed stores in your area, see if they allow dogs on leash, too.

Have fun!

Gloria

I regularly take Asa to both Tractor Supply and Home Depot. Our local TS keeps dog treats at the check out counter! I carry treats to give her positive reinforcement whenever kids want to pet her. Its a fantastic way to expose her to different sights/sounds. Just be respectful and keep your dog under control and make sure they've pooped/peed before they go!

Our bank keeps treats - if you go through the drive-through with a dog in the car, you get a little envelop of dog biscuits. I've had my dogs (and even the house bunny) in the lobby when doing teller business.

We have a cool bank.

Sue my dogs drool when we go through any drive through because of the banks.... The air tubes are cookie dispensing devices, it was what they were really designed for!

You might find other local options as well, both our local liquor stores welcome dogs and always have a supply of cookies.

Funny, Dew travels allot with me on errands. She's not really interested in the treats, she takes them to be polite. But she thinks the whole world loves her and needs a hug. So when we go through drive-throughs the whole car wiggles with her excitement that the person behind the window might talk to her.

I've had the local dairy queen give her a whole ice-cream cause she was loving the people so much they thought she must love ice-cream. Which she does but she was car wiggling for the people alone!

Then there's Mick who sleeps or just lays there and I have to ask for 2 treats casue all they see is Dew!

Poor Faye is still getting car sick so she's not having any fun at all!

Oh, I can top all of these........the Marshalls in my town allows dogs!!!! I stopped by recently to see what was new for spring and as I parked, I saw a woman with a dog on a leash, walking him in one of the grassy medians. As I was walking in, she turned and walked in with the dog! While I thumbed through the racks, I could see Ms. Dog Owner walking around shopping too (and of course Fido was on a despised stretchy leash). Finally, my curiousity got the best of me and I asked one of the associates at check out, "Do you allow dogs in here?" She laughed and said, "Hahaha, someone just complained about that! Yes, we do...there is not a law that says we can't." I was stunned.

The next day I called Marshalls/TJ Maxx corporate headquarters and asked my question again of a customer service manager (I skipped over the regular CS rep). I received the same answer--yes, dogs are allowed. I pointed out that I didn't especially want to be shopping at Marshalls and dodging dogs or see that someone's dog had lifted his leg on the comforters on the bottom shelf. She said that many of their stores are in the same shopping centers at Petco or Petsmart and the owners like to shop with their dogs. I then pointed out the times I've been in one of these pet stores and rude pet owners have allowed their dog to poop/pee on the floor and have left it for someone else to clean up, despite the presence of clean-up stations, and that Marshalls did not have paper towels, etc., for this purpose. The CS manager said of my imagined dog messes, "THAT'S WHAT ASSOCIATES ARE FOR! THEY WILL CLEAN IT UP!" I couldn't believe my ears.

In my area, TS is a great place to take dogs. They welcome them. We have several pet stores that also allow dogs. Lowe's - it depends. I have had someone intercept me in the parking lot as I was walking to the store with my dog, and she told me that dogs were not allowed. (She was quite adamant about it.) OTOH, I had been to that same Lowe's another time with my dog, and into another Lowe's where I have encountered staff that petted my dog to staff that told me dogs really shouldn't be in the store. My Southern States stores (feed and grain) also allows dogs. We have a great FolkLife festival here in the fall that is a great place to bring your dog. Other events include 2 different dog-oriented days - Woofstock and Dogtoberfest. A couple of the wineries around here will also allow dogs on leash on summer nights when they have entertainment and wine tasting. Not a bad way to spend the night (if only I had more time to do something like this).

Jovi

I took Colby into Home Depot when she was really little. All the employees I saw didn't even bat an eyelash at the fact that I had her with me. I thought about taking her in a couple months ago, but I got to the door and noticed there was a sign (it looked like it had been there for a long while) that said 'Service Animals Only.'

I just had some work done on my car at a local Midas. The dog I had with me was invited inside the lobby and got hugs from all the employees. Definitely a good way to earn loyal customers.

On the flip side, last year I was waiting for my car at the dealership and a woman came in with a "service dog" that was smelly, loud and obnoxious. He kept running up to customers and rubbing fur and drool on their pants. He was clearly not trained and I was tempted to leave the room to get away from him. The owner was very chatty and told evryone the story of why she had him. In my opinion, she didn't really need a service dog (based on what she said). He was actually more of an emotional support dog while she had cancer (6 years ago!).

She also told stories of being kicked out of public places because of his behavior and how her rights were being violated. Quite honestly, I can see why she was asked to leave. My pets are quieter, more polite and better trained.

My pets are quieter, more polite and better trained.

This is essential.

I've had one or more dogs to several places where we have our cars serviced. I come prepared with things to keep them occupied and make sure they are polite, and do not approach people who are not pleased to interact with them.

Growing up on Long Island, I remember when Roosevelt Field was built, one of the nation's first shopping malls. It was not enclosed, but like a mall today with stores all lined up. The outside walkways had covered and uncovered areas (you didn't need to get wet with rain once you were "inside" the mall.

The clothing store where my Dad shopped not only allowed dogs (as did the mall) but also had a dog water fountain right outside the door. I never saw a badly-behaved dog in that mall, although I have to admit I saw very few. Our dog enjoyed her visits, was extremely mannerly (Border Collie of some sort), and always well-received.

Good times!

I had to go to Verizon last summer, it was too hot to leave her in the car, so I asked if she could come in. I was the only customer at the time and they loved it! I put her in a long down/stay and they couldn't believe what a well behaved dog she was. Mega treats for the good behavior!

I took Belle to Home Depot a few months ago. It was great; some of the employees even had treats in their aprons. Of course Belle thought everyone was there to see her and give her a treat. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't hesitate to take her anywhere. She is a VERY well behaved girl.

post-4507-041811800 1334943946_thumb.jpg

We just tried this yesterday at Lowe's! We walked up into the "foyer" area, I peeked my head inside to get the attention of someone at Customer Service, they said "Come on in!" It was great! Emmett love love LOVED it! He's a rescue, not sure if anyone else did this with him before us, but he had a ball. Little guy was SO in his element that the idea of service training skipped through my head. He really seems to get a big charge out of making people smile, and that made me smile. :)

We just tried this yesterday at Lowe's! We walked up into the "foyer" area, I peeked my head inside to get the attention of someone at Customer Service, they said "Come on in!" It was great! Emmett love love LOVED it! He's a rescue, not sure if anyone else did this with him before us, but he had a ball. Little guy was SO in his element that the idea of service training skipped through my head. He really seems to get a big charge out of making people smile, and that made me smile. :)

Really glad to hear this!

Maggie has been to Home Depot, Lowes, Calloways Nursery, CVS, the Post Office and The Container Store...in addition to all the major pet store chains. So far, nobody has said a word.

Also, certain locations of Urban Outfitters, Pottery Barn and our downtown Neiman Marcus allow dogs but we haven't made it there yet.

Unfortunately she is going thru a phase right now where she doesn't really like to be petted by strangers, she was fine when she was younger so I don't know what has happend. She is quiet in the stores and never bothers the merchandise but it never fails that we get approached by someone who is determined to make friends....so I am being very careful with her.

Maggie has been to Home Depot, Lowes, Calloways Nursery, CVS, the Post Office and The Container Store...in addition to all the major pet store chains. So far, nobody has said a word.

Also, certain locations of Urban Outfitters, Pottery Barn and our downtown Neiman Marcus allow dogs but we haven't made it there yet.

Unfortunately she is going thru a phase right now where she doesn't really like to be petted by strangers, she was fine when she was younger so I don't know what has happend. She is quiet in the stores and never bothers the merchandise but it never fails that we get approached by someone who is determined to make friends....so I am being very careful with her.

there was an older guy that really gave Emmett a "brisk" petting, I wasn't ready for it to happen with an adult, so I was sort of taken aback. When I take out Zoey, our 115lb, 28inch tall Rott/Lab Mix, I have this little talk I give kids about "How to Say Hi to Doggies." (Zoey is a kid magnet! her size freaks out Mom's, but the kids love her!) In Emmett's case, he draws older adults; I don't even know where to start to tell someone my Dad's age, "How to Say Hi to Doggies." : /

Two things that I'd like to add to this discussion

- always, always ask before taking your dog into a place of business for the the first time.

- be prepared to stand up for your dog if need be because some people do stupid things with dogs. That means that you may have to step in front of people or instruct them how to interact with your dog. I would suggest making everyone ask before petting your dog. Adults will be worse offenders in the pet without asking thing