BC Boards

Just starting agility seriously! Please Help!

Hi everyone,

I have a 2 yr. old B/C bitch and she's very talented in agilty. she's an awesome jumper and she loves to do it, even if I don't want her to do it. Before I knew too much about agility I had her jump obsticles and such for fun. She loves it. But today in our little training session on my beach I set up a sort of homemade tunnel, it was just kindof like a lil' net that was perched up so she could go under it. I was trying to introduce her in tunnels.

When I would introduce her to going under, she had no problem with that but when she started getting excited over it, she would jump over the whole tunnel (she's a very good jumper it was about 5') and I didn't know whether to praise her or to correct her. I ended up being confused and ending the excercise. Any suggestions whould be well appreciated, Thank you, Licky

I agree with Barb, Licky. Safety is so important, and you also want to stop your dog jumping hurdles when you don't want her to. The sporting aim of agility is for dog and handler to run a designated course with the dog following your lead and not jumping those hurdles she wants to do.

Take care, Val and the girls

I'm in agreement - classes are great. You'd be amazed what peer pressure will do! And it'll help you TONS. Also correct: dogs taking jumps without being told to is way bad - just ask us how many faults ("minus points") a dog can accumulate running, as they say, like an unguided missile. Whoops.

One exercise which is great for these types of dogs: set up whatever they like best (jumps, tunnels, etc.). Line two or three of them up, side by side (not too close together). Command the dog to do one of them; if she does it, praise highly, treat, whatever you do. (This is important to make them realize they CAN do it right.) Then go to almost-in-between the obstacles; call them to COME or HERE or whatever you use. If they do an obstacle, they get no praise or treat, and a WRONG or whatever you use to let them know they've done it wrong (you MUST let them know this - it's not a "bad dog!" comments, just something to let them know they goofed, and you're willing to tray again). Try again. You may need to move closer to the dog; as she begins to "get it," you can move away again. Once in awhile, give an obstacle command again too - so they can have fun. And of course, end on a positive note, whether it's successful completion of the obstacle or a successful avoidance as commanded!

And have fun in class!

diane