BC Boards

What do you do with a hyperactive Border Collie?

Hi everyone, I have a great dog. We're meant for eachother and she's the smartest thing walking the planet exept when she gets so hyper that I can't get her attention. Once I get eye contact with her I've got her, but sometimes when she sees a treat in my hand or a tennis ball she flips and there's not way of getting her attention. Any advice on this? And one more thing, Border Collies are supposed to be good swimers right? My dog won't go near the water and I live on an island, so does anyone have any advice on how to help her with this either?

------------------

• 2 weeks later...

Hello I've got the same problem and I'm about

run out of Ideas sadly my dog came into season late because of her Hyperactivity and

suffered from a false pregnancy they operated

after 9 weeks and put her on Galastop to try to get rid of milk. the sedative she was sent home on did n't work but the galastop did on hyperactivity for 2 days and from being the most loving and trustable dog she has become aggressive and has tryed o kill are other dog. so if you thind an answer let me know and I'll do the same

------------------

Rachel

• 2 weeks later...

I only have a puppy but what they taught me in basic training was to play the attention game. Basically you dont ever feed your working dog from a bowl. Normally during our morning feeding I take his kibble and hold it in my hands until he looks at me, as soon as he makes eye contact I feed him a peice or two of kibble. Using a clicker helps in the early stages, click as soons as he makes eye contact. Then progess to a game, as soon as he makes eye contact throw the kibble left, then right, always make him look at you before throwing the kibble, then you can do the really fun recall game! My husband daughter and I do this alot and it is fun, we have high food drive items, I may have hot dogs and my husband has turkey. Then I feed him a peice while my husband hides, he calls the dog by name, and when he finds him he gets the turkey. Then when my husband says ok, I call him from my hiding spot and when he finds me I feed him the hot dog or ice cream if I am hidden in the kitchen. We also use lots of praise. it has worked wonders with our little 4 month old and it is also fun for all of us smile.gif

Hi Licky,

Mag is 5 months and already he has the same reaction with attention when he sees his ball or treats. What I do is put whatever it is he wants in my pocket and show him my hands. It usually takes a couple of minutes, but eventually he forgets about it. I use his intense concentration to my advantage as I can get his attention very quickly, and hold it for long periods of time.