BC Boards
workindogs

Scenes from Zamora SDT

Here are a few photos of the Zamora SDT (CA) field...a beautiful big hill field. If the big tricky undulating hill wasn't enough of a test, then the wily range ewes were to up the ante. Always a favorite, especially when the weather cooperates.

Imagine the possibilities.....

photo2.jpg

Sunshine breaking through the clouds.

photo4.jpg

Do you think these fellows might be related?

photo3.jpg

Young Craig "I have a DREAM"

photo1.jpg

Magnificent! The only other Zamora photos that I recall were taken (I think) after fires, and it looked so desolate. These are beautiful, and it must be a wonderful trial.

Thank you for sharing!

Outstanding photos of an incredible field, Elizabeth!

nancy

PS: I imagine that photo of the three related dogs is of Rye and his "kids"?

Nancy, you got it....Rye in front, Ross in the middle and Craig. We walked around a bit but every time we stopped, they lined up to watch the trial in their "vulture pose".

GREAT pics! And as stunning as these pics are, the field is even more impressive in person! Sorry I didn't get to see you there (or, I guess I did, but from afar)...

A

There's Anna, Queen of the Top End at Zamora!

Weren't the sheep GREAT this year. Much lighter than normal but not crazy light! The lambs had been weaned a month ago and he had them shorn (how do you spell that and what is the correct "tense" :@)a couple of weeks ago. Just made them easier than the normal "Zamora sheep".

It did rain but never hard enough to make it miserable(and it can really "blow and pour" there).. Very well run with very little "bitching" ... a really enjoyable trial.

Even if you don't do well ... just getting the sheep to your feet is a "feat" (especially with young ones :@)

Anna, yes, the field is even more awesome in person. The photo doesn't show just how steep the hills are or the tough and mostly blind outrun.

Suki, there was almost no cell/Internet signal unless you made the big climb up a hill....like the one I made to take these photos (and make some calls). Ross and Sooty did great! Soot's first go was pretty good...needed some help at the start of her outrun and was on the muscle, but put together a decent run. Her 2nd go was very good....she was more relaxed and listened very well and nailed her outrun without assistance (beautiful !!). Ross had beautiful smooth runs both rounds (tho' my steering stank 1st go and missed panels cost us dearly). I'm not sure where he ended up exactly....8th in 1st go (I think) and 8-10th in the 2nd go (maybe). With 80+ dogs running, that put him in the points. Sooty might have ended up with a point or two in the 2nd go. I was super happy with the both of them (especially Soot on such a big difficult hill).

We were very fortunate on the weather....big storms predicted turned out to be small short ones. As Candy said, the sheep were fairly light but not crazed....could turn on the dog at the shed or pen but mostly darted and split to make pens infrequent.

Yes, the sheep seemed more "squirrley" than in past years, but not terrible. Just enough to really keep me from getting at all complacent up there. Just because there was hay does not mean they would stop moving long enough to see it, let alone stop to eat it :-) And, yes, Candy, "sheep had been shorn" is totally grammatically correct,

A

Elizabeth,

Thank you for letting me (and Harp) know how the dogs did. I am really happy to hear Soot did well. That is a big hill. Sorry, that I could not make it over . Maybe next year! Lambing does have away of changing plans. I had been wondering about the weather as we got a lot of rain and snow this past weekend, so am glad to hear that it was not a huge issue this year.

Suki

Anna, yes, the field is even more awesome in person. The photo doesn't show just how steep the hills are or the tough and mostly blind outrun.

Suki, there was almost no cell/Internet signal unless you made the big climb up a hill....like the one I made to take these photos (and make some calls). Ross and Sooty did great! Soot's first go was pretty good...needed some help at the start of her outrun and was on the muscle, but put together a decent run. Her 2nd go was very good....she was more relaxed and listened very well and nailed her outrun without assistance (beautiful !!). Ross had beautiful smooth runs both rounds (tho' my steering stank 1st go and missed panels cost us dearly). I'm not sure where he ended up exactly....8th in 1st go (I think) and 8-10th in the 2nd go (maybe). With 80+ dogs running, that put him in the points. Sooty might have ended up with a point or two in the 2nd go. I was super happy with the both of them (especially Soot on such a big difficult hill).

We were very fortunate on the weather....big storms predicted turned out to be small short ones. As Candy said, the sheep were fairly light but not crazed....could turn on the dog at the shed or pen but mostly darted and split to make pens infrequent.

Nice photos Elizabeth. I did enjoy watching your run with Ross--so smooth .

Carolyn,

Thanks for noticing Ross....I love him! He keeps getting better and better.

Ross's theme song should be Sade "Smooth Operator"...I can almost hear it when I run him. He's got massive amounts of feel, a cool head and plenty of guts and come forward to deal with challenging twitchy range ewes.

Beautiful! It doesn't feel like it could the the same California I live it -- it looks so wide open and empty. Not at all like urban California!

Wow, I would love a chance to run on that field. Maybe someday, when my ship comes in (it's been lost at sea a very long time). Thanks for sharing the photos Elizabeth!

J.

Very nice and congrats on your nice runs!

Would be nice to head West one day...