BC Boards

Bringing the ball back

Here's the problem. Ricky, my 15 month old male BC, fetches the ball, then when he brings it back he drops it between 10 and 20 ft in front of me. I cannot get him to bring the ball and "give" it to me. He comes and releases on command yet when I say come when he starts getting close, to encourage him to go the "whole way", he'll either drop the ball and come, or lie down, drop the ball, then come on the second command. If it's any help he also cannot put his toys in my hand when we play in the house. I'm thinking there my be a connection here. Thanks for the Help folks.

[This message has been edited by Steve (edited 04-05-2000).]

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

My husband taught Isa to deliver the ball directly into his hand by throwing it [the ball], then crouching down and holding his hand out. Isa would come back so far then drop the ball. All my husband did then was wiggle his fingers. The next thing Isa did was pick up the ball and kinda throw it at him, but he just kept wiggling his fingers. Eventually she delivered to his hand at which point she was the best dog in the world and got to chase the ball again.