BC Boards
Maja

Spring stockwork-new techniques

Spring has come to Poland and it's time to get back to work, but Bonnie obviously has not been really idle, even though her main job was to test my patchwork dog beds:

P1900824.jpg

It turned out she came up with new sheep intimidation techniques:

1. Repeating malicious gossip, "Ramses said you have no balls!"

P1910379.jpg

2. Forced levitation:

P1910458.jpg

3. Intimidation by peeking from behind the tree:

P1900865.jpg

4. And very effective - intimidation by nose licking:

P1910395.jpg

Fortunately, the classical intimidation techniques have not been abandoned:

P1900981.jpg

She also has some new ideas about sheep herding:

1. "Boss, the sheep need tidying up!"

P1910188.jpg

2. "The best is the brown ones on one side and the beige on the other."

P1910264.jpg

And fortunately again, she still remembers how to flank:

P1910228.jpg

And I discovered the real reason for the cross drive: It makes taking pictures more convenient!

P1900931.jpg

Spring greetings from Poland!

Maja

Thank you! :D Bonnie looks very sweet - deceiving little critter :lol: .

And just so it's clear I wasn't kidding about shedding by colors :lol:

P1900266.jpg

Yeah, great pics, the "malicious gossip" shot is my favorite too...

We are really yearning to get in the game here also. Well at least I shod two of our horses and took Gláma with me riding, she turned out to behave very good.

You guys are fun!

Happy spring.

I'm glad you enjoy the photos. I certainly am enjoying the spring at last and raring to go and train at my friends' places. Bonnie was to have a litter this spring, but one of her bothers has developed seizures so I thought the best will be to put Bonnie's breeding on hold. But that means an uninterrupted training/trialling season. (Pity about the litter though: daddy-that-won't-be is a tremendous British trial dog, and I was looking forward to keeping a female from that mating).

Maja

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about the seizures. You must be terribly disappointed. But it's good you're looking on the bright side and getting plenty of training in. And your photos are great!

J.

Yes, Julie, it was a very heavy blow. But look at my patchwork and quilting work in the first photo! :D I should call it therapy patch-work :D .

Kelly and Daisy:

P1910569.jpg

P1910563.jpg

Mother and daughter:

P1910585.jpg

P1910591.jpg

And more of my therapy patch-work, a cat-bed:

P1900812.jpg

And a travel set, bed, pillow and a bag to put them in:

P1900827.jpg

All these are a perfect thing to do during winter hibernation and my dogs are very happy to test them.

Maja

I bet the dogs are happy to be the testers! ;)

When it comes to dedication to the cause, Kelly is equal to none :D :

P1890138.jpg

All of our dog-beds are border collie tested and approved :D . We proudly test our products on animals :lol: .

And one more of my designs, I am very happy about.

P1890986.jpg

Maja

Thank you . Yes, I am, but here of course I'm just sharing :D , my friend and I are going to have a little online store. After I had finished that big king-size quilt (with help from my friend), I figured I am up to it:

P1900008.jpg

(its king-size, but it's folded so it seems smaller)

For a long time I have been wanting some nice work for long winters that I could do at home. I didn't know I could learn to sew, but here it is. And I think dogs deserve some individual approach :D .

Maja

The interesting thing about these dog beds is that when something unpleasant happens I have a great desire to sew and it makes me feel much better. So from the amount of sewing, you can see it's be rough :) . Here my last therapy dog-bed, thanks to the tax office:

P1910617.jpg

Now back to herding. perhaps it's a cardinal stockwork sin, but on occasion I let Bonnie do whatever she wants with the sheep. We go to the pasture and I completely ignore her. I wouldn't do it with a different dog, but I figured, maybe there are things she wants to try out. So today I just let her be.

At first she did what one might expect, she fetch the sheep very nicely:

P1910693.jpg

But then after a while she decided to do a drive:

P19108401.jpg

She decided on the best place for the sheep to be and made sure they stayed put:

P19107461.jpg

And then....

And then she decided to find herself a new shepherdess.

So she talked it over with Daisy:

P1910731.jpg

And off they went:

P1910705.jpg

P1910717.jpg

But that's not all!

Becasue Daisy thought she'd try her paw at stockwork too.

So after a briefing from Bonnie:

P1910889.jpg

Daisy had a go:

P1910804.jpg

At which stage, I though it would be prudent to put an end to all that spring goofing about

P1910884.jpg

Happy Easter Maja! and fantastic photos of your beautiful Bonnie!

Thank you Serena!

I didn't know where to put it, but since I mentioned the problem here...anyhow, I have some very surprising news. Bonnie's brother that had seizures was getting worse and worse, the vet kept increasing the dose and then added another drug on top of the previous one, and still he was getting worse. And then she got an idea to treat it as a bacterial infection of the brain and he started getting antibiotics and the seizures stopped. And the antibiotic has epilepsy as a counter-indication for administering this antibiotic, because it excites the central nervous system. But rather than getting worse, the seizures stopped altogether. It's hard to describe what I felt when I read the email from the owner.

Maja

You're such a silly girl. Love it and the photos. Now get to work. :blink:

So does that mean you feel better about breeding Bonnie? Seems to me that I would (but what do I know, I've been wrong more in my life than right) since it does not now appear to be genetically related. ??

Yes, I am very happy that the problem has turned out non-epileptic, and thus non-hereditary :), and the news was more than I had hoped for. I am only sorry that the poor guy had suffered for so long. He was such a "make love not war" type when he was little, very laid back sort that stayed that way. And I am also happy that the ten other owners can now breathe more easily. The litter with Bonnie was so good I decided to repeat the mating, so there are 12 puppies from the same parents.

And more good news, our first born-on-the-farm Ouessant lamb. It's a ram, but he is so cute that I forgive him.

Maja

P.S. Yes ma'am :D . We're done fooling around and we are getting to work. We even went to a clinic and practiced in a blasted blizzard :D .