BC Boards

What can you give a dog?

Donald McCaig

Dear Doggers,

After I dropped June off for her biopsy, I passed the pet store and thought maybe I'd buy her a toy or a treat. June has never had a toy and once she was given a liver treat but spat it out.

In her eleven years, she has had pleasures and passions, predictability and adventure.

My wanting to buy her something reminded me of Saturday afternoons in Manhattan, watching divorced fathers bringing their kids to FAO Swartz, the most expensive toy store anywhere. "Anything you want, honey. Anything."

Which the kids didn't want at all.

Sometimes all we can do is what we can.

Donald McCaig

Here's hoping that all will be well with June. You have given her a fulfilling and adventure-filled life. You gave her sheepwork - what toy or treat could compare with that?

Very best wishes to you both.

you're absolutly right. sometimes we want to make up for our lack of attention/time with "gifts. i know when i want to treat my dogs we go for a long walk in the woods. it's all they could want.

I so find the comment about us giving them our hearts so lovely! Because, is that not what they honor us with?

Best of luck to her!

However, my guys want me to add that a few cooked tidbits and sleeping on the bed rank awfully far up there! :)

Mr. McCaig,

You have already given June everything. You've adopted her into your pack. You've allowed her to do the job she was bred for, to the best of her abilities. You've guided her and taught her when those abilities needed to be channeled. You've welcomed her to the fire after a days work.

You've loved her.

She knows this.

One day walking back throught the forest trails after leaving the sheep at Doan's field I found a feather dropped from a flicker, brightly colored and strangely fascinating to Sweep the broom.

I was going to keep it. But noticed his eyes on it. And he would look away if I saw at him glancing shyly at it.

Oh, Broom, you dogs give us so much!

I gave him this beauty

Which, my friends, he promptly ate.

Here is a salute to you and June, Sheepdogging Geezer.

Today as the pups go out to learn the old dance with the cotton deer I will think of you and her.

Recently, my Nellie had a mammary growth return on a previous surgery site - it was huge. Luckily, it turned out to be a surgery-related cyst - completely benign but they had to make a large incision to get it out. Before picking her up from the vet, I stopped by Target with the same type of motivation- something to make her feel better. Bought her just a plain, soft bed pad and it was a winner. She's got it in her little corner and aside from me having to kick off the younger dogs off it occasionally, she spends most of her house time on it.

The other gift she gets (and it's debateable who is rewarded the most) is that I have a person come out with a dog that's not very keen or talented and she spends half of her time with Nellie learning what it's supposed to feel like, at least on a small scale. Nellie does outruns and short drives in a smaller, more old-dog appropriate space on sheep she can still catch and Cheryl gets the benefit of a good, broke dog that will show her the ropes.

Mr. McCaig,

You have already given June everything. You've adopted her into your pack. You've allowed her to do the job she was bred for, to the best of her abilities. You've guided her and taught her when those abilities needed to be channeled. You've welcomed her to the fire after a days work.

You've loved her.

She knows this.

This. ^

And I am sending the best wishes for both you and June.

D'Elle

Sometimes all we can do is what we can.

That's true. Very true. But sometimes it doesn't seem like enough, because you'd like to be able to stop time, or turn it back, or make the bad thing go away. I think we can do the best we can with each stage of life we find ourselves in. You, Mr. McCaig, have certainly done that for June and I know you will continue to do so.

Prayers for this very special sheepdog.

Archived