BC Boards

putting puppy on chain

If there's still resistance with a regular lead, you can start out with just a thin rope (or string!). Let the dog drag that around for awhile. And hopefully, you're not really using a CHAIN chain to tie a pup that young out with. If you must tie the dog out, smooth cables are a much better choice. Even so, I dislike them intensely. Fenced yards or crates seem like a much better option.

Have fun with him!

diane

Has anyone tried the Invisible Fence or RadioFence? I have recently purchased one but the weather has not allowed us to start training with it yet. I would like some input on if this has worked for anyone out there. I too hate tying a dog and the expense of chainlink on 2 acres is not within my budget.

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

Three of my neighbors have used it, and in the best case it works sometimes. In one case, it was better at keeping the dog away from home than in his yard -- it was pretty much a disaster in that case.

None of these dogs were Border collies, with their storied reputation for ignoring pain to get their work done (or answer other urgent needs, such as chasing the cat or the passing truck).

I'm pretty skeptical of it, but I also don't think I've ever seen it installed and trained correctly.

Two of the three homeowners who installed their fences themselves on our street put the little warning flags directly above the transmitter wire, so the dog had to actually cross the line before getting a shock. I believe you're supposed to put them back in the "warning" zone.

The third homeowner put the flags in the right places, and then proceeded to "teach" the dog by dragging it back and forth across the shock zone by its collar so the dog made no association between the flags and the warning and pain.

The dog would bolt across the fenceline and refuse to go back to his house. He knew the shock he was going to get was just as strong going home as it was leaving.

I've said before that I dislike any form of shock collar for a Border collie, and I think that applies to this kind of fence just as well. The dog will figure out the system and how to beat it very quickly.

It may seem cruel to tie a dog up or kennell it, but it's nowhere near as cruel as relying on a fence that fails and allows him to get out into traffic or other sources of trouble, injury and death.

------------------

Bill Fosher

Surry, NH

[This message has been edited by Bill Fosher (edited 01-25-2000).]

Bill, maybe this is a matter of semantics...dunno. I just don't like the "links" of chain - they get caught in hair, get more tangled up, and if a dog winds one around a leg, seems like they'd cause more injury. I have three smooth cables - they're less than pencil thin, and covered with a rubberized coating. Very smooth, very slippery, so it doesn't hang up on itself.

I should note that I use these very irregularly - at home, they're in a fenced yard and happy as clams. When we travel and are at a campground or the like, I use the cables to let them stretch a bit, eat, and hang out when I leave for very short times (to shower, etc.). They're compact and light-weight, and easy to hook around a tree or table let.

There's my two cents worth! (and that may be all it's worth.....!)

diane

p.s.: Bill and Richard and others - thanks for all your comments on vet insurance. Much like people insurance, it's sure a gamble. Kinda like life! I'm thinking I should start the dogs' medical savings account! Now if I just just convince the IRS that they're dependents.....! smile.gif

Hi Diane,

I use chains that are outrageously heavy. 2/0, I think -- not a logging chain, but not far from it, either. I bought the heavy stuff because anything lighter was "designer" chain, and was actually much more expensive.

The chain is smooth linked, so they don't tangle, either with themselves or with the dog's hair.

I like it because it packs up smaller than the same length of cable, and also because it costs less. Including faux 'beeners' for each end, a 10 foot chain costs me less than $5.

Like you, I don't use it all that much. I just tie one dog while I'm working the other, etc. So far, no problems with it getting wrapped around legs, etc. I think the heavy weight helps that.

------------------

Bill Fosher

Surry, NH