BC Boards

Dis-Interest in Agility

Monty and I have been doing Agility for 10 months now. I love it, but Monty seems to be getting less and less interested. He started out with a bang (and brought home a number of ribbons and qualifyers) but as time goes on he seems to be getting less and less interested. He knows what to do , but just doesnt want to do it. I have tried everything to make it fun for him-to no avail. His brother is doing very well and loves it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am at a point where i think I should stop it, because he doesnt seem to enjoy it- then he surprises me and does well (and has fun at the same time) HELP!-heather

------------------

Hi Heather,

I don't know too much about agility, but in herding I've found that some dogs turn off if training becomes too routine, or if they don't understand the point of it.

Sometimes a break can help, other times you need to introduce a new challenge.

------------------

Bill Fosher

Surry, NH

Unfortunately Heath, I have come across this before. One handler told me earlier this year that she has had to stop agility with one of her dogs because it just lost interest. However, it may be a good idea to get the vet to give Monty a check over just to rule out health problems. Also, and please don?t be offended, is his weight okay? I think I?ve mentioned before that my girls seemed to lose interest at one time, and because I saw them every day I failed to see they were actually putting on a bit of weight. It was when we were at a trial that a competing handler approached me and remarked on how much fatter Pepsi looked to the last time he saw her. He has always taken an interest in her because his dog is her double. I immediately changed their diet and they were soon approaching the sport with enthusiasm again. I do hope Monty's disinterest is a temporary set-back. Regards, Val

Bill and Val-thanks for the ideas. A little break might be the right thing to do. With Christmas coming, there wont be much time for agility, so Ill see if this helps. Val-Montys weight and medical status are both a-O.K.,I hope he isnt one of those dogs that just doesnt want to do Agility.(if he is I guess Ill just have to be happy with fly-ball, frisby and running. Ill see what a break will do and try again in the New Year with lots of enthusiasm, that I hope will rub off! Heather

I too (or should I say, Sophie!) had this problem. She began her agility career with a NADAC title at her first trial, and raked in the ribbons and a few more Qs in the subsequent year. Then just starting slowing down. I gave her a three month break last winter; that didn't seem to help much. THEN, I decided to give her more time (maybe forever?) off. And meanwhile adopted another BC, three years old with no agility training. She showed promise, so we worked, as I did with my other mixed breed. I think Sophie actually became jealous! She's running reasonably now, always having been very careful and not so speedy. Her first trial in six months landed a Q and 4th place! I can't say that I did everything in the articles, but I HIGHLY recommend four recent issues of Clean Run magazine. Susan Garrett (I think...) wrote a series of four articles entitled, "How to Make Your Dog Run Fast." Some interesting insights as to WHY the dog went from speedy to pokey. Highly recommend it. Best of luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Our dog Blaze started to lose interest in Agility after several months of good runs! He did not have health problems etc, just didn't seem to care about the sport. We started to make agility more fun--a frisbee or toy at the end of his run etc. and he went on to earn his USCAA AdCH. He still doesn't live for agility like our other BCs, but now he usually puts lots of efforts into his runs.

Hi Barb, Thanks for the response. I try all kinds of toys(frisbees, footballs, tug ropes etc), and so far it works for a few goes ,then interst is lost. I am hoping that Monty's attitude will change with age ( I get tired myself, trying to hype him up and keep him that way) We are going in a trial in February, and will see how we do. Hope to make it as much fun as I can before then! Now he is just over 2 years-maybe he will surprise me!(or me him) Heather

------------------