BC Boards

Teaching calm in the house?

One of my dogs is like this. Some of it is breeding, some is stress and some of it is not understanding what his job was. he just did not shut off, was obsessed with toys, always had to be carrying something around, always moving. I had to letnhim know it was OK to relax and shut off. We played lots and lots of crate games which really grew the value of the crate and for settling in the crate. I also trained a settle on the mat, so now I can send him to either and he will settle down and relax. It is now part of his job in the house. It helps to establish a routine with this, such as, we just went and played hard outside, now we are going to play the settle game inside. Another tip, hide the toys. I no longer keep toys in the house.

Yes. This can help teach a dog to settle...if the only attention/rewards he gets are for "doing stuff" he may keep wanting to do stuff. But teaching him a down stay with rewards will help him get the idea that "stuff" can happen when he is quiet too.

And its low impact for you, put him on a leash, get a bowl of treats and have a seat.

Did this. He thought it was just another trick he was learning, and was very intently focused on me the whole time. But that's okay, because it's still a lot of progress!

One of my dogs is like this. Some of it is breeding, some is stress and some of it is not understanding what his job was. he just did not shut off, was obsessed with toys, always had to be carrying something around, always moving. I had to letnhim know it was OK to relax and shut off. We played lots and lots of crate games which really grew the value of the crate and for settling in the crate. I also trained a settle on the mat, so now I can send him to either and he will settle down and relax. It is now part of his job in the house. It helps to establish a routine with this, such as, we just went and played hard outside, now we are going to play the settle game inside. Another tip, hide the toys. I no longer keep toys in the house.

That is a great idea, teaching him to settle down on a mat. I'm definitely going to work on that.

We made a lot of progress last night, he actually settled down for about two hours!!

6847671433_d533484221_b_d.jpg

6847672939_6fe95ecbde_b_d.jpg

Oh yes, that face is just to die for :) That face in the first picture is what I see whenever he's "relaxing". I know he's probably thinking "treat...treat...must hold still..."

I was just taking him in for two weeks to make a video for him, to hopefully generate more interest in him...And after this I have to take a short break from fostering since I'm not going to be home for a few weeks. But I may ask to have him back aftwerwards so I can work with him more.

He's a good boy, and learning very fast!

Archived