BC Boards

rescue responsibility

Not sure if this is the proper place to put this but figure rescue people might be reading this section and it's rescuers I'm looking for opinions from.

My sister adopted a rottie a week ago from a local rescue (not that local but close enough)

She is a 3 year old looks like pure rottie (I think she's more like 5) without much history except it's obvious that she's had tons of puppies by looking at her nipples. She is a real sweetheart and my sister has fallen head over heals with the dog. She paid 200.00 to the rescue. She has been spayed since November (it could be early December) so you'd think they would have found any issues at that time. I'm thinking that this has just started to show up or is noticeable now. She has a half a golf ball size growth about an inch and a half away from a nipple. My sister says it's hard (she said bone hard) and seems to be attached or not movable.

SO my question is, should she let the rescue know and would or could they possibly help with any vet bills related to taking care of the problem. Or could they possibly want the dog back, which my sister is dead set against. She says she's the perfect companion to her standard poodle and is just head over heals in love. She's a bit afraid to call the foster Mom. I said call them just to let them know, and maybe the have a vet that they work with which might cut her a break for such a new adoption.

Don't want to start any kind of debate on the good of bad rescues, just looking for ideas on what rescue policies might be. And I do understand all rescues are different.

my DS's experience has been super positive but she worries that it's going to cost allot if it's found to be more than just a benign tumor.

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas

SO my question is, should she let the rescue know and would or could they possibly help with any vet bills related to taking care of the problem. Or could they possibly want the dog back, which my sister is dead set against. She says she's the perfect companion to her standard poodle and is just head over heals in love. She's a bit afraid to call the foster Mom. I said call them just to let them know, and maybe the have a vet that they work with which might cut her a break for such a new adoption.

my DS's experience has been super positive but she worries that it's going to cost allot if it's found to be more than just a benign tumor.

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas

First, I would want to find out what is going on sooner rather than later. It is possible that this growth could be more difficult, and more expensive, to treat if she waited.

If she has had a positive experience with the rescue, I would hope that they would try to help her if at all possible - maybe a recommendation of a lower-cost, rescue-friendly vet in your area as you suggested. Not sure about financial help since rescues are often cash strapped.

I know that the rescue I occasionally foster for is happy to help the adoptive owner deal with issues. They are not going to take a dog back if the new owner is responsibly dealing with an unexpected turn of events. Life happens, and there are no guarantees.

Jovi

I agree with gcv-border. I would also say that most rescues work with Vets that generously give them substantial discounts. In this particular case, I would think the rescue would work with their Vet to get that same discount for the dog's treatment(s). I doubt the rescue would financially be able to help much with the cost, in our rescue we operate at a substantial loss (on a per dog basis) to begin with.

If this was one of my dogs, and the fact that it's only been a week, I would offer to have the dog taken care of by my vet who charges me about 1/3 of what most other vets charge. Again, since it's only been a week, I would also offer to pay for it, since I would never knowingly adopt out a dog with fixable medical issue.

Thanks guys. I was thinkin the same way, given she's only had the dog not even 2 weeks. Couldn't convince her to call. The foster mom had been calling her (last week) sorta crying that she was havin a hard time giving this special dog up. My sister even said shed give the dog back within the first week. now she's totally smitten.

She goes to the vet today. I'm praying for a good outcome but tryin to prepare my sweet sis that this could be quite costly without a great outcome.

Archived