BC Boards

disc dog

So this is only the second time we've tried the freestyle competition and well it's a work in progress but we only started to train for it in December! Sam did great ! hahaha there was not a lot of people competing in this event as it's new to the region (only 2 of us LOL) but we got 1st place!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151217146930013

think we're hooked on it now though as it's a lot of fun... if anyone out there has any tips or advice on stuff we can improve on will gladly listen!!

Congratulations! Looks like fun. Nice facility.

One thing I have always wondered about even though I do not do disc dog stuff -- how do you get the dog to drop the frisbee as he runs past you to get the next disc that you throw? If my dog has a disc in his mouth, he does not want to drop it when I throw another.

Jovi

With Sam it was getting him to put a higher value on what ever it is that I have in my hand.. so what he has isn't as important I still have to wiggle the frisbee a bit to get his attention and he will generally drop what's in his mouth. It's all about higher value placement.. so what ever I have is the most fun and most exciting thing in his world.. and what he has is kinda boring and not nearly as interesting!

when I was starting out he would just run around and hang on to his toy.. so I would have another frisbee and run around making silly noises, throwing the frisbee up in the air and catching it so he could see I was having fun with out him.. not so interesting for him and I was not paying him ANY attention other that keeping an eye out for when he'd drop the toy he had as soon as he'd drop the frisbee he had I'd throw the one I had for him... he eventually clued in the game was more fun and would continue if he let go of what ever he had.

One thing I have always wondered about even though I do not do disc dog stuff -- how do you get the dog to drop the frisbee as he runs past you to get the next disc that you throw? If my dog has a disc in his mouth, he does not want to drop it when I throw another.

Jovi

I use the command "drop" when I want Dex to give up the disc he is holding. I started this with a single frisbee so he would learn that I woud not throw again until he returned the disc and responded to the commad. Works well with mutliple discs as he returns with the previous one, accepts the command and heads out after the next throw. He understands that drop means the next throw is coming in addition to drop the disk.

Not sure if anyone else uses similar commands?

I have the opposite problem with Secret -- She will fetch a single frisbee until she falls over. She has several fun tricks that I'm sure I could piece into a cute little freestyle routine.

But she will NOT play with multiple discs. If I have more than one disc she will stare at me, watch me throw one of them and then look back at the disc(s) in my hand. Once I get down to the last one she will chase it. :rolleyes:

I've worked on it but haven't gotten far. She will actually let a disc hit her in the head because she wants the other one.

But she will NOT play with multiple discs. If I have more than one disc she will stare at me, watch me throw one of them and then look back at the disc(s) in my hand. Once I get down to the last one she will chase it. :rolleyes:

I've worked on it but haven't gotten far. She will actually let a disc hit her in the head because she wants the other one.

:lol: I definitely giggled at the 'hit in the head' part! This is my dog exactly. I have tried a few times to use two discs but he just blankly stares at the second one I throw as if it were a rock then stares back at the one we started with waiting for me to throw it. I didn't work on it much but was surprised how focused he was on the disc I originally started with. Even saying drop won't work because he will drop it but has no interest in the 2nd disc, just stares at the 1st one laying there!

Archived