BC Boards

backyard teeter

I think I need a teeter, the twice weekly or less exposure we have is not enough on this obstacle for my dog. I have seen some plans for PVC teeter frames which would be something I could manage to make, even some that are adjustable.

Is it really strong enough? Has anyone here made one and have any specific plans that you used?

Personally, even though my heaviest kid is only 50lbs, I like using something stronger than PVC. I also have to consider the weather extremes here and longevity since everything is primarily outdoors right now (anyone want to buy me a polebarn? ;) ), and I've had PVC crack and break just on the tire jump. I certainly wouldn't want the base to fail while my dog was on the teeter, that would not be fun to retrain.

I have plans for it somewhere around here. All I did was modify the PVC plan to wood, add a pivot to make it adjustable, four eyehooks, and two chains with latches.

I think I need a teeter, the twice weekly or less exposure we have is not enough on this obstacle for my dog. I have seen some plans for PVC teeter frames which would be something I could manage to make, even some that are adjustable.

Is it really strong enough? Has anyone here made one and have any specific plans that you used?

I have a teeter base made out of PVC. It is thick PVC, though. I'm not sure the size, but it is more substantial than the PVC that I have for jumps. It is definitely sturdy.

If I get a chance over the weekend, I could take a picture of it. I didn't make it, but it could be made very easily.

It really was just the thing for Dean. Seeing the teeter at Agility wasn't enough for him to get the gist of tipping it, so I got this base and made an at home practice teeter. He got the hang of it after several sessions and I haven't even used it in years!!

Mine is also made out of PVC. Big PVC, like Kristine said. I'll try to get a picture, too. I haven't used it in years, but when I did, it was just fine and no problems with being strong and sturdy enough. I was using it with my 37-38 lb lab mix, Lilly. She was terrified of the sound the one in class made, and having one in the backyard to work on was the only thing that helped her.

ETA: It's been so long, I know I don't have the plans anymore, sorry.

I have a fairly simple adjustable height one made of wood. I know some of the lumber stores will cut to size for you. You would just need a drill and a screwdriver and hammer and you are set. I will post pics and plan later today.

There are many different styles of PVC teeter bases out there. This is the one I have (web image, not mine):

tiketeeterweb.jpg

Pluses -- It is fully adjustable and it is very lightweight.

Minuses -- It squeaks, it really struggles under the weight of my 80 pound dog and I don't feel the pivot action is equal to competition teeters.

That said, it is a good, cheap option for training at home. I think I paid like $60 for the teeter base (with shipping) and the hardware, then I bought the board at a local lumber store and put it together myself.

Kaiser has had no problem transitioning from my teeter at home to competition teeters. Secret was a different story. Once I got Secret over her motion issues, she was a crackhead about our teeter -- it was her favorite, most motivating obstacle. I will admit that I was lazy and never bothered to weight my teeter, so it stayed down on whatever side it landed (making it easy to just run courses in the opposite direction!).

The result was that Secret *freaked out* the first time she saw a competition teeter (in training). Not only was the movement, sound & feel different from our home teeter, but the rebound action of the teeter behind her (especially when she didn't hold her 2o/2o position) completely wigged her out. So much so that after that happened, I couldn't even get her on our home teeter anymore. :(

I actually abandoned it for almost a year. We restarted our teeter training this winter -- I weighted my home teeter and I'm teaching her to be more confident with the movement of the board when she's not on it by having her pull it down. So far, so good. Now to find a way to get her on other teeters to continue her proofing.

*Note, this is not to say that if I had a competition quality teeter at home that she still wouldn't have issues on new teeters!

The teeter is next on my "to build" list as well... I want a stand that has a wide bottom to help with balance.. too many i saw were high yet small base. I have found 3 designs which I like.. now just a matter of waiting for some dry weather and getting one built.. only 1 has instructions.. the others I would have to do the math on.. but I will just get hubby to help me figure that out =P

here is the ones I have been looking at:

really easy one from this old house:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/intro/0,,20296555,00.html

Adjustable height I liked on this one:

redminiteeter.jpg

This is one I stumbled across but thought was interesting as well:

Teeter.Base.true.blue.jpg

That blue one was the design I was leaning towards. Argos' biggest issue is the noise, more than the motion. He will slam any kind of wobble board, household drawers, climb on a swinging bridge at the playground. He was doing ok with the teeter training as far as banging it himself.

Then at some point he reached the velocity and height to get a rebound bang (the sound of it hitting the ground after he exited) and it freaked him out completely, causing him to avoid it altogether. So I need a teeter than has enough of an action that we can work on that rebound bang.

And, I am kind of broke.

Archived