BC Boards

CGC

Whats your opinion this is grating my nerves

a person I know has 2 dogs both have bitten people on more than 1 occasion however no reports were filed

1 dog passed the CGC test and now the second dog is going to the classes

I find issue with this test not showing the true nature of the animals either of these 2 would snap you in a minute given opprotunity

#1 that the lady would consider putting others in harms way and not telling them the dogs are known to bite and since I know they have am I wrong standing by not saying anything

#2 that its not a true test IMO of a dogs actual tendency toward things

I suppose I should busy myself with my own business but it irks me and this person attends agility functions and never offers to keep dog away from others someone else is going to get bitten

1 of them had bitten me and the chiropractor that we both use so I know the bites are in fact unprovoked and that they are not nice little fury pets!

That really is a tough call. Problem with the whole thing is that the Evaluator is only seeing a snapshot of how well the dog behaves. The second issue comes with the fact that not all Evaluators test the same way.

What the CGC is supposed to say during those tests is that the dog has been trained and the owner has the dog under control. If you follow the strictest interpretation, the evaluator is only supposed to "grade" the actual test item, not what happens before or after, excluding any aggressive act. Extra problem point is that there some evaluators who don't know an aggressive act shy of an actual bite. That, I think, is a problem too.

I've been called a "hard evaluator" because I will not pass a dog if I see any precursor to an aggressive act, but the funny thing about that is, because I take the time to explain to the owner what happened and offer a few pointers to help, the candidates who don't make the grade don't really mind and usually end up enrolling in a few behavior modification/management sessions with me or someone I recommend.

I think, when it comes to temperament, the test fails. I know that I, personally, am much more impressed with a dog that earns a temperament certificate than passes the CGC. I also think that it is irresponsible of the owner, knowing the dogs can snap, to continue putting the dogs in those situations and letting the dog take the CGC.

Luckily, a CGC doesn't mean much, just that the owner has taught very basic obedience to the dog. my crazy boy at 11 months passed both his CGC and TDI -- though at the time I would have never considered him ready or able to do therapy work. if the dog only has his CGC, it is not big deal and I would talk to the handler/owner first. Clearly they need work on training and maybe talk to the club that hosted the test. If the dog passed his TDI, then I would report it to TDi. Better yet, report the handler. Hate to see dogs pay for their bad owner/trainers mistakes.

Scullywags, did you report the bite? Did the chiropractor? What are the laws regarding dog bites in you area?

I'm not so fashed by the whole CGC thing. I'd be darn sure I'd reported the bite, and urged others to do so as well.

Ruth

Neither of us reported the bites and where exactly do you report them unless you go to the ER how do they get reported would you actually call the police

Truth is I work with the women I just really posted this to get off my chest it pisses me off really and i needed to vent

we are allowed to bring our dogs to work some and she allows hers to sit on her desk 1 is a cattle dog mix the other some small something and they will leap at you if you pass the desk ....she thinks its cute says oh they think they are protecting me REALLY !!!and my boss never says a word.

And the fact she does warn others she shows the 1 dog in RallyObedience one of these days that dog is gonna just snap and bite a judge as it did with us the little one warns you the larger one does not.

Irresponsible ownership IMO just annoys me

Where were you and the other person when you got bit?

The CGC isn't exactly a temperament test, it just shows that the dog has had basic obedience training. Of course they have to be able to be touched by the evaluator, but depending on the dog's trigger, this may be no problem. In the long run, it doesn't really mean anything one way or the other, having a CGC certificate, that is.

Where were you and the other person when you got bit?

The CGC isn't exactly a temperament test, it just shows that the dog has had basic obedience training. Of course they have to be able to be touched by the evaluator, but depending on the dog's trigger, this may be no problem. In the long run, it doesn't really mean anything one way or the other, having a CGC certificate, that is.

the chiro was actually in our office she does house calls and this dog bite her here while she was being adjusted got her in the face and broke the skin and brusied it

it bit me several months before that it came out from under her desk and snatched my hand when i was picking up items off the floor it will look at you with this blank stare and then bam!

the smaller dog bit a lady that used to work here partime she was petting him and he reached around and nailed her pretty good broke the skin and bled for a bit

heres the funny we work in an in home insurance office why the boss does not tell her not to bring them back here is beyond me in his defense hes very hard of hearing so she pry does not know half what goes on in here

CRAZY

Dog bites are a police matter. A report is filed and the dog must be quarantined for 10 days (at least in my state). There are typically special requirements that then go along with that -- such as having an insurance company that will cover a dog with a bite history, etc.

That said, I think the CGC is a joke. It means nothing to me if someone tells me their dog has a CGC. The only positive thing I see about the test is that it inspires some owners to actually work with their dogs to a level that they can be generally well behaved in public under good circumstances. Having a CGC does *not* tell me that a dog has actual obedience training, is trustworthy off leash, does well in the presence of other dogs or is good with new people.

Secret snapped at the chiropractor when she was younger. She was more wary of being touched by strangers then, she likely hurt, and this particular chiro had some trust issues --- those things together were not good for Secret. Had we seen that chiro again, she would have been muzzled (at my recommendation). She really likes our new chiro, though -- Never had a problem with her.

Snapping is one thing, though. If a dog breaks skin, that is a problem. Going for the face?? Even bigger problem. If it happens again, report it. If you have any questions about how to do this, try calling your local humane officer or humane society for advice.

So, file the darn report. Insist that the dog wear a muzzle when in your office. Since this seems to be a workplace safety issue, have that talk with your boss. In many places, the boss could be sued for unsafe work conditions.

If these dogs are being allowed to bite, you need to take steps to protect yourself.

Ruth

PS - Gibbs is muzzled at the vet. He does not like strangers leaning into his face. I'm not taking the chance of him biting someone for many reasons. We have some work to do to acclimate him to a muzzle, but for right now, it's better that he's uncomfortable for a few minutes than that he bites someone.

Ruth

So, file the darn report. Insist that the dog wear a muzzle when in your office. Since this seems to be a workplace safety issue, have that talk with your boss. In many places, the boss could be sued for unsafe work conditions.

If these dogs are being allowed to bite, you need to take steps to protect yourself.

Ruth

its been too long there is no evidence of bite now and I have to work with this person there are 4 people the boss his wife and this person so I cannot do it without a HUGE problem and we do not have foot traffic in the office even the chiro did nothing other than say to her I would not have a dog that bites and I will not touch this dog again without a muzzle and the owner said oh she was just scared .......again an excuse instead of finign a solution

I have tried to say things and they blow it off

I have in the past had aussies I get dogs that will nip or whatever one wants to call it but I contain them and never would allow a person to not be warned and of course would never bring to the office knowing this

I also just find her so into these dogs getting a CGC a joke

because some homeowners will give you credits for having a dog with a CGC certificate

OMG ok I wll get off the subject

I cannot do anything for a person that wants to be a bad IMO owner :(

I also just find her so into these dogs getting a CGC a joke

because some homeowners will give you credits for having a dog with a CGC certificate

OMG ok I wll get off the subject

I cannot do anything for a person that wants to be a bad IMO owner :(

of course I could flip this over to another stupdi AKC thing right!!

You all would be surprised at the number of dogs in Obedience/Rally/Conf/Freestyle/herding and SCH shows/trials that have a bite history or agression ( against humans and/or canines)

ok see why would you enter these things with a not so happy partner

and risk harm to others mind you i am not afraid of dogs they have teeth i get it but for safety i guess its my age showing just ridiculous to risk it

and i can tell you the 2 dogs i speak of i steer clear i have no desire to lose a digit or worse........

• 3 weeks later...

In the end it all comes back to the owner of the dogs. Responsibility does not end with vet care, food, and water. Training your dog properly and holding yourself responsible for your dog's actions are also part of the deal. Without making ridiculous excuses for the dog or yourself. And unfortunately, everyone on this forum probably has a horror story to match yours!It is unfortunate you have to deal with these dogs, but a small business atmosphere can be delicate.

Archived