BC Boards

time to start agility training

i'm considering agility training, first time ever for me or my dog--9 months. how does one start? i live near tucson--anyone know of something in my area? i'm also interested in frisbee competitions. how does one go about getting involved with that--other than get a frisbee? TOTALLY new at this but wanting to get involved. have the time and the brilliant dog. thanks

Guest Dynamite Tess

Hi Baloondog

You will love agility and if you can give me just a little while I will get back to this thread with a few links for you to try. There are hundreds of them on the net so hopefully there should be one for your area. The only word of caution I would add at this moment is that you should wait another 3 months before starting any sport which will make your pup overstretch, leap high, twist and turn. Their little limbs and muscles are still developing and you could do harm for later in life if you start too soon. Anyway, I'll go search the net and get back. Regards, Val

Hey Baloondog- Agility is great! We started our Monty at 12 months, after about 6 months of obedience training. We love it and I am now teaching beginners class's. Hope you and your pup also get as much enjoyment! One thing to remember, is that it is for fun, exerecise and enjoyment-don't get into the "best child" syndrome. Another great thing to get involved in with your BC is FlyBall. Great exercise!! Enough said on that-but FRISBEE is the best, as far as Monty is concerned.(great exercise with little human energy spent) Have fun!

Guest Dynamite Tess

Baloondog

I have just visited the other dog message board I contribute to and there is a person on there explaining that her sister's young dog has early hip problems and the vet is certain that playing frisbee with it when it was just a pup has contributed to the problem. Regards, Val

• 3 weeks later...

A word of advice. You might want to visit the classes of several of the clubs who train in agility before you enroll or commit to one. I did this before I started my briard and couldn't be happier. I was able to find the club that trains more to my style than just following along. The first club I visited believes in more of a harsh line than I am used to. The second club (the one I am in now) seems to train more with rewards and fun. All of their classes teach a handler other ways to accomplish the same goal without the repetative and sometimes boring routine. (They also seem to win longer with their dogs.) Good luck with finding a club. Also, I agree with an earlier post that obedience is the key. Having the basics down ensures a safe environment in which you and your companion can learn a fun activity.