BC Boards

OBEDIENCE BRAG!!!

Well...the "band-aiding" of the darned broad jump worked for the weekend!!! My boy got his last leg and finished his CDX title in STYLE!!! First place both days!!! We have shown 4 times, 4 Q's and 4 first places!!! Good boy :)

It was a VERY distracting show with breed showing going on right next to us and spectators EVERYWHERE but my guy didn't loose focus once!!! He has been so much fun to work and train...not without challenges of course(FORGING FORGING FORGIN) and we still need tweaks on our fronts and finished to get above a 198 1/2 score...but we're getting there!!!

Already have him half way trained to Utility....any recomendations on getting better fronts and finished would be great...he always fixes himself when I tell him to and he is off a hair...but we need to be strait the first shot to up our scores!!!!

:)

Well...the "band-aiding" of the darned broad jump worked for the weekend!!! My boy got his last leg and finished his CDX title in STYLE!!! First place both days!!! We have shown 4 times, 4 Q's and 4 first places!!! Good boy :)

It was a VERY distracting show with breed showing going on right next to us and spectators EVERYWHERE but my guy didn't loose focus once!!! He has been so much fun to work and train...not without challenges of course(FORGING FORGING FORGIN) and we still need tweaks on our fronts and finished to get above a 198 1/2 score...but we're getting there!!!

Already have him half way trained to Utility....any recomendations on getting better fronts and finished would be great...he always fixes himself when I tell him to and he is off a hair...but we need to be strait the first shot to up our scores!!!!

Congrats! Thats very impressive.

Re: fronts and finishes, I attended a Denise Fenzi seminar a few years ago and she pointed out I had built a rewarded behavior chain of come in crooked-mom fixes it-mom rewards new straight front. Rather than "fix it" and then reward, she had me praise a fix quietly with no release to toy or food. She had me set up and re-do the exercise and only do the real rewards for the straight front in the first place. Worked wonders.

Congratulations!! Sounds like you have a wonderful dog and are doing a great job with him. I have been using platforms/sit box to work on my fronts. You can also use them for finishes. So far I am pleased with the results and am working on beginning to fade it now. It allows the dog to find position and me to maintain position and not use my body to guide the dog, he is presented with the same picture every time. I don't fix him, back up, move my feet, whatever. He understands the criteria for the box and if he does not meet them, the opportunity for reinforcement is lost and we try again. He has to get it right on the first try. Before I started with this he had a horrid habit of not collecting himself and he would slam into me. I also tried just using food to get him in position, his head was in the right place but not his butt, and when I tried to move him he just got frustrated and would stand up and bark at me. So I shaped the box. So far it is working well. I do also use food in my mouth. So I am not nearly as far along as you are, and obedience is not my primary focus, but I love learning and trying new things. Let me know if you would like some more info.

Olivia...at a "fun match" last weekend I put him through all the exercises and for some reason with the borad jump he just didn't jump it, went right around it and to front. Looking back it is all my fault because I never really "proofed" the broad jump because he was always so good at it!!! I never really worked hard at having him understand the exercise and that he needed to focus forward on the jump and then come to front and finish...with the way his mind works I think he was just so one step ahead, why jump over the jump at all?? I normally would go back to the foundations of the exercise and re-teach the basics...but since we had a week before the show I had to think of ways to just re-inforce the exercise as much as possible and make it fun in hopes he would complete the exercise at the show!! So I did alot of calling him over the jump with rewards and treats/toy through the legs...mostly entermiten throwing of a visible rolling treat(cheese puff or peanut butter captain crunch) when he was in the air commited to the jump...so he would run out upon landing..timing of this is crucial though, so you don't reward before he commits to the jump. He'll get to learning to tell when you are gonna reward or not :) I always like to keep him guessing :)

Thanks Rushdoggie!!! That's what I figured was happening....I'll try only rewarding him when he gets it right the first time :)

We did not try the box option, although that was recomended to me by a judge...but the couple trainer I run things by who are super succesful both feel that the work on the box doesn't transfer over?? The dog knows when the box is there and when it isn't no matter how much you try and fade it out...you still run into the same problems..I think the box can be a good tool for helping a dog to sit square though, tuck there body into a nice sit :)

Archived