BC Boards

I need to check this with you folks

Lewis Moon

Seeka is going to need a theraputic tail dock. She has a paralyzed tail and can't move it out of the way of anything and couldn't feel it if something happened to it. She sits on it, s#its on it, drags it through all manner of gahk and it's generally a health and safty problem for her and us.

Our local vet gave us a quote to dock it of $1300. This seems more than a bit high, but I'm not a Vet. Does that price seem right to you?

I just called my vet. They said that $800 seems reasonable, with blood work and all included. However, if the tail has to be amputated really close to the body, that would involve more and would be more expensive than sort of docking, with a stump.

I'd try for a second opinion.

I just called my vet. They said that $800 seems reasonable, with blood work and all included. However, if the tail has to be amputated really close to the body, that would involve more and would be more expensive than sort of docking, with a stump.

I'd try for a second opinion.

I'll do that. She looks to have 2-3 inches of tail that she may have control over. She seems to raise it a bit when she squats but I've seen nary a wag. She'd probably need it just short enough to control it with what's left.

I think $1300 is a bit and I mean a bit on the high side... Depends what it includes.. Do u have a list of what that estimate includes? For a surgery like this depending how short they need to go, can become very involved...

They would probably dock it short like an aussie - nothing to get in the way that way and then you'd have people telling you she's an aussie all the time because no tail.

I think that quote is high. I work in a vet clinic and without actually looking at our computer I would estimate for an adult dog $500-600 for a tail dock (anesthetic induction, gas anesthetic, surgery time, pain meds, cone).

Archived