BC Boards

odd behavior

Our BC, Sam, has started randomly (it seems at this point) becoming aggressive towards my husband. We recently moved so I am hoping its the new environment that is "throwing himn off". the first time was on new years eve, happened twice within a matter of minutes; my husband was standing in the doorway with the light behind him and making a face (he didnt like the sparkeling wine, sam got in a crouching display and started growling, he even urinated where he was standing (obvious that he was scared)--there was also a darker spots that smelled aweful (not like urine)(???thoughts???). i eventually got him calmer and then he growled again, i did get him calm and he accepted my husband in his space again. and then he started to growl again tonight. it was not as bad as new years eve. he started to growl, while he was behind my seat and my husband sitting on the couch eating dinner (nothing different from every other night). he relaxed a little and then did it again, i got him calm and my husband was able to get him to come to him and let him pet him. this is new behavior and i do not know what caused it. any thoughts about cause and what i can do about it??? thanks!

First, I would consult a vet to eliminate any medical reasons. Urinalysis and probably thyroid at the least. How old is Sam?

If tests come back clean, then consult a behaviorist. Start paying attention to body signals of all parties involved (you, husband, and dog) before, during, and after the episodes. It might very well be a fear based response resulting from the move. I hesitate to give any other advice without knowing/seeing the full context because it can be very easy to mistake or misinterpret what's really going on. More background would also be helpful. In any case, aggressive displays toward owners is never a good thing.

FYI, the dark smelly spots were probably the result of your pup expressing his anal glands, which would I would certainly interpret as a *fear* response. A looming silhouette could be frightening, and it's possible that once inadvertently frightened, he now sees your husband as something to be feared (it's hard to say how their brains interpret specific situations such as this).

I agree that it wouldn't hurt to have a medical check, and certainly it would be helpful to consult a board-certified behaviorist.

J.

Sam is a little over 3 years. he hasnt had any other problems, as for his vision...he still gets around just fine and has no problem catching the ball mid air.

i think i will watch him a bit longer and see if we can work on it, before he needs a vet visit (which we still havnt found a new one).

FYI, the dark smelly spots were probably the result of your pup expressing his anal glands, which would I would certainly interpret as a *fear* response. A looming silhouette could be frightening, and it's possible that once inadvertently frightened, he now sees your husband as something to be feared (it's hard to say how their brains interpret specific situations such as this).

I agree that it wouldn't hurt to have a medical check, and certainly it would be helpful to consult a board-certified behaviorist.

J.

this is what i was thinking. that he was scared once and now any unclear sight of my husband is scary. the house we moved into is also much larger than the apartment he was used to and many more dark spaces.

I agree with Julie. I've seen my dogs react strangely to both me and my fiancé when they didn't initially realize it was us (strange lighting, wearing a hat, not expecting the person, etc.). Usually, though, all it takes is for us to speak to them and then they realize, "Oh, it's you," and will usually get all happy and excited and silly. But, all dogs are different. Some dogs are much more sensitive and one scary experience could be enough to trigger that fear over and over again. The fact that your dog expressed his anal glands and urinated when your husband was standing in the doorway making a face, says to me that he was having a pretty significant fear response. He probably didn't recognize your husband in that moment for whatever reason. Now, it appears, your husband's presence is simply triggering that fear response again.

this is what i was thinking. that he was scared once and now any unclear sight of my husband is scary. the house we moved into is also much larger than the apartment he was used to and many more dark spaces.

Maybe for a while, have your husband talk to Sam a lot when he's moving through the house. Tell Sam what he's doing, where he's going, how he's doing, etc. :lol: Any kind of babble, as long as it's soothing and comforting, and recognizable as his normal tone of voice. Your husband might feel silly, but it may help Sam relax and get over the fear, if he can hear it's his "dad" and not some scary monster.

The fact that your dog expressed his anal glands and urinated when your husband was standing in the doorway making a face, says to me that he was having a pretty significant fear response.

I agree, but would add that submissive urination is a milder fear response. A dog that expresses its anal glands is exhibiting a pretty significant fear response.

Was he wearing a hat/scarf/sunglasses/ear muffs or anything else unusual? Meg freaked once because a friend had on a cute ski hat with eyes and animal ears. Though her response was not so severe...she did avoid that friend for a while, even after said hat was removed.

Baring any medical issues, I'd just keep a close eye on him and watch for possible triggers and try to keep things between him and hubby as positive as possible (lots of treats, don't force interaction).

everything seems to be good, my husband is making a point to talk to sam when he walks into a room and being positive with him. husband wasnt wearing anything unusual, our lab molly has had reactions to hats and masks and such but not nearly as severe as the reaction sam had on new years eve. so hopefully if we keep things up sam will get over whatever fear has developed.

I agree, but would add that submissive urination is a milder fear response. A dog that expresses its anal glands is exhibiting a pretty significant fear response.

I would agree as well, from expereince. Dexter hates the vet's office and will often express his glands in the car when he sees the building. (always put a towel down beforehand). This is his fear response to getting his shots/blood taken. In order to give him a shot we have to muzzle him (I don't think he would bite but just in case) and me and the vet tech. have to bear hug him while the vet gives the shots!

As others have indicated as well, odd/unusal "human" behaviour and situtations will produce a fear response, Dexter barkes and growls at me if I leave my hood up on my winter jacket. Once I speak or take my hood off he is happy again.

Archived