BC Boards

Broad jump problem

Alright...need some tips, panicking...

Have my boy entered in all 3 days of an obedience trial this weekend, going for our Open title, need one more leg..

Went to a fun match Sunday and his broad jump "broke"...he went around it like he didn't know what the H@#$ it was!!! ...this equals problem..

My solution is to bandaid the problem for now, since we have a show in 4 days I don't feel there is much that I can do(don't want to re-train the exercise or put to much pressure on him right before he has to show) except make the exercise a TON of fun, throw food/toy once he is commited to the jump, and pray he does it at the show...

Any advice is welcome..

At least you found out before the trial that he was having an issue with the broad jump. If you have any ring gates, you can use them to make a chute so he can not go around the broad jump. You could also use your high jump as one side of a chute if needed. You might even want to stand in front of the jump and call him over it to you a couple of times. When he has come to you over the jump a couple of times, move back to where you should be when you send him. This should not bee too hard to fix, but do make it fun.

Good Luck this weekend, where are you showing ?

I'm afraid of using to many visual aids at this point, since he will know the difference if they aren't there...but calling him over the jump in a strait recall might get it back in his head what he's supposed to do...

He's always been solid on the broad jump so it was a big mistake of mine, but i never really proofed it, just took it for granted that he always was so solid :s Well...seeing the fruits of my mistake now.

If I place him on the left/far side of the jump...he cuts the jump so bad he would NQ...so I set him up on the right/inside edge hoping my pressure would push him out and over the jump a bit...but then he just wouldn't go over it at all....sigh.

Showing at Land of Lakes trial in MN...

Try not to stress about it(easy to say I know=)...If this isn't something he's doing normally it's probably just a one time thing.

Some things I'd ask myself if it was my dog...Was he having any type of physical discomfort? Could he have slipped a bit or felt unsure of his footing? What did the background he was jumping towards look like? Did you set him up where you usually do or was he closer/further from the jump than normal? Are you starting to get nervous about the show?

If I were trying to 'band-aide' the exercise I might do the jump for his meals. A really good jump and jackpot!

Good Luck and have fun=)

Alright...need some tips, panicking...

Have my boy entered in all 3 days of an obedience trial this weekend, going for our Open title, need one more leg..

Went to a fun match Sunday and his broad jump "broke"...he went around it like he didn't know what the H@#$ it was!!! ...this equals problem..

My solution is to bandaid the problem for now, since we have a show in 4 days I don't feel there is much that I can do(don't want to re-train the exercise or put to much pressure on him right before he has to show) except make the exercise a TON of fun, throw food/toy once he is commited to the jump, and pray he does it at the show...

Any advice is welcome..

Can you place him in front of the jump and lure him with a treat over a time or 2 then allow him to offer you the jump and click and treat a few times at a lower height just to add some reward to the exercise lower the jump to lessen body use cause you are really just working the brain ?

He isn't un-willing to jump..he actually loves to jump the broad jump...I just think he is focused SO much on getting to me and to "front"...and has so much drive, he just skips the jump all together, or cuts it as close as possible...

If I had to re-train it I would probably HEAVILY reward a target at the other end of the jump...to get him focused on his job as jumping the jump..and not getting to me as fast as possible..

The way I train is everything is highly fast/fun and motivated, he is always driving forward full speed...I think this is an excercise where he needs to actually focus ahead of him and not on me..so ways to train that would be key..

Proofing the broad jump can be hard because you really can't correct the dog easily for doing the wrong thing..it has to almost all be breaking the exercise down and re-training I think...

I will probably go back and "re-train" the whole thing after the show, but for now I'm not sure what else I can do but keep things fun and target him to focus on something at the other side of the broad jump and not getting sucked in by me..

Normally in agility we only reward correct things and do nada about the unwanted response or offering

but I am only speaking from my limited knowledge and where I train . And I did not understand what you meant you wanted I thought he was not jumping the obstacle and I guess I was confused ignore my response :)

One thing I learned with the broad jump is to mix it up A LOT. I stand at various places all over, not just in front or to the left. I stand all "around the clock"... on the right, behind it, in front of it... I also run past it. I also vary what I throw be it treats, toys, or nothing, and at what point during the jump I throw it... but in a band-aid situation, I'm throwing crap all the time, hahaha.

I RARELY work on the fronts now in conjunction with the broad jump in practice. Scorch did the same thing (at trials, ugh), missing the jump entirely when he normally loved it and come to a perfect front. He's always thinking 10 steps ahead.

Archived