BC Boards

Need a foster home while deployed!

Hey everyone!

I'm reaching out to all you BC lovers because I'm in a bit of a bind and was hoping you all could help.

I live in Tampa, FL and have just found out that at the end of January I will be heading north to the DC area to begin training for a deployment to Afghanistan. Unfortunately, my 9 year old male border collie, Dax, cannot come with me (he probably wouldn't like it anyway).

I thought this deployment was a possibility (as my husband just deployed to Afghanistan a few days ago), so I started to look for people that could foster my little buddy. I just found out on Tuesday that I will be, for sure, heading to Afghanistan in a few months. No one from my family can take Dax and I do not have a good enough support network down here to ask someone to take on that responsibility. I found one person through my boarding facility that would be willing to take him, but I'm starting to get nervous about leaving him with her now. She has 4 dogs already and just got a new puppy for Christmas. While I know she would take good care of him (she is involved in flyball, agility, and dock diving), I'm not sure he would do well with 5 other dogs.

This is where I am hoping you guys would be able to help me out, or at least point me in the direction of someone that could. I am not looking to surrender Dax at all. I am merely looking for someone to foster him for me while I am on my deployment. It will be fostering for a little over a year (end of Jan 2012 - April 2013). I would ensure his vet bills, food and toys were paid for. I would be completely financially responsible for whatever he needs (to include boarding costs if the foster family went on vacation). I know there is a lot more involved in this process, but I was hoping you all could help me out or point me in the direction of someone that would be able to help me find a temporary home for Dax.

Overall, Dax is very healthy. He is 9 years old, going on 10 (we think his birthday is in February) but acts like a puppy. He is neutered and up to date on all his shots. I keep him on heartworm medication year round. He had hip dysplasia but had the femur surgeries before he was 3 years old. He also occasionally has very itchy skin. I’ve heard that’s common with Borders, too. He is a great dog and loves people. I have a list of his quirks I can post if anyone is interested.

I'm willing to travel to take him to the foster home. I need to find him a place by the end of January (I fly north on January 29th). I was hoping for somewhere in Florida or anywhere between Florida and Maryland. I know this is all very quick! I hope you all can help me!!

-Teresa

tbblessing@rocketmail.com

Not sure if you are aware but there are 2 groups that I know of who foster military pets:

http://guardianangelsforsoldierspet.org

https://www.netpets.org/militarypet/foster.php

Thanks for the info! I completely forgot about these groups! I didn't have to use them last time I was deployed because my family was able to take my dogs. I will contact them to see if they can help! My only concern would be that my BC would be in a home with people who aren't experienced with BCs. I guess the foster homes are screened, though, to make sure they can handle it.

Thanks again!! I'll let you know how it works out!

There are three BC rescues close (two very close) to Tampa. Have you reached out to them to see if they have any ideas, or could share your request?

Skyway BCR

Ewenity Farms

Starfish BCR

I actually contacted the Starfish group already, but haven't heard back yet. I didn't know about the other two! I'm putting as many feelers out there as I can because it's such short notice and I want to make sure my little buddy gets a good temporary home!

Thank you!!

Hey everyone!

I'm reaching out to all you BC lovers because I'm in a bit of a bind and was hoping you all could help.

I live in Tampa, FL and have just found out that at the end of January I will be heading north to the DC area to begin training for a deployment to Afghanistan. Unfortunately, my 9 year old male border collie, Dax, cannot come with me (he probably wouldn't like it anyway).

I thought this deployment was a possibility (as my husband just deployed to Afghanistan a few days ago), so I started to look for people that could foster my little buddy. I just found out on Tuesday that I will be, for sure, heading to Afghanistan in a few months. No one from my family can take Dax and I do not have a good enough support network down here to ask someone to take on that responsibility. I found one person through my boarding facility that would be willing to take him, but I'm starting to get nervous about leaving him with her now. She has 4 dogs already and just got a new puppy for Christmas. While I know she would take good care of him (she is involved in flyball, agility, and dock diving), I'm not sure he would do well with 5 other dogs.

This is where I am hoping you guys would be able to help me out, or at least point me in the direction of someone that could. I am not looking to surrender Dax at all. I am merely looking for someone to foster him for me while I am on my deployment. It will be fostering for a little over a year (end of Jan 2012 - April 2013). I would ensure his vet bills, food and toys were paid for. I would be completely financially responsible for whatever he needs (to include boarding costs if the foster family went on vacation). I know there is a lot more involved in this process, but I was hoping you all could help me out or point me in the direction of someone that would be able to help me find a temporary home for Dax.

Overall, Dax is very healthy. He is 9 years old, going on 10 (we think his birthday is in February) but acts like a puppy. He is neutered and up to date on all his shots. I keep him on heartworm medication year round. He had hip dysplasia but had the femur surgeries before he was 3 years old. He also occasionally has very itchy skin. I’ve heard that’s common with Borders, too. He is a great dog and loves people. I have a list of his quirks I can post if anyone is interested.

I'm willing to travel to take him to the foster home. I need to find him a place by the end of January (I fly north on January 29th). I was hoping for somewhere in Florida or anywhere between Florida and Maryland. I know this is all very quick! I hope you all can help me!!

-Teresa

Dogs your dog do well with other dogs? I may have c ontact for you? I would in a minute but I do not have space for 3 however I have person I will contact and if shes interested will give you her contact information.

Dogs your dog do well with other dogs? I may have c ontact for you? I would in a minute but I do not have space for 3 however I have person I will contact and if shes interested will give you her contact information.

Dax does well with other dogs for the most part. He didn't get along with my sister's dog (border/spaniel mix), but that was just a personality clash. Her dog was too low key and didn't want another dog in his house. I've had my Jack Russell/Chihuahua mix since before Dax and they're good buddies. He usually could care less about other dogs, though. As long as someone can throw the ball for him, or he can play by himself, he doesn't really care if there are other dogs around. He is a cuddle bug in the morning, though, and will snuggle up with other dogs on the bed.

Please feel free to pass on my infer to her, or vice versa!

Dax does well with other dogs for the most part. He didn't get along with my sister's dog (border/spaniel mix), but that was just a personality clash. Her dog was too low key and didn't want another dog in his house. I've had my Jack Russell/Chihuahua mix since before Dax and they're good buddies. He usually could care less about other dogs, though. As long as someone can throw the ball for him, or he can play by himself, he doesn't really care if there are other dogs around. He is a cuddle bug in the morning, though, and will snuggle up with other dogs on the bed.

Please feel free to pass on my infer to her, or vice versa!

I will see her on Sunday shes at a dog trial so have to wait but will speak to her and post back to you the results.

Thank you for your service and if I can do anything to assist in making it less hardship for you I will godspeed

I actually contacted the Starfish group already, but haven't heard back yet.

I just checked my email all the way back to November and didn't see anything from you. But, regardless, I don't have many foster homes anymore and wouldn't be able to take a dog for a year. I would check with one of the groups that waffles posted, since they are specifically set up for that purpose.

As a backup. A friend of mine who has two older dogs and one foster would possibly be willing. It does kind of hinge on the foster being adopted.

Of course on your end it is a ways from home. She is located in Houston.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone!

Overall, Dax is very healthy. He is 9 years old, going on 10 (we think his birthday is in February) but acts like a puppy. He is neutered and up to date on all his shots. I keep him on heartworm medication year round. He had hip dysplasia but had the femur surgeries before he was 3 years old. He also occasionally has very itchy skin. I've heard that's common with Borders, too. He is a great dog and loves people. I have a list of his quirks I can post if anyone is interested.

-Teresa

Thank you, everyone, for your support! Sorry I haven't responded to each person individuallly. I was able to find someone to foster my little guy for me! Unfortunately (or fortunately, I'm not sure) due to extenuating circumstances, my deployment has been cancelled, so to speak. I just found out this week that I'll be relocating to Maryland, instead.

Thank you all, again! You all were a huge help!

-Teresa

Archived