BC Boards

Obedience & Training

I'm new to BCs and have a 5-month registered male. Bought him as pet, not to herd, have 2-acre yard for him, but he doesn't take to basic commands yet. When I unleash him he runs off, will chase cars. Very frustrating. Is he too young to obey? Have I waited too long to start? Really love the puppy (red), but very frustrating. do I use treats as incentive, choke collar? Any thoughts?

every dog will learn at a different rate, but I would say that he's definitely not too young. Sounds a little more like a late start. How old was he when you got him, and how long have you been working with him on commands? I got my current pup at about 6 wks of age and now, at not quite 5 months old, she has all the basic obedience commands down plus a couple of tricks just for fun. She's not perfect on them, of course, but pretty good. My 2 previous dogs(BC mixes) had also learned basic commands by the time they were 6 months, as I recall. Without knowing more about your dog's temperament and your training style, I'd just say be patient and keep working with him. Be firm and consistent and don't let him get away with ignoring a command. The light will go on, probably quite soon. If he's running off you might also try some bonding exercises. How much time do you spend with him during the day? You could try taking him lots of places with you on leash, even around the house and yard tied to your belt as you go about your business, etc. so that a relationship is built between you. This should help him pay attention during formal training sessions. Or find a local dog obedience class to attend - they can really help a bunch.

Dear Norman, I can relate to you very much, my bc gave me a real go for it until he was over a year old. My only solution was puppy school ( usually good up to 6 months) and obedience school Hang in there, it is definitely worth it. BC make wonderful pets.

Guest Dynamite Tess

Dear Norman

I would enrol in an obedience class as soon as possible, but you can work on coming when called right now. Wherever you are with your dog, in the home, garden, anywhere, the moment your dog heads towards you for whatever reason, open your arms and give the command 'come', then praise when he reaches you. If you're sitting down reading, mowing the grass, watching TV, baking a cake, and you see that your dog is walking towards you, again give the command, then praise. Do it as many times as you can remember to then the word 'come' and it's meaning will become a part of every day life. Just make sure you are fun to come to and your dog shouldn't need a treat as a reward for this one. Good Luck, Regards, Val

Norman,

Is he neutered, if not, i would highly suggest doing it. Do enroll in an obedience class, they will help you out. It is never too early to start training, especially Come! Don't be agnry with him after he runs off. If you punish him after you catch him, why should he want to come back! You are just going to get mad! Since you know he runs off, don't let him off leash. Get a long line(30 ft or so) use that, always have the end in your hand. Take him on his leash also, that way when you un hook him, he thinks he's free smile.gif When ever you call him- anywhere-and he comes to you make a HUGE deal about it! Very happy, hugs, kisses, treats!

Kelli

Hey Norman, how are things going? I remember when Lou was 3 months old, I thought I just would not make it a year, I was ready to "send him to boarding school", if you know what I mean! The instructor at the obedience school talked me into coming in that next morning with Sir Lou. While I was talking to him on the phone, Mr. Lou bit the phone cord in half!!! He was sooooo full of energy. He's 3 now, just turned 3 this week as a matter of fact, and he is so good and everyone just loves him. We have both come a long way and are better for it! Hang in there,, it does get better.

• 2 weeks later...

We just had our first experience of an Obedience class. Kelso just wanted to play and was really useless but we had lots of fun anyway. She is only 14 weeks but is not too bad at basic commands but really inconsistent. At the class there were some BCs in higher classes so we showed Kelso what we expect of her and I think she understood. We can't wait until next week to show mum up again!