BC Boards

Bonita has Parvovirus

BonitaMommy

post-12889-080532300 1323490754_thumb.jpgpost-12889-017573300 1323491031_thumb.jpgMy sweet, 9 week old border collie mix, Bonita, has been diagnosed with Parvovirus. We caught it early on, but as a new puppy mom, I didn't know about this virus and am learning about it the hard way. She had gone through her first round of vaccines and hasn't been anywhere except my house after I adopted her. She came home with me last Saturday morning and was doing great! On Tuesday evening, she chewed up her Wee Wee Pad. We called the vet and were keeping an eye on her making sure she would pass it. She did pass it. We thought we were out of the woods.

Then she started acting a bit groggy, she started to lose interest in her breakfast and her dinner, but did continue to eat her lunch. She was still playing with her toys and running around the living room, so we just thought she might be a little constipated from eating that absorbant pad. We gave her lots of water and continued to keep an eye on her.

This morning my husband took her into the vet after she didn't seem to be feeling any better thinking she might have some kind of blockage. The vet tells us we caught this early on, and that she has an 85% survival rate, but said she cannot tell me that Bonita will for sure make it through this. Apparently her siblings have all been diagnosed with this as well and most of them have made it through the treatment and are going home. I saw her brother there today, he looked very spunky after what I was told was a very touch and go 5 day fight with this horrible virus. When I saw her, she looked tired, but was barking (loudly), and jumping around in the kennel she was in. She had on a cone and an IV, but was still pretty active. I am hoping this is a good sign.

I fell in love with this baby like I've never loved any creature and just can't bear to think of her in solitary confinement at the vet, all alone and not feeling well. They said she can't have any of her things and I need to disinfect the house in case she is able to come home.

I don't know what I hope for by posting this. I just feel helpless, very alone and terrified. Any words of encouragement or happy and healthy thoughts you can send our way is much appreciated.

Sorry for about your pup. Parvo is nasty. But your vets prognosis is good and if she is feeling well enough to be loud and jumpy, that is a good sign.

Unfortunately I have had my fair share of it. Seems like for a while we could not pull a litter of pups from a shelter without them coming down with it. But we have had a great success rate and the good news is that for the most part they recover in a hurry and are back to being pups again in no time.

Best of luck to the little one and try not to worry too much. She will probably be home before you know it.

The last litter we opted to treat at home under vet supervision. The rescue at the time (i was fostering for a high kill shelter) just wanted to put them down because of the expenses so my vet agreed to let me do the leg work. Not like we had much to loose. At least I could try. One of the pups just took forever to come around. I had a treatment area set up in the haybarn away from all the other dogs. The hay barn is about 5oo feet from the house. Every morning I would get out there first thing to do fluids and feedings and was terrified to find bad news.

On day five, I opened the door from the house and lord and behold there was the most ungodly rucus coming from across the driveway! He was all better and he wanted out of his crate!!! NOW!!! Never looked back and was back to being his same little obnoxious self in no time flat!

Welcome to the boards, and sorry it is under such worrisome conditions for you.

Here's hoping all will be well, and she is very fortunate to have you taking good care of her.

Very best wishes!

Thanks so much for the wonderful support and words of encouragement. This means alot to me. It was a very sleepless night for me, kept waking up and not feeling her in the bed and another round of tears and fears would wash over me. But, the small amount of sleep I did get has left me feeling stronger and more determined that she IS going to come home and we will beat this. I can't get another update on her for about 2 hours - feels about as distant as 10 years at the moment. I am going to assume she is well and will update the post when I know more.

I knew nothing of this virus until Bonita was diagnosed. After reading about it on the internet, I realize how many puppies and families this virus effects and think the following information is worth reading if you don't already know about the virus. Knowledge is power and I would give anything to go back and know this information sooner:

http://dogparvosymptoms.net/

Sorry for about your pup. Parvo is nasty. But your vets prognosis is good and if she is feeling well enough to be loud and jumpy, that is a good sign.

Unfortunately I have had my fair share of it. Seems like for a while we could not pull a litter of pups from a shelter without them coming down with it. But we have had a great success rate and the good news is that for the most part they recover in a hurry and are back to being pups again in no time.

Best of luck to the little one and try not to worry too much. She will probably be home before you know it.

The last litter we opted to treat at home under vet supervision. The rescue at the time (i was fostering for a high kill shelter) just wanted to put them down because of the expenses so my vet agreed to let me do the leg work. Not like we had much to loose. At least I could try. One of the pups just took forever to come around. I had a treatment area set up in the haybarn away from all the other dogs. The hay barn is about 5oo feet from the house. Every morning I would get out there first thing to do fluids and feedings and was terrified to find bad news.

On day five, I opened the door from the house and lord and behold there was the most ungodly rucus coming from across the driveway! He was all better and he wanted out of his crate!!! NOW!!! Never looked back and was back to being his same little obnoxious self in no time flat!

This gives me much hope! 5 days!! Poor guy. So glad to hear he made it though. Thank you for sharing your story with me.

The vet says Bonita is doing pretty well this morning. She said that when she got out of her car at the clinic she could hear Bonita barking before she even opened the door. She is energetic, alert and ate her breakfast!!! She said this is all very good, but we aren't out of the woods yet. We need to wait and see if she is able to keep her food down this morning and will be getting another report of her progress this afternoon. The vet call was ended with "She is VERY loud this morning" I am thrilled that the report is good so far! I am working on cleaning up all of her stuff and the house just to be sure that when she gets to come home she isn't exposed to anything while her immune system is still weak .

We went to the grocery store this morning, wishing we'd have stocked up prior to all of this because emotional shopping is not a good idea and wound up being very expensive! But we did get the emotional eating necessities, ovaltine and cookies. My husband said when she comes home and we are 5lbs heavier each we will probably think this wasn't a good idea. Ha. Can't wait for her to come home! Just praying she keeps her food down this morning!

BONITA is home! The vet said she is doing GREAT! She was so happy to see us and we were just as happy to see her! She has to take Amoxicillin and Metronidazole (to firm her stool) 2x/day and is on a special prescription diet for awhile. They say that she has potential to spread this virus to any unvaccinated puppies for up to 7 months so unfortunately she won't be doing much socializing before then. After all my reading last night I learned that she is susceptable to alot of things until her third round of vaccines at 6 months, so she won't be socializing due to that as well. We are so happy she is home, she has held down all of her food today and is now napping next to me - I'm pretty sure she was up all night at the vet. She had her first bath today as well. She left the vet's very smelly and gross. She took it pretty well and we made sure to keep her really warm afterwards. Hoping future baths will go as well.

Thanks so much for all of the support! It means a lot. I will update as she finishes recovering.

We got SO lucky!

The vet says Bonita is doing pretty well this morning. She said that when she got out of her car at the clinic she could hear Bonita barking before she even opened the door. She is energetic, alert and ate her breakfast!!!

It's good to hear positive news! I hope she is healthy and home soon!!

ETA - we were posting at the same time :D It's wonderful to hear your good news!

BONITA is home! The vet said she is doing GREAT! She was so happy to see us and we were just as happy to see her! She has to take Amoxicillin and Metronidazole (to firm her stool) 2x/day and is on a special prescription diet for awhile. They say that she has potential to spread this virus to any unvaccinated puppies for up to 7 months so unfortunately she won't be doing much socializing before then. After all my reading last night I learned that she is susceptable to alot of things until her third round of vaccines at 6 months, so she won't be socializing due to that as well. We are so happy she is home, she has held down all of her food today and is now napping next to me - I'm pretty sure she was up all night at the vet. She had her first bath today as well. She left the vet's very smelly and gross. She took it pretty well and we made sure to keep her really warm afterwards. Hoping future baths will go as well.

Thanks so much for all of the support! It means a lot. I will update as she finishes recovering.

We got SO lucky!

Glad to hear she's home!

Ummmm... If I were you, I would probably be looking for a few other opinions. The numbers for how long she'll be contagious and the proposed schedule for vaccinations are, IMHO, way off. Most puppies, around my area at least, are completely vaccinated by the time they are four months old. It can also be very psychologically damaging to a dog to not socialize her until she's 9 months old. Frankly, from a behavior standpoint, by then it's too late.

I recommend you read the information I posted in your other "Socialization" thread. Hopefully, it will help you, and, seriously, check with a few other vets. Second and third opinions are the best thing I ever did for my dogs.

• 2 weeks later...

Ummmm... If I were you, I would probably be looking for a few other opinions. The numbers for how long she'll be contagious and the proposed schedule for vaccinations are, IMHO, way off.

I agree with you about the vaccines, but Parvovirus is very persistent and an infected dog can continue to shed virus in his/her stool for up to 6 months. So, the caution about not exposing Bonita to potentially unvaccinated dogs for 7 months does not seem that off to me. It's a shame about socialization, but it's not fair to potentially expose other dogs to the virus, either. Interaction with known vaccinated dogs should be fine, though.

I'm glad Bonita kicked Parvo's butt and is back home now. Parvo is so nasty and so many puppies (mainly from shelters) aren't so lucky.

Archived