BC Boards

Liver treats

roscoe11

Every time i use liver as a training treat Dexter gets the runs. Do you think it's a coincidence or maybe the liver is too rich? I have used ham with no problem. His dog food is grain free chicken and he does well on that.

It just seems strange.

thanks

Umm... What brand? There may be some additives that make it so.

Other than that, the protein content might be too high for him to have many, thus causing intestinal .issues.

I would probably go with the protein content then as there are probably very few additives. The diarrhea issue you're having isn't that uncommon with liver treats. Best advice is to mix up the type of treats Dexter get. Like a treat trail mix.

I used to use liver as bait, and I remember it being too rich for some dogs. I switched over to the freeze-dried liver in that case--they didn't gulp down so much, so fast then--but of course it's not as smelly and yummy. I think the trail mix idea is a good one. I'm taking that tip!

You sound like you are using just plain old fresh liver - is this a prepared liver treat, dried liver, fresh liver that you are making into treats? Is it beef, pork, chicken liver? How much are you using in a training session?

My dogs handle several ounces of raw liver with their kibble at mealtime when I feed it, but it's part of their meal and they are accustomed to it. What I have found is that each dog is different and what one dog does well with (digestively), another dog may not.

A treat that I have found goes a long way with a little bit is dried salmon strips (Zuke's brand?) - I cut them into 1/4" squares with a sharp scissor, mix in a baggie with bits of string cheese or other treats if I want to, and use them. They are smelly, tasty, tiny, and irresistible. A bag of them is not cheap but when cut up as I do them, one strip goes a very long way for treat rewards. And I've not had any issues even with my dog that had digestive problems with many foods.

Best wishes!

Archived