BC Boards

focus problem

Hi - a question about my BC girls focus during trialling. Seems that during the last 3-4 runs she has been distracted by various things. My recalls just don't grab her attention. How do I keep her attention on me? Is this to be done with clicker rewards or perhaps on the long line just to re-inforce the "come" command.?

Been training for about 1 year, this is our first season to trial and with the short season up here, I would like to make the most of it. Any ideas would be really appreciated.

tks

Sharon

Lindsay - tks for your reply - there is nothing recently new to bother her. We have had a new rescue here since Feb but they have no problems with each other, have worked out all things by this time I suspect.

I can't seem to find any visible reason for her to act differently. This does not fit into one of those 5 week training plateaus.

Sharon

Sharon,

Our trainer is working with us on keeping attention especially during recalls. When training, I never do the same thing twice. Sometimes I take a couple of steps out and then turn - playfully ask for her attention and then keep going. Sometimes I take two steps and call. Sometimes I go all the way to the other end. I have made all of our training a guessing game and it really seems to keep her attention. She never knows what to expect. Let me know if this helps and good luck!