BC Boards

Lost Dog

I have a dog who ran away while I was on vacation. He's now been gone for 12 days. Yesterday he was sighted in an adjoining town but was gone by the time I got there. He wouldn't come to the sighter. We put flyers all over the town, and talked to people in the area he was seen, and walked the creek bank up and down calling, using recall whistle. Does anyone have any suggestions about how I could go about searching for him today? Quit yesterday on account of darkness. He is abot 3-4 miles from home, if he knows this, and could make it back accross farm fields without really having to cross many streets to do it. Last seen, headed in the right direction.

I would file a lost dog report with the shelters in the area in the event that Animal Control picks up your dog.

Forgive the post if you've already done this, or if you are in an area that doesn't have a shelter or Animal Control.

When we discovered he was gone, my daughter and I called the local police, and five surrounding towns, the county shelters, Anti Cruelty in Chicago--we live right accross the IL border in WI so get a lot of tourists, got on at least five sites on the internet. Then I went to all the vets in a 15 mile radius, Petco, Petsmart, Tractor Supply, a bait store, two dog groomers, and gave flyers to all the neighbors in a five mile radius. He is wearing a collar, no tags, and is microchipped. I've been driving around all morning putting up signs in intersections with the help of a really good friend, and have walked two large forest preserves with one of my other dogs, calling his name and whistling. Can't seem to generate another sighting. Thanks for allowing me to dump this here. Going to take a break then get back to it. Not the day to watch Courage of Lassie on TCM.

I wish I had advice to offer...all I can say is good luck. I hope you find him. I can only imagine how stressful this must be for you. Will be sending good vibes your way.

ETA: can you post a flier here that we can put on Facebook? Things travel like wildfire there & you never know who might see it.

Unfortunately, I found him yesterday, but he was dead. I was out looking and some very nice guys working in a field rode their ATV over by a "LOST DOG" sign I had put out to read it, and there was my dog, dead next to it. He had not been dead long--I had been by that sign the night before just at dark and he wasn't there then. Probably head injury due to car. He had made it back about six miles and was three blocks from my house.

Thanks everybody for their kind suggestions and support. The internet dog community is a powerful force and able to help at a moments' notice for situations like this. Flyers and signs and looking, especially in a rural setting where there are not a lot of people for a dog to run past, really do help.

Margaret

Archived