BC Boards

Meet Daniel

Last weekend we adopted an eight year old rough collie named Daniel from a local rescue (not the name I would have picked, but..) Apparently he was returned when the family that had adopted him before had to move and couldn't take him with them. From what little information I've been able to glean, he was part of a seizure from a breeder/puppy mill in Ohio several years ago. The rescue organization has a nice size file on him, but for some reason we've only gotten a copy of the immunizations and several pages from a lab that did allergy testing on him about six years ago. I'd like to at least read the entire file. Is it normal for a rescue to withhold records like that?

He's very gentle and laid back most of the time, but can be pretty frisky when he wants. He knows some basic commands but needs work. He's not dog or human aggressive. Also discovered a bit of a stubborn streak in him last night. :D Trying to get him used to being crated at night and when we leave the house, at least till we know him better. I think maybe his anxiety about being crated may come from his background. We're taking it slow.

Vet visit today went well. She says he has the very beginning of cataracts, and some bad teeth, possibly broken off at one point trying to bite his way out of a wire cage. Other than that, he seems healthy; he weighs 48# and she thought he could maybe gain a few pounds (wish someone would tell me that!). :D She did some blood work, which we'll get back next week. Hope everything comes back okay.

I think he's the dog that will teach me to love and trust again; my therapy dog. Sometimes I can feel myself tensing up when he's around (and he's around a lot--follows me everywhere), but I'm beginning to relax a little more each day.

Scooter would have been seven years old tomorrow, and I still miss him so much, but having this guy around takes away some of the pain. Who knows how many years he has left, but then, who knows how many years any of us have left? We will enjoy him while he's here. :)

Congrats! I agree that we need pictures.

There are some files a rescue would withhold, especially financial records and anything that might have previous adopter's names.

You'll have to keep us posted on what training an adult that age is like - he isn't a blank slate and has a much bigger bag of tricks than a puppy.

Humans need a whole different set of techniques for adults. (And dealing with an aging mom, I think seniors are in a class by themselves.)

Sounds like a fun project! Congratulations.

You'll have to keep us posted on what training an adult that age is like - he isn't a blank slate and has a much bigger bag of tricks than a puppy.

Indeed. Every day he does something new. Today, it's wanting to get up in our laps at the table to try to get to our food. <_< Not liking that at all. I've been growling "Off!" and turning away, but he's pretty persistent. Not sure how aggressive (if that's the right word) I can be with him at this point and how he reacts to correction. Should make for an interesting birthday party this evening; a teachable moment, right?

On the plus side, he slept through the night last night in his crate without putting up much of a fuss. I put a pillow and an old pair of my sweat pants in with him. He's past that ripping up anything soft stage (at least I think he is) :rolleyes: so maybe that helped.

You can teach an old dog new tricks--just takes a little extra time I guess. Keeps us on our toes, if nothing else. :D

Will post pics after party tonight.

He's past that ripping up anything soft stage (at least I think he is) :rolleyes: so maybe that helped.

I always feel sorry for my 14 1/2 year old when I have to crate her in her bedding-free crate. Why bedding free? You guessed it! She still will destroy soft bedding (and soft toys as well, so I have to keep a weather eye on her whenever the puppy's plush toys are about, or even if she's (supposedly) sleeping on a rug as you never know what she'll chew! ;) Gotta love the oldies but goodies though!

J.

Archived