BC Boards

Opinions

I have someone who might be interested in this dog -- can I have some opinions on breed? She is about 9 months in the pic.

Eileen: If you feel I should post on Rescue discussion, let me know. I only posted here because I really need some quick feedback and I thought it might not get noticed on Rescue as quickly.

Thanks

Bonnie

ETA: Attached larger pics in post below

The photos are so teeny tine it is impossible to tell. Assuming the dog is naturally that thick trunked and not just fat, I'd go with "Mini Aussie" or mix with a tail. But again, the photos are too itty bitty to see anything.

RDM

IDK... It looks like the dog might be about 17 inches tall at the withers? And it doesn't look like there's much of a stop. Maybe Aussie mixed with smooth Sheltie?

Thank you everyone. She was found running with two border collies and a young acd girl with a similar body but more of a cattle dog head and prick ears. I think her head is what is perplexing. I'm hoping she can find a home. But I thank you all for your quick input. :)

ACD was my first thought too, but the merle coloring might have come from a sheltie or a mini/small aussie. The build and head look almost entirely cattle dog and most shelties are so much finer boned and narrow-headed that I'm thinking maybe a small aussie is more likely. Either that or the cattle dog genes really took over.

I'm guessing ACD and Aussie or merle Sheltie. The fact she's small doesn't mean much: my Aussie girl is only 30 pounds and about 15-16 inches at the shoulder, and I've seen some pretty petite ACD girls.

So, I'd say she's ACD with maybe 1/3 or 1/4 Aussie or Sheltie, and the ACD short coat won out, along with the body type and ears.

Sure is a little cutie! :)

~ Gloria

As a long time ACD person (having owned a known ACD/Eskimo cross as well as several purebreds, and been active in ACD rescue), I don't see any Australian Cattle Dog in there. This dog is merle. There is no merle in ACDs: their color pattern is ticking, which is quite distinctively different. You seldom see the Irish spotting (white collars and points) come through in ACD crosses either. In an ACDx I'd expect at least a hint of tan (at least spotting) in the white on the legs. This dog looks like a working Aussie or Aussie/BC mix, or even just Border Collie, to me. Working Aussies are generally more streamlined and often smaller (though still quite muscular) compared to their show ring counterparts. Just my opinion. Very pretty dog, no matter how she got here. I hope she and her pups do well.

LizS in S CentralPA

I've owned more Shelties than any sane person should -- I don't see any Sheltie in there. Sheltie in the mix always seems to show up in the head, ears, or hindquarters, and it isn't in this dog. I join the Aussie vote.

Also she's still quite young, it might be easier to pick out her predominant breeds when she's matured more. She's very cute and I hope she gets adopted! :)

Thanks for all the input! My friend (like me) always had pure-bred dogs. She mentioned she was thinking of an aussie (along with another breed), and we got to talking about my rescue BCs and then this dog, who was picked up with my dog. The one thing I'm happy about is that she is now considering rescues, no matter what she gets! :D

I hope she and her pups do well.

LizS in S CentralPA

Thanks, Liz. While she is still on the adoption list, all her pups were adopted extremely fast...gone in one week! I went to see them (since my dog was the sire) and they were all black and white border collie marked, except for one female which looked exactly like her. My guy is a red and white split face. She had one boy and the rest were girls. :)

As a long time ACD person (having owned a known ACD/Eskimo cross as well as several purebreds, and been active in ACD rescue), I don't see any Australian Cattle Dog in there. This dog is merle. There is no merle in ACDs: their color pattern is ticking, which is quite distinctively different. You seldom see the Irish spotting (white collars and points) come through in ACD crosses either. In an ACDx I'd expect at least a hint of tan (at least spotting) in the white on the legs. This dog looks like a working Aussie or Aussie/BC mix, or even just Border Collie, to me. Working Aussies are generally more streamlined and often smaller (though still quite muscular) compared to their show ring counterparts. Just my opinion. Very pretty dog, no matter how she got here. I hope she and her pups do well.

LizS in S CentralPA

I agree.

J.

Huh? :blink:

J.

LOL...don't panic.

I adopted my male from the shelter and he was neutered when I got him. There were four dogs running and picked up by the dog warden...a girl B&W (looking)BC, a male R&W split face (looking)BC, a young girl (looking) ACD, and this girl, who they found was pregnant...and so they are assuming that my guy was the dad. Nope...didn't breed him. But I just have some weird interest in where all these dogs came from. Don't know about the other ones, but my guy is terrific. It was just perplexing that these four dogs that look like they could be pure-bred and are all herding dogs were running together as strays. Puppy mill? Farm? We'll probably never know.

Archived