BC Boards

Weirdest thing your BC has done/does?

sixx

Jody will not carry any item through the exterior doors of our house. From room to room is ok but he won't bring a ball or other toy outside. He spits it out on the floor and looks at me to pick it up. Once we are outside he wants it back. Likewise on the way back in he'll bring his toy right to the door and drop it for me to pick up and bring in.

My golden retriever's nickname is "Last Bark Bella" because she always has to get the last word. The barks turn into little whuffs and grumbles but you can be sure she will backtalk until you give up.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weirdest thing my 2 1/2 year old BC does: freaks out at school buses. Like yelping, bark-screaming freaking out. Does not do this with any other vehicle, not even ones (city buses, diesel trucks) that sound like school buses. He has no aversion at all to my car.

He does not seem to be afraid of the school buses -- on the contrary, I get the sense he would chase them if he could, so when we're out and he's off-leash, I make sure to call him to me when I see a school bus heading our way. Then he will sit by me making little whimpering noises until the bus has passed. If one goes by the house when he's in the yard, he yelps and races to the fence, where he watches it go by and bark-screams at it.

I have *no* idea what this is all about; he's done it ever since he came to live with me at 10 months of age.

That's weird. ;)

It's because school buses steal kids!! Did your dog live in a house with children before he came to you? My ACD mix HATES school buses, because she's watched them kidnap kids for all these years. She used to try to escape and follow DS21 to the bus stop when he was in middle school and high school, she succeeded a few times and saw the bus steal him, she came back barking and all upset. When DS9 started kindergarten I used to take her to the bus stop and she got very upset when all the little neighborhood boys were taken away by that horrible, yellow, thing. I don't take her to the bus stop any more...she barks and snarls so much at it that the neighbors complained. She can see it out the window though, still stealing kids. She doesn't seem to be consoled by the fact that the bus brings them back later in the day.

It's because school buses steal kids!!.... she got very upset when all the little neighborhood boys were taken away by that horrible, yellow, thing. I don't take her to the bus stop any more...she barks and snarls so much at it that the neighbors complained. She can see it out the window though, still stealing kids. She doesn't seem to be consoled by the fact that the bus brings them back later in the day.

:lol: I love this description!!!

My dogs hate the UPS and FedEx trucks...not sure why. The garbage truck and recycling truck are fine, the mail lady's car is fine, the neighbor's big Pepsi work truck is fine, the firetruck that is occasionally parked across the street (fire fighter's house) is ok too. But those darn package delivery trucks better watch out! (weirdos)

Meg doesn't like it when people who are sitting down move their feet (to shift position or even just wiggling toes). This sends her running across the room to hide. Not sure if she was kicked in a previous home or if its just a quirk. However, she will at times purposely position herself over a foot so she can get a belly rub by said foot (while she stands over it). This has to be initiated by her...any attempt to rub her belly with a your foot without her starting it will send her running to hide.

This just started this week:

I often work at home and go to bed late so I don't turn on the light when I hop into bed. I went to get into bed the other night and layed down on a pile of dog toys! Dexter has started placing all of his toys in my spot in the bed (rubber tire, ropes, balls, etc.).

he has repeated this every night this week. I now have to remove a pile of toys before I get in bed.

Is he trying to tell me something?! :huh: (I think so).

This just started this week:

I often work at home and go to bed late so I don't turn on the light when I hop into bed. I went to get into bed the other night and layed down on a pile of dog toys! Dexter has started placing all of his toys in my spot in the bed (rubber tire, ropes, balls, etc.).

he has repeated this every night this week. I now have to remove a pile of toys before I get in bed.

Is he trying to tell me something?! :huh: (I think so).

This reminds me of something similar Brady's begun to do.

If he wakes up in the middle of the night, he'll go and find the hardest, heaviest toy he can and then drop it on my face to wake me up.

It's the worst way to wake up at 2 in the morning, especially when he looks so proud of himself, lol.

If he wakes up in the middle of the night, he'll go and find the hardest, heaviest toy he can and then drop it on my face to wake me up.

It's the worst way to wake up at 2 in the morning, especially when he looks so proud of himself, lol.

OK, it isn't a Border Collie, but this has reminded me of this video. Cat owners will relate...

http://www.simonscat.com/Films/Cat-Man-Do/

Troy loves to bury his head into a person it seem for reassurance?

Cressa odd quirk is loud machines like vacuums or lawn mowers. She grabs the nearest toy and will put it in your path. So you have to kick it out of the way. :-(I at least she isn't terrified by it.

OK, it isn't a Border Collie, but this has reminded me of this video. Cat owners will relate...

http://www.simonscat.com/Films/Cat-Man-Do/

:lol: I can relate. However, Kylie gets right up in your face while you sleep and repeats a very soft "boof" until you open your eyes....and when you do open your eyes, you are literally nose to nose with a border collie in your face, up close and personal.

Decided to try bikejoring today. I used to race sled dogs and miss the sport.

We were running along a rail trail in VT that goes past people's backyards. All of a sudden Juniper yanked me off the trail and headed for the nearest yard, which happened to contain a flock of life sized, fairly realistic looking sheep statues. I was not amused, but I guess this means her vision is pretty good since she "recognized" them as "livestock."

Who has a flock of fake sheep in their backyard???

:lol: :lol: :lol: That whole scenario gave me a really good laugh!

Best guess, someone who wants real sheep, but the evil ordinances won't allow it.

As for burying heads, Mav and KZ both do that. I see it as a sign of respect, trust, and adoration. We call it "puppy hugs."

Oof. That would result in a dog who sleeps in a crate at my house!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow! That is a funny image. Strange. :blink:

Not a bc, but my grumpy terrier does not like most men. She loves coming to the bus stop to see me coming home for the weekend when I'm being picked up, and she knows the bus by now. I got off with my backpack, and a tall man got off with his backpack. She ran over and danced around him like he was an old pal.

Clearly any backpackers off the bus are instantly her friends.

Then there was the insistent 'scratch-scratch-scratch' to the side of my head in the middle of the night, very painfully. I assumed something was seriously wrong. Nope. She nudges under my hand until I pet her, then scratches again when I stop. Oh dear. Hoping that one was just a once-off

I Googled sheep statues...sure enough....a bit pricey at $200-$300. :lol:

Hilarious....pretty life like too. I think I would rather have the real thing though, atleast they would keep the grass trimed and give the dog something to do when cutting the lawn (herd them out of the way). Who would want to cut and trim around a lawn full of those things!:wacko: (assuming they are concrete or something heavy for that price)

Hmmm, now if only there was someone who could put wheels on the hooves that are operated by a motor in the belly that is turned on when the sensor in the back senses movement x amount of yards away that can also be controlled remotely…….At a reasonable price of course. Just saying.

There's a winery here in Sonoma County along State Rt. 121. There's a flock of 10 or so plywood cutout sheep stuck into the rolling hills in front of the entrance. You can see the 2x4 supports as you drive by.

And one of the sheep is black.

Ruth

Our Max who was bred as a pure cattle-dog, Border Collie couldn't stand not to be watching something every waking hour (minute/second for that matter).

One day, he and I were camping along a nice quiet stretch of a trout river in North Idaho. The campsite was up under some huge ancient cedars about 50 feet from the stream. Max normally was always at my side, but for some reason he insisted on staying down by the stream and just lay there staring across the water. I kept bringing him back to the tent area and he kept skulking back down to the water's edge and just lay there totally fixated on something unseen by me. I even took my binoculars and scanned the far bank looking for any signs of life or movement. Finally, I figured it out.

Max, finding no warm-blooded critters to watch was just watching the water slowly rippling by. He would have stayed there til he starved to death if I had let him.

Gawd, I miss that kooky dog!

banner4.jpg

Dexter has to lick everything....the couches, cushions, pillows, blankets, sheets etc., etc. :huh:

He is also a kisser, We just say ``kisses`` and the persons ``name`` and he walks over and licks that persons cheek. He knows everyone by name in our family including my inlaws. Not like most dogs who jump all over people and lick your entire face...Dexter just walks up calmly and licks your cheek a few times.

My wake up call is usually a border collie licking my ear. :blink:

Emma when she marks or pees usually picks up her left rear leg but, the best is when she picks up both rear legs while peeing.

Meg does that too...helps her mark higher on the trees than my tall lab mix...lol. She has great balance.

Archived