BC Boards

Weirdest thing your BC has done/does?

sixx

What's the weirdest thing your BC has done or does?

I was at the local pet store the other day and saw that "Greenies" were on sale. It brought me back to when Seek was just a year old. I had only had her for about 6 months at that time. Normally I wouldn't get these treats, but I saw a huge box (28 bones) of Large Greenies for around $25. I thought, what the hey, I'll give it a try and see if she likes them. She is pretty picky.

That night I went to work. I left the box out on the table, completely sealed. I have never once worried about leaving food alone with Seek, she is always very respectful and has never gotten into anything. I've even left steaks around her with no problem. She's been a breeze. :P This one particular night was a different story though. I came home to find the box and packaging all over the floor and Greenies everywhere. In amazement, I started to pick up the bones. Seek was as happy as ever and looked fine. I started to worry about the number of bones left over... I counted 14!! <_< Which meant she ate 14 of them!!! I was in disbelief. :blink: I called the emergency vet and they said there was nothing they could really do, but for me to monitor her over the next 24 hours. It was a long and scary night for me. Seek acted fine throughout the night and was very interested in playing with her toys, showing no stress. Her stomach made awful noises all night though. Poor thing.

She pooped green stools for a week!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First border collie unscrews plastic bottle caps, as mentioned in another thread.

The new guy...well...I couldn't believe this when I first saw it. Maybe it's not weird to some but I thought it was weird....he chews his toenails. Yep. At first I thought I was seeing things. But that's what he does. I have never had a dog do this...but I Googled it and evidently some dogs do their own nails!

Now I have one BC that literally freaks to have her toenails cut, and one that does his own! :D

I kept coming home only to find everything that was on my kitchen counter on the floor; dish rack, loaf of bread, mail, box of dog treats, even the microwave (which was rather heavy and wedged in the corner). Nothing was ever eaten or stolen. Doors and windows were locked. The only loose dog was Frankie, who has a bum leg and old spinal cord injury. I didn't think he was capable of making it onto the counter.

Then one day I came home, everything was on the floor, and he was sitting on the counter but seemed too afraid to jump down.

I still don't know what was going through his mind. Why go to all that effort? The microwave would have taken a great deal of effort to move.

Weirdest thing my 2 1/2 year old BC does: freaks out at school buses. Like yelping, bark-screaming freaking out. Does not do this with any other vehicle, not even ones (city buses, diesel trucks) that sound like school buses. He has no aversion at all to my car.

He does not seem to be afraid of the school buses -- on the contrary, I get the sense he would chase them if he could, so when we're out and he's off-leash, I make sure to call him to me when I see a school bus heading our way. Then he will sit by me making little whimpering noises until the bus has passed. If one goes by the house when he's in the yard, he yelps and races to the fence, where he watches it go by and bark-screams at it.

I have *no* idea what this is all about; he's done it ever since he came to live with me at 10 months of age.

That's weird. ;)

Oh the number of weird things he does...

He makes the most interesting moany growly grunty noises when he is excited...early in the morning, when I get home, if I am fixing food bowls. Its so cute...I don't know I have heard any other dog make those noises.

He likes to play with toys while standing on his back legs and with his front legs and elbows on the couch or chair or ottoman...he stands there flopping the toy around, making his strange moany growly noise, happy as can be.

He also does this thing with the dog beds when he plays, he grabs them with his front legs and shoves them through his back legs, hopping backwards as he goes, while simultaneously playing with the stuffing-less fox toy (and making his noises). I actually thought he was humping the bed the first time I saw it, but I don't think so...he never makes contact with his nether regions, has no other signs of arousal (and we all know what we will see if he did) and he is shoving with his front legs more than he is doing anything else. Its hil-ARIOUS. I really will have to get it on video one of there days...

I kept coming home only to find everything that was on my kitchen counter on the floor; dish rack, loaf of bread, mail, box of dog treats, even the microwave (which was rather heavy and wedged in the corner). Nothing was ever eaten or stolen. Doors and windows were locked. The only loose dog was Frankie, who has a bum leg and old spinal cord injury. I didn't think he was capable of making it onto the counter.

Then one day I came home, everything was on the floor, and he was sitting on the counter but seemed too afraid to jump down.

I still don't know what was going through his mind. Why go to all that effort? The microwave would have taken a great deal of effort to move.

Mouse on the counter?

I wondered about that, but then I moved into an old farm house with a rodent problem. A mouse could run right under his nose and he could care less. And, since then I've seen him do the same thing to my bathroom.

I don't know if this is weird or not, but Sugarfoot has to have her lullabye every night. If I forget she lies there staring at me, looking bug-eyed. So then when I sing her lullabye she curls up, tucks her nose into her tail-feathers, heaves a huge sigh and crashes.

The lullabye is always the same. The song from Babe. She can be wide awake and charging around, but if I sing that song anytime after 9:00 PM, she goes down like a shot buck.

ETA Here's a link to a clip with the song, in case you never heard it.

Kit has incredible coordination with her front paws. She will take a treat toy and hold it over her head, letting gravity empty it into her mouth. She can hold it there for minutes at a time while she chews. And she uses her dew claws to help manipulate it.

DSCN1862-1.jpg

On a hot summer's day, she also bobs for her ball in the water buckets at the dog park. She purposely throws it in, and then dunks her whole head under in an attempt to grab it. Once she gets it, though, she drops it right back in. She looks pretty ridiculous when she's done with this game: sopping wet from the neck up, but otherwise dry.

These are all great! :D I hope they keep coming. ;)

Sugarfoot's lullaby time is absolutely adorable!

Cedar likes to sit on me while I'm in bed. She sits up like a human though, it's very weird.

Wren did the shoving backwards with her front legs thing, too! She doesn't anymore, but as a pup until maybe almost a year old she did. She would hold a toy or ball or bone in her mouth and wrap all her other toys in her towel and shove them backwards with her front legs and hop backwards! It was the craziest thing.

She also makes all kinds of crazy noises. She'll do the woo woo dog when she's really excited, and grumbles at me on a regular basis. There are different grumbles for when she's happy or winding up to woo or complaining at me. She's also super pawsy and insists on clutching your arm with one or both of hers when you pet her. She's the cuddliest dog I've ever met.

Well, my boy Nick has a weird little morning ritual. He does the usual hop on the bed to greet us and get snuggles, then he gets back down to jump in one of those nest-like, plushy cuddle-beds we keep near the bedroom door. There he curls up in a tidy ball, takes one edge of the bed in his mouth ... and suckles it! Complete with kneading the bed with his paws. He's 3 and a half years old, for crying out loud! :blink:

And he always suckles the same spot - it's stained from dog spit - and he ONLY does it in the morning. Just for a minute or two, then he's done.

Strange dog .... :-p

Oh, and his little sister Gael likes to "ROOOOO!" But she can only roo after she stretches into a deep play bow. The roo is squeezed out as she pulls her forelegs back under her and goes square on her feet. ;)

~ Gloria

Dexter hates sneezes....If anyone sneezes anywhere in the house, even if he is alseep at the opposite end he will come running, barking and growling.

He is usually wagging his tail at the same time so I dont know what he is thinking....maybe: ``what is wrong with you``.

Cheese: Dexter is an absolute cheese nut. He has memorized the sound that the cheese wrapper makes and the times that it comes out of the fridge each day. he calmly walks up, sits down, and repeats the same sequence: put each paw up, look at me, than lay down. I think he is saying: ``OK, i`ve done all your silly tricks now where is my cheese``.

This one is strange: He will lean against the wall in hallway and walk down the hall leaning against the wall. :wacko: I think it is just something silly that he likes doing if hes bored....usually has a goofy look on his face too.

He will lean against my daughter as well...(she is only 4). They have been best friends since he was a pup. I will find them leaning against each other just hanging out. (cute but strange).

Piper stands on a dog bed, or the sofa, rolls one shoulder and drops so the side of her face is pressed to the cushion but her hind legs are still in a standing position, and then bounces up and down with her back legs, shoving her own face into the pillow whilst making "uh uh uh" sounds. I've grown accustomed to it, but visitors are generally very alarmed.

Tweed wipes mud and water off his coat on my wall by leaning up against it and running the length of the wall. If my bed is handy, he'll do it to the side of my bedspread.

Dex hugs *everyone*. Like stand up, put his "arms" around their neck and hug them. Apparently his siblings all or mostly do it too, as does his mother.

Spring is not a border collie, but she steals the food bowls and stockpiles them by her crate.

RDM

These pictures are old but they still apply....maybe. I'm so used to having these guys around, nothing seems weird to me anymore.

This is still one of Jake's sleeping positions.

DSC03794.jpg

Josie doesn't watch TV often but when she does she'll only watch something with border collies or sheep on it.

DSC_0938.jpg

DSC_0936.jpg

The one truly weird thing Josie has done is she made her bed one time.

DSC_0400.jpg

She loved sleeping on it.

DSC_0402.jpg

I think that was a fluke though. Once I "unmade" it and washed it, she never made it back up.

I don't think JJ has ever done anything weird. If he has I guess I'm so used to him it doesn't seem weird to me anymore. Unless you think balancing a Frisbee on his nose while levitating counts.

DSC_0757.jpg

( :lol: Just kidding. I got lucky with that shot.)

Brady hates, hates, HATES having his front paws touched. So if you touch them when you play with them, he collapses onto his chest hides his front paws underneath him, and flails his head around on the floor while still trying to hold on to his tug or stuffed toy, butt high in the air. It's the most awkward looking position, but it's so hilarious. And it never fails to occur if you touch his feet when he's playing, lol.

His favorite treat is an ice cube. Not even kidding. He could be dead asleep, upstairs, and if I open the freezer he pretty much teleports to my side in hopes of getting an "icey."

He hates "violent" situations so if people are wrestling or just fooling around, he'll run and grab a toy and shove it into the back of their legs until they stop. This also happens if I hug someone.

And he never just drops the tennis ball, he has to press it in between your knees for you to "hold" before he'll let go and get ready for another throw. I have no idea where he got it from or why he does it, but it's funny-cute, lol.

He's pretty much just a big dork. :D

I guess this is more like something weird that I do, along the lines of the lullaby thing... Before putting Maggie in her kennel at bedtime, I tell her a story (about the nicest little cowdog in the world) and while I'm sure it sounds like blah, blah, blah to her, she immediately falls asleep sitting up and then just konks over into my arms. I have to wake her up to put her in the crate.

Kipp hates getting his feet touched while he's playing. HATES it. If we're playing tug and I touch his front feet he pulls them as far away as possible while still tugging "I'm not letting go of this toy, but I'm not getting my feet touched either!!!"

Kenzi backs up. She'll be 3-4 ft in front/to the side of me and I'll say "get over here" without looking she backs up to heel position. She also easily walks backwards up steps

This thread is hilarious!

My BC, like several mentioned, plays by himself with toys (as the Shelties all look on wearing supercilious expressions, a Sheltie specialty) and will make very odd noises as he either flails himself with a 4' long stuffed snake that my brother gave to him, or flings a deer antler across the room and then races after it and captures it and takes it back to the armchair, where he talks to it for a while before flinging it again.

one of the many weird things that nova does is she rolls on her back and starts kicking all four legs frantically. it looks hysterical. i like singing "everybody was kung-fu fighting" while she's doing it. it works perfectly. wish i could capture it on tape.

My Bonnie, when she was a puppy and all other puppies from her litter happily went to their new homes, took every one of her doggie toys and buried each and everyone in the snow. Very carefully. Each toy was in a different place. Then every time she would go out, she would check each toy whether it was still buried.

Maja

When Dean had not been with us long, I found him one day in the kitchen pulling flatware out of the sink, throwing it on the floor, quite systematically. He didn't touch any of the dishes, he was just removing flatware. He has never done it since. Not sure what that was about.

He has a particular quirk about his ball being put on top of something like a bottle. He must remove it at once. If I make him stay before releasing him to it, once he gets it, he runs off with it, throws it on the floor, and paws at it for quite a while before bringing it back.

Sometimes when Tessa is running in the yard with a ball in her mouth, she suddenly drops it on the ground and then drops into a down on top of it.

If you give Speedy a jellybean, he will put it on the floor and roll on top of it.

OK, I'll play, though I regret all of these today...

When I was young and foolish, I allowed my Border collie at the time to develop some, um, interesting quirks/tricks. People kept telling me I should have had Molly on Dave Letterman's "Stupid Pet Tricks". "Stupid pet owner" is probably more appropriate. Some of her weirdest ones:

* if you said "Toto" to her, she'd attack the nearest vacuum cleaner (or electric broom, if that was the closest approximation)

* "Zipper" made her search out my brother's skateboard and turn it over

* "Rock" and she'd seek out a nice big rock, try to move it with her front paws (digging backward) and jaws. (Yes, she ruined her teeth). (These last three were all punctuated by interesting growly yodelly vocalizations).

* "Tail" and she'd chase her tail.

* "Are you h___" (honestly, you didn't even need to finish the word, just say the initial "h" sound), and she would attempt to hump the nearest leg. (And yes, she was spayed).

No one deliberately taught her any of these; she just associated a word, frighteningly quickly, with her then-current behavior. And before I knew it, they'd all become ingrained behaviors.

Spoilsports that we are, we now discourage such things.

I guess the thing Duncan does that strikes people as oddest is that he yodels. He'll "sing" on command, "sing" for his supper (or for a treat), and sometimes even sing a bit just to let someone know he's happy to see them. If you're not a dog person you don't know what that strange noise represents, so I have to tell people it's his happy noise.

So many of these make me laugh out loud. :D

Secret is all around just weird.... When she gets a wild hair up her butt and tries to get my big guy to play with her she gets all submissive and flattens out underneath him. When he starts sniffing at her trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with her she rolls over, kicks all four legs wildly in the air for several seconds and then springs up and dashes across the yard. If he follows her, she repeats it all over again. She is so odd.

24069_1404235621281_1094094414_31176673_3930550_n.jpg

And she sleeps on her back A LOT

26049_1398057506832_1094094414_31161224_4215401_n.jpg

Archived