BC Boards

How fast are Border Collies

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, KZ is the fastest dog I've ever had.

She's made a career out of startling people, in all disciplines, the first time they work her and see her really move. I haven't clocked her at all, but I know she can out run all the dogs at the dog park and have longer stamina than all of them save the greyhounds.

Now that I'm confident she's finished growing and her joints have settled, I'm introducing jumps, so it should prove interesting.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The faster BCs are running a jumpers or tunnelers agility course at well over 7 yps. A fast BC in flyball is running around 9 yps.

This got me curious, so I looked up the website of a local club that used to have a lot of NADA trials, and yup, the fast dogs were over 7 YPS on tunnelers courses.

tunnelers-2004-FGDS.jpg

This probably doesn't count as it's not a domesticated dog, but I was watching a National Geographic special on ultimate predators or something, and they featured the African Hunting Dog, which apparently can run 55 KM/H for extended distances (so not just a sprinter like the greyhound). Wait til the flyball people get their hands on these guys! smile.gif

I had a good laugh watching this video.....all they want to do is run, sitting still just does not work.

``Should I Stay or Should I go`` Would make a good theme song for Border Collies!

The one handler seemed a bit rough trying to keep his dog in place :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moOn4gXT_kc

Many venues, many heights, many dogs. Nadac jumpers tends to be around 7yps, tunnelers closer to 8yps. USDAA jumpers probably more like 6-6.5yps.

Ok... :-) am still surprise by those yardages.

ETA: Sorry should have read your very last line I had quoted. I only saw the High y/s and was think holy wowzers.

• 3 years later...

let me chime in - agreed : ( a little bit late :-)

and to keep this discussion realistic .

I owned and breeded racing Slougis (arabian Greyhounds) for 25 years.

best time ever - of my 2 year old female was 32,12 sc. (500y racing track)

For fun in 1998 we took a young and obviously very fast female ISDS Border - 3 years , ( daily working with sheep) and took her to our 500y track

she ran 36, 78 sec - that was as fast as our second best Afghane .

so , not bad at all :-) isn´t it ? :D

best

Armin

• 4 months later...

let me chime in - agreed : ( a little bit late :-)

and to keep this discussion realistic .

I owned and breeded racing Slougis (arabian Greyhounds) for 25 years.

best time ever - of my 2 year old female was 32,12 sc. Track record (500y racing track)

best Greyhound time was : 29.83 sc. Track record "

For fun in 1998 we took a young and obviously very fast female ISDS Border - 3 years , ( daily working with sheep) and took her to our 500y track

she ran 36, 78 sec - that was as fast as our second best Afghane .

so , not bad at all :-) isn´t it ? :D

best

Armin

Both Duke and Bonny were keeping up with the ATV a couple weeks ago, sustained at 27(for close to half a mile) and max appeared to be 30. When we started going 27, Duke kind of got left in the dust. When he noticed, he quickly switched gears and powered past Bonny, and then slowed down. I think he was doing 35 or so for a little bit there.

Dear Doggers,

Over the years I've noticed that speed is less during sheepwork than play running and assumed that was because focus takes energy.

My three year old Jake loves to run - he has created a running track around the steading. When he's working stock and I need a burst of speed, I "shush" him and he drops into "play gear". Never had another who did that.

Donald McCaig

Most dogs run as fast as they need to at the time. I've no idea about yps because that measurement is meaningless to me without a consistent test track. Speed is all about context and getting the job done.

My lurcher could outrun any dog he met but he loved to be chased and if he met a slow dog that wanted to play he would keep just far enough ahead not to get caught.

On the other hand my slower collie mix could catch him by cutting corners.

YPS really is kind of meaningless for this, because you're looking for flat time. YPS in agility is actually just a measurement of the course length and time it took the dog to complete the time. That isn't really the dog's *SPEED*. A dog with tighter turns is going to have a YPS than a dog with wider turns - even if the dog with wider turns covers ground faster.

That's not accounting for obstacles themselves and mistakes.

My 11" tall dog often 'outruns' my GSD X, and it's not because she's faster. It's because she's got a tighter turning radius, corners well (unlike the GSD mix), and the GSD mix is smart enough to NOT actually catch her, I suspect (he ran over her once. She read him the riot act. He's not going to do that again) in spite of looking like he's going full out.

Ie; What Mum24dog said.

(Also my BC is fast, sometimes really fast, but I'm not sure how to separate out her ability to turn and corner and flat speed and judge how much she cares at any given time. I might work it out at some point but mostly it's just not that important to me.)

when Happy ran Flyball she was a 3.8 second dog. my other BC was not nearly as fast though.Happy can still run pretty fast when she wants too and she is 15, though not at anywhere near the speed she used too lol.

my speed demon right now is my Toller, here she is shocking the heck out of her Galgo friend by actually keeping his pace lol, pretty danged impressive given her size and how much more she needs to work to keep that pace lol. Happy could keep up to sight hounds in her day as well but she is a good bit bigger with much longer legs lol. Misty had been no match for a sight hound,and Happy used to be able to double the distance between herself in Misty in seconds when she decided to kick it up lol.

post-2754-0-60949600-1445811001_thumb.jpg