BC Boards

So what happens to the puppies when they DONT sell?

So I found at our local pet store an adorable border collie puppy....

LOL I am not even into a red and white but he is adorable! He is extrememly white factor.

376773_280819888619032_100000730690695_898791_142956738_n.jpg

anyways he is 3 months old,a split face white factor chocolate and white, unregister, from nebraska, and they have had him for about a month. oh and they are asking $800 for him. 0.o LOL I am just like 800 REALLY? I would/might pay that much for a pup from proven parents who is also register... o.0

I took him out to play with him and I love his temperment but I thinking for the average pet home he might be too much. He was very mouthy and indepenant. He didnt spook and was very curious with his surrounding. He didnt stop chewing on me NOR did he stop tugging <3 or getting into everything <3 and he also had a slight attitude. <3

Anyways with how much they are asking and how mouthy he was... I was thinking he might be a hard to sell. So was wondering does anyone know on average how old a pup is before its disappears? or do all petstores keep a pup till it sells?

Also while I know its a puppy mill puppy... anyone have any ideas on which puppy mill it could possible be out of?

ETA: in the 1st pix he is chewing on my pants then he went for my sandels, then my gym clothes, then he was tugging with my backpack. Oh and he also wanted to chew on my toes and hands.

another pixs with him in the window where you can see how much white he has. In his kennel I always only find him sleeping?!

300278_280817138619307_100000730690695_898784_611021639_n.jpg

I don't know how they do it now, but back when we lived in Wisconsin we would begin to see the older dogs discounted once they got out of the "cute" stage, this guy looks to still be really cute.

Hard to say where the pup originated from for certain, I just found this article, really outlines all the possibilities from large volume mill to stolen, hadn't really thought about the stolen possibility, guessing it is a rare occurance but who knows...: http://www.canismajor.com/dog/puppymil.html

Eventually? Once they lose that cute puppy factor? A Google search leads me to believe that the price is droppped until it does sell. Or, it may go (sell) to a BRG (bogus rescue group) to be marked back up and "adopted" out to someone who feels they are doing a good deed (and the BRG makes money on the deal). Some might possibly wind up in dog/puppy auctions, or back where they came from (maybe to become another "breeder").

Whatever the possible scenarios, real or imaginary, none of them look very good to me.

Because, I think, pet store pups are either impulse buys ("Oh, he's so cute!") and/or a lot of the general public doesn't have a clue about responsible acquisition of pets and don't realize that a pet store is *not* the place to buy a pup or kitten. People either don't know (I think this is true for the majority of people) or don't care (and I'd like to think this is the minority of people).

These little guys are there, on display, right in front of your eyes, right in front of your kids' eyes, looking cute and tiny and neat and tidy - and, guess what? You can get everything you need right there, right then, right now.

And they either come with registration papers (from AKC, UKC, or some bogus will-register-anything-that's-a-canine "registry) or are unregistered ("But that doesn't matter anyway, and that's why this one is so much less expensive.").

It also, I believe, includes an aspect of instant gratification - there's the pup, here's the gear (to buy), sign on the dotted line, make out the check or pass the plastic, and that's it - until reality sets in later.

Strange, who in his right mind would pay 800 bucks for a pup not knowing anything about the parents.

I could pick up dozens of free non registered bc pups if I wanted (all just as cute as this one)....

I don't want to burst your bubble, but lots of people. There's a pet store in Madison that regularly sells mixed breed and purebred puppies for $800-1000. I'll grant you they are spayed/neutered, up to date on vaccinations & come with puppy classes. But still...who knows who the parents are, what they're like, what sort of personalities. That's too much money in my mind for a dog that's just a pet. (And by just a pet I mean not a working dog. I have 3 that are just pets myself and I love them to death.)

Laura

Unfortunately, they can also be purchased with a credit card, while responsible breeders take cash. Those are also the puppy buyers who come in to the vet and are shocked that they have to come back mulitple times for boosters and actually pay for them.

They discount older pups until someone feels sorry for them and "rescues" them from their tiny cages.

They discount older pups until someone feels sorry for them and "rescues" them from their tiny cages.

And then the pet store pockets their profit, and uses a portion of it to buy more puppies from some puppy mill, condemning yet more dogs to a miserable life in cages churning out litters.

I devoutly hope that no one savvy enough to be following these Boards would ever fall for acquiring a pup - no matter how deeply discounted - from a pet store. If you want to rescue a dog or pup, work with a legitimate rescue organization. That way you're supporting something good. A puppy acquired from a pet store isn't a rescue at all (which is why Liz put it in quote marks). It's a purchase, and its purchase only fuels more evil.

And then the pet store pockets their profit, and uses a portion of it to buy more puppies from some puppy mill, condemning yet more dogs to a miserable life in cages churning out litters.

I devoutly hope that no one savvy enough to be following these Boards would ever fall for acquiring a pup - no matter how deeply discounted - from a pet store. If you want to rescue a dog or pup, work with a legitimate rescue organization. That way you're supporting something good. A puppy acquired from a pet store isn't a rescue at all (which is why Liz put it in quote marks). It's a purchase, and its purchase only fuels more evil.

I agree, of course, but want to add that this is why education is so important. You do the best with what you know at the time. Many smart people start out not understanding the business of puppy mills and pet stores, and the pups are awful cute. Once they become educated, they likely won't make the same choices.

I agree, of course, but want to add that this is why education is so important. You do the best with what you know at the time. Many smart people start out not understanding the business of puppy mills and pet stores, and the pups are awful cute. Once they become educated, they likely won't make the same choices.

That's the tough thing -- some of the local pet stores, around here at least, are perfectly willing to adopt out cats from the local SPCA -- why not support dogs from rescue organizations?

I worked at one of those mall pet stores for 3 weeks... Needless to say I couldn't stomach it after 1 week but wanted to do the right thing and give 2 weeks notice... Anywhos. Any puppy that we did not sell, I was told in training, within 2 weeks of having them were shipped to another store in the country. In the 3 weeks I worked there, we had 3 "shipments" come in... :unsure: I found it weird that these cute puppies they are trying to sell are almost always asleep... Well I found out that in addition to giving the puppies all kinds of vitamins each day to keep them from getting sick (we always had at least 2 in the sick zone with kennel cough or some unknown disease...) they gave them something, which I can't remember the name to keep them from hurting themselves in the small cages... In other words they were giving drugs to keep them sleeping and calm all day long. The pet store I worked at gave the dogs this 2 times a day... :angry:

Pet stores like this are awful, they should be outlawed. That poor pup doesn't even have a decent, comfy surface to lay on... just metal bars.

What a life.

Are you from Erie? If so, and the local pet store is Heartland, you can google it and find a lot of info and reviews...including one from a former employee and listing a few puppy mill breeders. Also, some cases against the pet store and some of the puppy mills. Interesting and very sad reading. :(

Well hopefully someone does buy him and if they are willing to spend 800 on a non register pup... maybe he does have a hope for an awesome life. And wont end up at a rescue. :-)

around here you can buy a pup from a reputable breeder who works and trials the parents successfully with registration for $850

That is actually high...my pup was $500 and she comes from working parents. Most other breeders I spoke with were in the same price range, with very few exceptions. I also looked all over the country & the prices were the same except the shipping costs if I'd gone that route.

Well hopefully someone does buy him and if they are willing to spend 800 on a non register pup... maybe he does have a hope for an awesome life. And wont end up at a rescue. :-)

NO! If someone buys him then the pet store will place an order for another BC pup because that one sold so quickly. You or someone could offer to rescue him when he doesn't sell or gets sick (ie- take him off their hands for free). I do not give pet stores any money for anything...I do not buy other stuff, or support them in any way. I don't even go inside so I will not be tempted.

In his kennel I always only find him sleeping?!

In my reading, I think the former employee said that they drug the dogs while in the small cages so they do not get too active and hurt themselves. If that's true, that would explain why he's always sleeping. :(

That's the tough thing -- some of the local pet stores, around here at least, are perfectly willing to adopt out cats from the local SPCA -- why not support dogs from rescue organizations?

The lastest newsletter from Best Friends had an article or two that highlighted the increasing numbers of pet stores that have turned away from selling puppies/dogs from breeding mills and, instead, are working with local rescues to adopt out dogs & puppies -- i.e. now the cages contain rescue canines instead of puppy mill puppies. Don't quote me on this, but I believe that ALL the Petland stores in Canada have adopted this strategy. These stores make their profits from pet food, toys, accessories and grooming services (when available). It would be nice to see this trend increase.

Jovi

NO! If someone buys him then the pet store will place an order for another BC pup because that one sold so quickly. You or someone could offer to rescue him when he doesn't sell or gets sick (ie- take him off their hands for free). I do not give pet stores any money for anything...I do not buy other stuff, or support them in any way. I don't even go inside so I will not be tempted.

Agree. Hopefully the demand for pet store puppies will continue to decrease and those awful places will go out of business. If that puppy does sell quickly, his parents will remain in a tiny, disgusting cage, and will continue to pop out candy-colored money makers.

Well the puppies and even the parents were most likely spending time in little cages in the first place (at the miller's place).

I've also seen some really really sick puppies with bellies full of worms being sold as "fine." they said the pup just ate and that's why it was reluctant to move, droopy and had a hugely bloated and extended belly. I'm so glad that pet shop got shut down.

The lastest newsletter from Best Friends had an article or two that highlighted the increasing numbers of pet stores that have turned away from selling puppies/dogs from breeding mills and, instead, are working with local rescues to adopt out dogs & puppies -- i.e. now the cages contain rescue canines instead of puppy mill puppies. Don't quote me on this, but I believe that ALL the Petland stores in Canada have adopted this strategy. These stores make their profits from pet food, toys, accessories and grooming services (when available). It would be nice to see this trend increase.

Jovi

Our local Petland recently adopted this strategy (good for them!). Only thing is, I work at Petsmart and at least once every week, someone will come in and ask where the puppies are. Once in a blue moon, when told that we do not sell puppies, they respond "Why not?" Last week, I couldn't help but notice a surge in the amount of people who came in looking for puppies. Guess they went to Petland, noticed they didn't have puppies, and went to the 2nd big-chain store, thinking that was the one that had the puppies. They look shocked when we tell them we don't sell puppies, never have. A young couple came in, wandered, came back to the front registers and asked me where the puppies were. When I told them the same token answer, they looked stunned. "We need a puppy!" Then they left. I'm still processing that answer. I gotta say, I had hope for this little city, and then I started working here and realized how hopeless much of our citizens are. Half the animals are intact, poorly-trained messes, and the owners don't have a single clue in their heads. I could chalk that up to plain ignorance/lack of knowledge, but for the constant battering of "Where are your puppies?" And people coming in wanting to put up posters for their "Puppies for Sale!" (we only have a board for lost/found), or just plain chattering away about the litters they've had. One lady seemed nice, but was talking about breeding her dog, and had been told that it was healthier to let her go through her first heat first. Apparently I have a thing against most things of a breeding nature, lol

Archived