BC Boards

Can you help me with this color question?

As a hobby I enjoy looking up photos of various border collies, they are so striking and individual. :lol: I came across these photos the other day and compared it to the BC Museum website, still, I could not place what it's coloring is. I was thinking it was a really light red merle or fawn merle. In the last two photos, it's with a litter mate that is also an interesting color that I can't figure out. Can anyone help me figure out the color of either of them? I'm familiar with blue and red merle, but I've never seen this diluted color.

post-12350-092867200 1319257087_thumb.jpg

post-12350-063055300 1319257109_thumb.jpg

post-12350-009942200 1319257143_thumb.jpg

post-12350-038455800 1319257344_thumb.jpg

post-12350-080038400 1319257505_thumb.jpg

The light one looks like a tan merle. The darker of the two looks like a sable merle.

IDK, just going based off the BC Museum. Check it out.

http://www.gis.net/~shepdog/BC_Museum/Permanent/BCColors_Merle/BC_ColorBlueMerle.html

If you scroll down to the bottom, there is a dog named Buddy and Lucy, they are tan merles. That's what the lighter one looks like. There is a sable merle named Reba who has those darker markings that are on the other pup.

jdarling - Who is the breeder? I am not sure the "breeder" has a name, I came across the add in ebay classifieds, she is a byb. <_< I know it is not agreeable, just was curious about what I was looking at.

ACK! Someone is selling dogs on Ebay? Not sure what ebay classifieds are but yeesh! Well, the colors kind of tell us the story. BYB looking to make money off color, not quality.

Do know that I'm not picking on the original question, just shaking my head over idiot breeders. B)

Gloria

ACK! Someone is selling dogs on Ebay? Not sure what ebay classifieds are but yeesh! Well, the colors kind of tell us the story. BYB looking to make money off color, not quality.

Do know that I'm not picking on the original question, just shaking my head over idiot breeders. B)

Gloria

It is very strange that Ebay has dogs for sale. However, I have seen reputable rescue groups post their dogs there for adoption.

Edit: The local animal shelter also put their dogs on this site. It's like the "new petfinder"

Gloria

Thanks, I didn't think you were picking on me, you were nice and simply stating your input :D I agree actually....

I found this interesting page on genes and colors

Colors and Genes

Hey, thanks.....I have looked at this site before a long time ago, but I couldn't remember how I got there previously. I remember it having a lot of information! I will take a deeper look and try to come up with additional hypothesis. :P I appreciate you sharing the site!

Hey, thanks.....I have looked at this site before a long time ago, but I couldn't remember how I got there previously. I remember it having a lot of information! I will take a deeper look and try to come up with additional hypothesis. :P I appreciate you sharing the site!

Pretty deep to wrap one's head around, but very interesting :)

Archived