BC Boards

Whistle Shapes

So I have some plastic whistles that I have been practicing with, and am looking to get something other than plastic now. I've noticed that there are a couple different shapes of the whistles. I currently have the rounded corner shaped one. Is the A or triangle shaped one better for different mouth types or different sounds? I find that the one I currently have fits weird in my mouth and I wanted to get opinions on the triangle/A shaped whistles. Thanks! :)

I think this is really one of those YMMV sort of things (your mileage may vary). It's a matter of what feels the most comfortable and works best for you - and I hear you saying the one you're using isn't making you happy. Been there. I use an A1 the most because if feels the best to me. My back up whistle is a Montana Lite. Anything half moon shaped wants to come out of my mouth. I have a brass baby blaster and though I like the shape it is very heavy and the taste kind of distracts me. However, if I'm out in the wind it's the one I'd pick up.

Even though my teeth sometimes touch my whistle I do not hold my whistle WITH my teeth, so using one that doesn't pop out was a thing for me. You might want to try different materials too - see what works best for you. If the rounded corner types pop out of your mouth the A1 might just stay put. :)

Editing to add: I also find that my aluminum A1 is not pitched nearly as high as my Montana Lite, or my stainless steel half moon.

I have a Maxi Blaster - which I love. It is an "A" shaped whistle.

http://bordercollicsanonymous.com/whistles/brasswhistles.html

But I agree with Laura - it is a personal preference.

The first whistle that I bought was the Baby Blaster. I struggled with that whistle for the better part of a year trying to get any sort of consistent loud sound out of it. I finally figured out that it was way too small for my mouth. I broke down and bought another whistle. When I got my Maxi Blaster, I opened, put it in my mouth, and made beautiful consistent sound with it.

Good Luck in finding the one that works best for you! :)

What Laura said. I cannot get sound out of the half-moon plastic whistles. I did well with a stainless one, but then I bent it and now it's busted. I struggled with my brass blaster, put it away, and now I get the best, most consistent sound out of it.

I also have a Welsh whistle that is more like a traditional whistle (ie, not a dog whistle). It only makes two tones, but is super easy to use. It was given to me, though, and I have no idea what it's called.

I have the two Corians (regular and mxi) and the Titanium whistles. I used to use the brass one but it was too harsh. I really like the Corians, especially the maxi size. It does collect spit so i just turn it on it's side to drain it. The dogs respond better to the Corian and are not as wired.

I had one custom made out of corian by a poster on this board. It's the same shape as the standard plastic one only larger. It also is rounded on all edges for comfort. I love it.

I want!! Who made you one? Send me a PM if necessary :)

I've got a half moon buffalo horn one (hey Ray, I found it!) made by Ray Coapman. It's the best thing ever. However, he's not making them anymore, despite my begging and pleading with him. So I bought a half-moon corian one from him and I like it also. I am not nutz about having metal in my mouth, so I am always looking for alternative materials. I talked to an antler person to see if I could get them to make me a whistle out of it, but apparently, it's too brittle or something. Anyway, as far as shape, I'm not a fan of the little tab things on the sides, so I have the ones shaped like this:

CW3ENESm.jpg

I want!! Who made you one? Send me a PM if necessary :)

Thanks to JDarling for jogging my memory. It was Ray Coapman. The whistle is very nice and incredibly easy to play. Ray was also a treasure trove of information. I chosw the bigger whistle because, at 6'5" and 220#, the regular ones seemed small.

A little DIY hint: The lanyards with the fine loop of line on the end that come with (some) flash/thumb/memory drives/sticks make great whistle lanyards. The loop is lighter than the clips and doesn't damage the whistle.

Since mouths come in different shapes and sizes you'll have to try the different shapes and materials until you find what works best for you.

I've used 6 different whistles (different in thickness, size, shape, and material) until I settled on the two I am using now.

I also think that if you have success with a first whistle and like it, then you're probably more inclined to continue using whistles of that shape/size. Otherwise, you end up like Laura, owning a bunch of different whistles you don't like so much while you try to find one you do like. ;) I can't get another Arnold whistle, and the people who own them won't part with them, even if they don't use them themselves. I had two and lost one. I also have a brass copy made by Rob Drummond, but it's a little thicker and I don't particularly like the taste of the brass in my mouth. I am hanging on hard to the one remaining stainless steel Arnold whistle I have. I'm not looking forward to having to shop for a new whistle, but will probably start by looking for whistles that are shaped similarly, perhaps in Corian instead of stainless steel.

If you have friends who have different whistles, you might be able to convince them to let you try theirs so that you can narrow down features you like and dislike.

J.

perhaps in Corian instead of stainless steel.

J.

I love my Corian whistle. The only down side is that they are breakable. Being paranoid about breaking a custom whistle leads me to keep mine in the case my glasses came in, when it's not around my neck.

I had one custom made out of corian by a poster on this board. It's the same shape as the standard plastic one only larger. It also is rounded on all edges for comfort. I love it.

I have wanted to find a bigger version of the plastic ones in corian!!! Maybe I just have a big mouth but the shape of the plastic ones fit, the size just isn't wide enough for me so I almost spit it out when I blow!!

I have wanted to find a bigger version of the plastic ones in corian!!! Maybe I just have a big mouth but the shape of the plastic ones fit, the size just isn't wide enough for me so I almost spit it out when I blow!!

Exactly. I e-mailed several retailers looking for a larger whistle and finally just broke down and ordered one from Ray Coapman. As I said earlier, I love it.

Archived