BC Boards

Question for raw feeders

daisyandme

Can you tell me your thoughts on feeding chicken legs? I am concerned about breaking teeth.

I have given them lately and just had a look at Daisy's teeth and noticed not a tooth completely broken, but the edge looks like it has lost its smoothness.....like very very very small piece missing. Maybe I better go back to wings and breasts.

I don't want to give up entirely because her teeth get so dirty so fast and she refuses to let me clean them with a brush...it is a battle just to look at her teeth.

Thanks for the help.

I've never had a problem with chicken bones (or pork or lamb bones) and I've been feeding raw for 5+ years to 4 different dogs. Scorch does have "tennis ball mouth"... the tips of his canines are a little worn from catching/fetching the abrasive tennis ball, and I've seen dogs get slab fractures from nylabones or hollow leg bones (whether raw fed or purchased from a pet store). So there is plenty out there that I would consider more dangerous than raw chicken bones.

Which tooth is it? Canine, molar, etc?

It is the last premolar before the molar on the top and the first molar before the premolar on the bottom. So it almost looks like she tried to break something by placing it toward the back of her mouth. The only thing I give her to chew on is meaty chicken bones (breast, wings, and now legs). However, I have caught her trying to chew on tree branches in the firewood pile. And when she chews, she chews to break. She also likes to chew on her rubber chuck it ball.

Maybe it is abrasion from trying to chew something she wasn't suppose to. All I know is she chews to destroy and I was nervous that maybe her teeth are too soft for bones, but her teeth get so dirty so fast. In fact, she has been eating raw for almost a month and she still does not have all the tarter gone...getting better but still. And she is really young still too. Just turned 2.

Does eating raw wear teeth faster?

I've not seen any increased wear on my raw-fed guys. My guys have a little tartar occasionally but my vet can't believe that my 6 year olds and my 4 year old still don't need dentals. Raw isn't a cure-all for teeth cleaning but my guys whites are pretty pearly. The improvement for my former kibble dogs wasn't instant and they still get brown staining sometimes. The biggest thing my vet looks for is the pink/red line along the gums signaling gingivitis, and my guys don't have that.

Archived