BC Boards

Urgent-- mojo needed!!

She's back at the vet today. She refused her small breakfast and was trembling and rigid with pain this morning. Her vitals are normal and today's ultrasound looked good--no sign of leakage. They're keeping her on IV pain meds and fluids. What is so frightening to me is that even before she had the surgery to remove the blockage, there was necrosis, and yet her blood work and vitals were all normal. She looked worse this morning than I've seen her look throughout this ordeal--it broke my heart to see her in such distress.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She's out of surgery and the vet feels confident they've determined the cause of her relapse and repaired it. There appeared to be some tissue dying at the site of the original resection, so another resection was done. I don't know how long they'd like to keep her this time, but I plan on visiting her tomorrow. My poor dear Kit. It was a week ago today that she began to show symptoms. I hope the next several days pass without incident. Please keep her in your thoughts.

Oh no! That's exactly what happened to Lacee. But with her, because her tumor was cancerous, another surgery would not have helped. I so remember her trembling with pain also, and looking worse than when she first went in.

I SO hope Kit will kick this in the butt!! Keep the faith and I'm praying very hard for her.

Nancy -- just now reading this. How absolutely scary, but coming on late, I saved myself the anguish of hoping that she'd be OK, since your scary story has a happy ending.

I've had two dogs with obstructions. One, Tam, now an old geezer, a dog who never stooped to play with toys, gulped down a portion of a rubber ball from a field that had just been mowed. 3 weeks later, messing around with different treatments, Tam lost a lot of weight, quickly, and his just hung on him in folds. I took him to another vet, who opened him up and removed 18 inches of necrotic bowel and half a small rubber ball. He's been doing great ever since.

Then there was Obi, a year old pup, who unbeknownst to me, jumped up on the counter and scarfed down a couple of peaches. He started puking violently the next day. They opened him up and removed a peach pit. He got worse though. Sometime overnight, the sutures came apart in his abdomen and his entire abdominal cavity was "poisoned". I got a call late one evening from the vet who, upon opening him up again, told me what she found and was asking for permission to euthanize him. I gave my consent and said good-bye to Obi then and there. This was a heartbreaker because he was such an appealing little guy.

So when I read of yours and Kit's situation, I got a sick feeling in the pit of my gut. So glad you and Kit have a happy ending!

This all seems so unfair to me. One of the labs I take care of ate 4 pairs of boxer shorts in one sitting. He threw up two pair and pooped out the other two pair. No problems. Another part lab I have ate everything - he ate whole sheets and blankets after he had torn them up. He always just pooped it all out.

And here is poor Kit who eats two little booties and they got stuck.

But sounds like Kit is on the mend.

Yes!

Oh gosh, that sounds so similar to what I went through with Ollie. He also had to have a second surgery due to complications after the first one. It was sooo scary and I felt so helpless. But, he did really well after the second surgery and I hope that you will have the same outcome with Kit. Sending all the positive, healing energy I can muster your way.

Archived