BC Boards

Southern PA, 3 yr old male BC living on chain with 80 yr olds

A teamate on my flyball team heard of two Border Collies needing help. Both male, 1 yr old and 3 yr old, living with people in their EIGHTIES , chained in the yard.Each morning the man tied their chain to his golf cart and runs them around his field for excercise.Wife took ill and they realize they cannot care for these dogs. ( Ya think ! ). My friend picked them up, she is keeping the 1 yr old, the 3 yr old needs a home. They are both sweet , loving, cuddlebunnies , obviously the dog will need time, work, commitment, and patience but at least is young and good-tempered.On the small side, classic black and white medium/rough.I have his picture on my Facebook page, will try and get a pic I can post here.He looks surprisingly good and is wearing a sweet smile.We are in south central PA not far from the Maryland line.

If anyone is interested, please email me KitKat2205@aol.com I'll be honest upfront, if I don't recognize you,before I respond I'll be checking with people I know ( Betty ,Paula ) or with Julie, just to make sure you are okay.As anyone would, to protect this sweet guy.

Thank You !

Kat, owned by Finn

Great that you're helping these dogs (although I don't think being 80 necessarily rules you out as a dog owner), but if you're only considering people who you know or who know people who you know, why are you posting this in a public list? Makes much more sense to pass the word locally . . .

Kim

(Who is hot and cranky after putting in fence all day)

Great that you're helping these dogs (although I don't think being 80 necessarily rules you out as a dog owner), but if you're only considering people who you know or who know people who you know, why are you posting this in a public list? Makes much more sense to pass the word locally . . .

Kim

(Who is hot and cranky after putting in fence all day)

Hi Kim,

Considering the dogs are 1 and 3, and a breed which needs a job and a lot of physical activity, what is the future for these dogs even if they were being cared for properly ? The man is 84, the wife, 80-something ,health failing.However they are NOT being cared for properly, they are chained outside all year long.

As far as screening people, all I meant was that, if someone from Timbucktoo joined the board tomorrow out of nowhere and had no references, and wanted the dog, sorry- it would be a no.And if someone 84 years old wanted the dog, I'm sorry again it would be a no.

I don't post too often on here myself as you can see from my profile,I lose myself on this board timewise, can't stop reading and end up being late for things, ha ha, so just pop in here and there.But there are folks whose posts I've been reading for years, and a few people on here I have interacted with away from this board and whose judgement I would trust. I would never just hand a dog over to " anyone " , so that's all I meant. I have passed the word locally, but for all I know there are good people on this board who are within driving distance.I'm trying to cover as many bases as possible to find the forever home this boy is waiting for.

Kat, who has never put in a fence but has certainly been hot and cranky at times :mellow:

A teamate on my flyball team heard of two Border Collies needing help. Both male, 1 yr old and 3 yr old, living with people in their EIGHTIES , chained in the yard.Each morning the man tied their chain to his golf cart and runs them around his field for excercise.Wife took ill and they realize they cannot care for these dogs. ( Ya think ! ).

Being 80 doesn't mean one can't have a thriving dog. Failing health or neglect is different (at any age). Making arrangements for your pets to be well taken care off if something were to happen to you, valid at all ages.

Many people trial late into their golden years. The dog runs to get the sheep while the handler barely leaves the post! Or one can do agility, perhaps not competitively, but the dog can run the course using voice or hand commands without the handler running by.

Or this 82yr old whose border collie has a job learning words:

living with people in their EIGHTIES , chained in the yard.Each morning the man tied their chain to his golf cart and runs them around his field for excercise.Wife took ill and they realize they cannot care for these dogs. ( Ya think ! ).

Yep, check that age attitude at the door, please.

People can, should, and do make arrangements for their dogs in the case of ill health. Don't assume that they couldn't or wouldn't have done so. And don't make statements categorizing who can or can't take care of border collies. It's pretty offensive.

Kat - I think it's lovely you're helping these dogs. I also think it's ridiculous that someone would respond to your kindness by suggesting people shouldn't post dogs in need on this forum, and doG forbid they should be selective about their placements if they dare to do it.

I think people in their 80s who exercise their dogs by chaining them to a golf cart are probably not in a position to own adolescent border collies, and I think it's ridiculous that anyone would question that, no matter how cranky they are.

Good luck finding Jake a good home. He's a handsome dog :)

RDM

Kat - I think it's lovely you're helping these dogs. I also think it's ridiculous that someone would respond to your kindness by suggesting people shouldn't post dogs in need on this forum, and doG forbid they should be selective about their placements if they dare to do it.

I think people in their 80s who exercise their dogs by chaining them to a golf cart are probably not in a position to own adolescent border collies, and I think it's ridiculous that anyone would question that, no matter how cranky they are.

Good luck finding Jake a good home. He's a handsome dog :)

RDM

Thank you for understanding, Mr Snappy :)

I apologize for taking it off topic, and for being grumpy. I felt defensive for my friend Kat, who never posts here, and when she does, her trying to help a dog in a bad situation was met with, well, whatever...

Again, my apologies. I think the overall tone of the Board lately has gotten to me, but that's no excuse.

AAACCK I didn't mean to start all this. :( Let me clarify - too old is something determined on an individual basis. I vounteer for a wildlife rehabilitator who is 80 and I cannot now nor could ever in my past 9 years of volunteering, keep up with her. She wins gold medals in the senior olympics every year.

The picture of Jake chained to some heap of metal enraged me beyond belief and also made me cry. We have had horrendous flooding in this area and tropical storm Lee which gave us drenching rain for 2 weeks.Two weeks that Jake and his brother spent outside in it.Not to mention last winter,and the winter before.

I am furious at these particular 80 year olds for putting these dogs through that.

I didn't mean to offend anyone, but I also don't give a crap about political correctness, I ONLY care about the dog- period.The dog is all that matters to me, and trying to find him a home he will never have to be re-homed from.

I hope when I'm 84 I still have dogs, I wouldn't want to live without them, but my husband and I have discussed that in a few more years we will limit ourselves to adopting older Border Collies who need a home so we can grow old together and we are nowhere near 80.

So hopefully the focus can stay on Jake, again I apologize to those who think I am a jerk, and Thank those who understand what I'm trying to say.

And thank you to the person who has already been in touch, I let my friend know.

Kat, who doesn't like arguing :angry: it makes her tummy hurt . :(

I apologize for taking it off topic, and for being grumpy. I felt defensive for my friend Kat, who never posts here, and when she does, her trying to help a dog in a bad situation was met with, well, whatever...

Again, my apologies. I think the overall tone of the Board lately has gotten to me, but that's no excuse.

Thanks again Paula, you didn't know your friend Kat was such a rabble-rousing troublemaker :P (actually neither did I :unsure: )

And here I thought Kim asked a couple of good clarifying questions... which were then given a couple of good clarifying answers by the OP... :huh:

Kat - thanks for working to find an appropriate home for this very deserving dog :)

Thanks Maralynn, 'preciate it :)

I want to adopt Finn!! :D Just kidding....but he sure is stunning in that picture!

Seriously, I am in southwestern Pa and will keep my ears open and keep these dogs in mind. Can't do more than that, since I just recently adopted a rescue of my own.

Bonnie

The picture of Jake chained to some heap of metal enraged me beyond belief and also made me cry. We have had horrendous flooding in this area and tropical storm Lee which gave us drenching rain for 2 weeks.Two weeks that Jake and his brother spent outside in it.Not to mention last winter,and the winter before.

I am furious at these particular 80 year olds for putting these dogs through that.

The ages of the owners is irrelevant; it's the way they're caring (or not caring) for these two dogs. Maybe when they were younger, they had other dogs they treated the same way. We have neighbors in their early thirties who leave their two boxers in a pen outside in all kinds of weather; the dogs bark all day and some day one or both of them is going to get out and hurt someone. The owner even admitted to me once that if he's gone, his wife wouldn't be able to control them. They are the next generation of 80 year old abusers. :angry:

I want to adopt Finn!! :D Just kidding....but he sure is stunning in that picture!

Seriously, I am in southwestern Pa and will keep my ears open and keep these dogs in mind. Can't do more than that, since I just recently adopted a rescue of my own.

Bonnie

HA HA :D Thank you Bonnie , he did turn out very handsome.He was such a goober as a kid, ears like elephant's ears and I thought he was a smoothie.

Thank you for keeping Jake in mind ( my friend is keeping the other one ) and congrats on your new addition :D

The ages of the owners is irrelevant; it's the way they're caring (or not caring) for these two dogs. Maybe when they were younger, they had other dogs they treated the same way. We have neighbors in their early thirties who leave their two boxers in a pen outside in all kinds of weather; the dogs bark all day and some day one or both of them is going to get out and hurt someone. The owner even admitted to me once that if he's gone, his wife wouldn't be able to control them. They are the next generation of 80 year old abusers. :angry:

That's so sad :( I don't understand why people like that HAVE dogs-what's the point ? Boxers are so sweet and friendly and family/pack oriented, those poor dogs.

Thank you Kris :)

And just wanted to let everyone know that Jake went to his forever home today :D A teamates-sister's-co-worker adopted him and he is happy happy happy in his new home.Must be a very sweet dog to not have lost his happiness and friendliness while living on a chain. Thank You to eveyone who inquired, and wished him well :)

Archived