BC Boards

where is a good place to talk sheepdog training

kelpiegirl

Julie,

Do you have someone who can help you locally? You can try joining sheepdog-L (yahoogroups) or workingsheepdog (international, also on yahoogroups, though I think you have to ask to join and be approved before posting anything) to ask training questions, and you'll get answers, but the big problem with trying to train your dog with help from folks over the Internet is that no one can actually see your dog and everyone has to make assumptions based on your written descriptions of what's going on--which means that the advice you get may not be exactly on target. And a lot of people are hesitant to post training solutions for that very reason. That said, head on over to yahoo groups and find either list, join, and start asking.

J.

Um, I'll have to get the e-mail of the moderator. I think you e-mail her and then she adds you--let me go look.... ETA: I checked the site and e-mailed the moderator. When I have word back from her I'll pass the necessary info along. (The group was taken private after some problems with certain individuals--that's why you can't find it just by searching Yahoo! groups. Sorry 'bout that!)

J.

Bill's right, you can also try the working stockdog forum. That forum isn't breed specific (though most have border collies), so you may find people with experience with your breed. I was thinking of e-mail lists and not other bulletin boards. Littlehats (http://www.littlehats.net) might also be helpful, although the last time I checked, there seemed to be some question over the lack of a resident expert. Be aware that no matter what forum you try, many people will not feel comfortable giving training advice without being able to see the dog/problem in question. But all of them should be happy to answer stupid questions! :rolleyes:

I would think, though, that your trainer would be the go-to person, even for the silliest of questions.

J.

Thanks for posting the Little Hats site! I've never see it and it is fabulous so far! :rolleyes:

I am on the Working Dogs site, it's a bit quiet but lots of the people who are on there have loads of knowledge for ya if ya ask

although I had visited the littlehats website before, I must have missed the chat forum. I have now found it, although it doesn't seem to be very active at the moment, I have read through many, many pages of "ask the expert" . What a world of knowledge there! Thanks for bringing that forum to my attention !

The working stockdog forum is also an absolutely fantastic site, full of good advice and friendly people :rolleyes:

Of course, I also feel that this board is outstanding as well, great people again with great advice!

So many great sites! So many wonderful people! Being absolutely and irreverseably (did I spell that right?) addicted to all this, I just cannot seem to read enough!

While we are on the subject of forums etc, I want to take the opportunity to thank all that take the time out of their busy days to answer all the questions us new folks have. I, for one, very much appreciate all of you.

with kind regards

Donna