BC Boards

We picked our puppy!

We thought we were choosing between two females, but turns out one was a male. After much deliberation and agonizing over every single puppy, we came back to our first choice which is this guy. He's 3 weeks in these pictures. The last two pics are of the father.

post-12658-010663400 1315776789_thumb.jpg

post-12658-019436800 1315776817_thumb.jpg

post-12658-018050000 1315776844_thumb.jpg

post-12658-000885500 1315776870_thumb.jpg

post-12658-089249100 1315776895_thumb.jpg

post-12658-071284800 1315776914_thumb.jpg

Thank you all! :D We are super excited and genuinely appreciate and love reading all of your opinions. We have a preliminary name picked out... Ziggy. I don't know if that'll stick or not, but for now that's who he is. And I fully agree, his father is absolutely gorgeous! Plus he had the perfect personality!

I just sit and stare at the pictures of him a lot. My previous border collie didn't have nearly such interesting markings so this little guy's markings are all the more interesting to me. I'm really glad that his dad is so gorgeous because I'm more and more convinced everyday that he looks just like his daddy... only fuzzy. Which brings me to the conclusion that is father must carry the rough coat gene because as of yet, none of the pups look to have the smooth coat. Ok, I admit it, I'm a genetics nerd. :D I will definitely be posting more pics as I get them! We only have 4 more weeks til he comes home with us!

Which brings me to the conclusion that is father must carry the rough coat gene because as of yet, none of the pups look to have the smooth coat.

They're 4 weeks old? I still think it's too early to tell. My trainer had a litter of puppies a while ago, when they were that young, they were kinda in between smoothish, with a little bit of fluff. Hard to describe, but neither rough nor smooth yet. Now, as 5 month olds, two that I see regularly are very slick and one is more medium coated, but not what I'd call rough. Both parents are smooth. Anyway, that means nothing, other than I don't think you can predict coat length just yet.

ETA: If I were to venture a guess, which would be totally a wild guess, I think your puppy will more likely be smooth. Like the sire, who is what I'd call smooth, but not slick. If not, maybe medium. How's that for still not helpful? :lol:

Karen,

The bitch is rough. The sire is smooth--you can tell if you click on the pictures, though they are quite large.

Linsaloo,

Like I said in the other thread, smooth is dominant, but the sire could carry recessive rough. So the pups could be either rough or smooth. Or something in between.

J.

The father is indeed smooth, although not as smooth as I was thinking he would be. He does have a lot of longer fluff to him. The mother is very rough with an interesting color to her if I might add. She's got a tan undercoat with black on the outside. I keep meaning to call the breeder and ask if she knows whether or not the father's parents were both smooth or not. Would the coat types be listed on his papers? I know with some breeds they are, but not all. All the pups, as of Sunday, were very fuzzy but they still have a lot of growing to do. Alas, we're probably gonna just have to wait and see. I remembered when we went out to look at the pups that someone (sorry can't recall who) had stated in my other post that it might be possible to tell by ear hair. If that's true, this guy very well might be rough. He's got quite a bit of length on his ears. I'm really sorry the pictures are so big. I need to work on downsizing them a little I guess. Four weeks seems so long, but then when I look at all I have to do between now and then (give birth) it doesn't seem long at all.

Archived