BC Boards

Bicycling with borders

For Kenzi I just use a step in harness, attach a leash to it and hold the leash while I'm biking. Works really well for me. Sometimes Kenzi runs alongside, sometimes she pulls a bit. She quickly learned where he place was alongside the bike and is good about staying there.

She is quite interested in the occasional critter that pops up, but has also learned that she must respect the bike and go with it so that hasn't been an issue at all.

As far as age goes, I'd say by a year you should be able to do one mile jaunts. A bit father if the surface is softer (ie, gravel roads) I'd wait until closer to 2 y/o before going further than two miles.

I don't bike a lot with my dogs but I do rollerblade and run with them on a regular basis. Jordyn wears a standard x-back harness when we blade, and she knows to get out front, versus when we walk where she must stay in a decent heel. She was around 10 mos of age when I adopted her but didn't tag along on runs until she was 15-16 mos because I'd rather wait until their growth plates have closed before allowing any forced exercise. The most important factor is to gradually increase their distance and know your dogs endurance because they will/try to overdue it their first couple times out.

While I know of the dangers. I still use just a leash attached to the dogs. I have two border collies I go biking with. We use just a normal harness. I strech them before and afterwards. Also I check pads after the ride. I also encourage the dogs to trot in grass or off the pavement.

I do a lot of city biking so... I started them at night and gradually added more distraction. I have to say I am so proud of them. We even were able to bike through a wheelchair and a kid skipping with out a glance at either. Wasnt my choice though. I was in a tight spot and the wheelchair and kid crossed the road to my side and split up when they saw us coming?!

My dogs just go into a mode when I go biking. We had a siren go off next to us, kids, other bikes, people walking, dogs, and other small critters. The biggest thing my dogs(Err... Cressa) had to overcome is the metal grates and manholes.

I go no faster then a trot though. The farest Ive gone is a total of 10 miles with them. I stop often to offer water and to walk them. Cressa is 17.88inches/~30lbs and Troy is 21inches/~57 lbs.

Is that a typo?

Not that I am aware of...?

He was measure at 21inches for agility and weights about 57-60 lbs on his last vet visit(i havent updated my website for a bit). At 60 lbs he can loose a couple pounds.

LOL Not sure what the typo would be?

I normally go about 1-6 mile with my dogs on bike. Not daily but maybe once a week. 10 miles is not normal for us. But I needed to go to the bank and thought it would be fun to bring them. It was about 5 miles to the bank and 5 miles back. That was the distance my Droid told me not sure if its correct.

And a trot is slow! I have to put my bike on the lowest setting to go their speed. But I dont want them to burn there pads or get heat exhaustion or wear them self out too fast so I go slow. I once in a while might pick up the pace to a gallop but we mostly go a quick trot.

No big deal. That's just pretty hefty, and for some reason, I thought your dogs were both smaller. Must've been thinking of someone else.

I have two border collies. Both on opposite end of the chart.

Cressa is my small girl at 17.88 inches.

Both of Troy parents were small at 18 inches. I just got the frankenstein pup of the breeding. :) Not really most of the litter is typical size border collies. He does have one sister at 17 inches but most are I believe at 19-20 inches. To be honest i have no clue as to how the judges measure him at 21 inches... we were getting 21.5-22inches when measuring him but of course he was younger and his shoulder weren't laid back yet.

I just remember at the vets being like oh my! my baby is over 55 lbs. :) I am pretty sure his head is what puts the xtra 10 lbs on him.

Maybe this will show size different?

30542_115194721848217_100000730690695_135098_6982822_n.jpg

I take my BC biking. I actually made my own bike attachment, but it's currently out of commission since I checked it and found a loose screw. The last couple days I've been using her regular leash which is one of the euro style ones with clips at both ends and rings spaced at various points along it so you can make all different size loops, which means I can have it around my torso instead of holding it on the handlebars. This works ok, but she's small and it still jostles some if she pulls at all. With the bike leash attachment you could hardly even tell she was there. I definitely feel much safer/more comfortable using that. I also use a harness to keep from pulling on her neck, and am careful to keep to a reasonable pace/distance for her since a bike can go so much faster than even a quick BC. Let me know if you find a bike attachment you like! I'm still working on modifying my design.

Archived