BC Boards

Sports for the non-registered BC?

Just out of curiosity - I know you folks will know!

What sports (or as we'd call them in horses, disciplines) can you compete in with a non-registered BC?

I have no particular aspirations to compete in much of anything (horses take care of that!), but as we narrow his training focus I figured it'd be good to know in case I ever did get the itch. My boy is unregistered and from what we'll call working farm dog lines (both parents on site, but likely unreg as well).

To compete in AKC venues such as agility and obedience you need to be registered (can be full reg. pedigree, ILP/alternate listing OR their new mixed breed registration but they must be registered). I registered my girl with their mixed breed program so we can compete and earn the same titles pedigreed dogs can earn. I think it is well worth it if you choose to peruse AKC venues, but as others mentioned you don't need a pedigree in all venues. In addition to non-AKC venues, frisbee (skyhoundz, USDDN etc), flyball and dock jumping don't require pedigrees. There is much more nowadays available to non-pedigreed dogs.

If you want to compete in agility, without going the AKC route, there are lots of organizations who do not care what your dog is... NADAC, USDAA, CPE - you have a one time registration fee for each one, but that is it - no questions about your dogs parents.

Agility is the only sport we participate in so cant help you with the others

I don't do AKC, but if you want to try sheepdogging, you don't need your dog to be registered to trial in USBCHA. In ASCA you apply for a one-time, lifetime tracking number, and in AHBA I believe they assign you a tracking number, now, but that's only so they can keep track of your dog's scores and titles.

But registration? Ain't necessary. Have fun!

~ Gloria

Archived