BC Boards

I can't get a shelter dog

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He will be neutered before he goes anywhere. And the other checks. He has been on heartworjm preventative. Just because a dog is not in an 'official' rescue does not negate the fact that he needs a home. What's the matter with you people??!?!?!?!?!?! Happens I work closely with MoKan and they already know about this dog.

Her kids played with the dog then she got afraid of him cause he killed a squirrel and she was sure he would soon kill a kid...

Uh oh. I guess I better get rid of my dog, then. He killed a bat a couple weeks ago. (Or the bat flew into his face and committed suicide - I couldn't really tell, and Buddy seemed completely surprised.) Anyway, he's obviously vicious.

Mary

He will be neutered before he goes anywhere. And the other checks. He has been on heartworjm preventative. Just because a dog is not in an 'official' rescue does not negate the fact that he needs a home. What's the matter with you people??!?!?!?!?!?! Happens I work closely with MoKan and they already know about this dog.

We will have to wait a bit then. Tommy is in season for about another week.

I don't feel any real need to defend myself but 6 of my dogs have been rescues. Ellie is a rescue. They all stayed with me until they died of old age. Two of them were so damaged they were not adoptable. We just got things set up so that they could live out their lives peacefully with minimal contact with the outside. They did just fine.

Uh oh. I guess I better get rid of my dog, then. He killed a bat a couple weeks ago. (Or the bat flew into his face and committed suicide - I couldn't really tell, and Buddy seemed completely surprised.) Anyway, he's obviously vicious.

Mary

Same thing happened when a mourning dove flew right into Cerb's mouth.

The face of a stone killer: P1000821.JPG

And I know some of the rescues you have had. You worked with dogs most others would not have bothered with. Zeke is easy and I was meaning to call you about him but there is that roundtoit thing.

I have some other questions, if you don't mind:

1. How big is he? I have a #3 wire crate and a #4 airline crate. Bandit used the airline crate and he was really big.

2. Is he a jumper? If he is we will have to jump proof the south side of the fence. No biggy. If you help we can probably get it done in half and hour.

3. On a scale of 1 to 10 how thunderphobic is he? Is he OK in a crate or will he need meds. That's OK. He can't be worse than Bandit or Kep but I need to know so I can deal with it.

4. Does he like to ride in the car? If he does he could go on my rounds with me. Its gets lonely out there and I would like the company - once the weather gets cool enough. Tommy and Ellie both hate the car.

Mary

He has mainly been an outside dog. He stays in a fenced yard well. He is smaller than Bandit but heavy boned and thick coat. He does not seem to mind thunder so far, and it is thundering now. He has not attempted to jump, but might squeeze through a hole. I'd take him in a crate or seat belt for a while. He still needs a bit of work, but is a nice friendly dog. He does not jump up on people and is good with kids. Actually he seems to prefer males, but likes women, I think til I got him he had learned he didnt' have to obey women.

Gotta get offline due to storm, so phone me

I've been fostering for schnauzer rescue for about 11 years. And I currently have 2 permanent fosters....and my rescue wouldn't adopt to me because a) I have intact animals and I actually breed them and B) my property isn't fenced...

They need rules to weed out crazy people but they are really quite open to people that have legitimate reasons for things like: intact animals, no fence, other animals of the same sex, etc, etc.

These people work very hard and I admire them. Keep looking and you'll find something

Cynthia

I don't get how we've been so indoctrinated that we believe that owning an intact dog presumes that you will BREED said dog. the spay/neuter message has worked...just compare the numbers killed in shelters from the 70's versus today.

i'm more concerned about shelter reform.how many are "lost" and never returned to owner?how many lose homes because of lack of training/behavioral issues? how many are losing homes due to the economy?

....Her kids played with the dog then she got afraid of him cause he killed a squirrel and she was sure he would soon kill a kid (sorry, chuckling at the thought).

Wow, I can't believe a farm person could be that ignorant! Sheez, that's the kind of attitude that must drive rescues crazy. Or at the least provide a large reason why rescue exists.

If that logic were true, then my rodent-crunching, butterfly-munching, 30-pound Australian shepherd (who sleeps on our bed) is Jack the Ripper on 4 legs. Oy .... :wacko: Hope Zeke will fit in with the OP's household and give him a happy ever after. :)

~ Gloria

i got a "killer" too... lizards,moles,squirrels and on Mother's Day last year I was kindly presented with a young adult cottontail, very thoughtfully placed at my feet after being brought in the dog door...still warm with nothing but a bit of slobber on its neck....

guess I need to sleep with one eye open....

She wasn't a farm person, but a city person who moved into the country. Her husband was having a very difficult time not laughing at her. Her intentions were good but her knowledge was lacking. I am not sure how many owners he had before her, but he is a good dog, tried to chase a bunny today so I guess in some people's minds he is a killer and woud kill the kids. But then our society is so removed from how animals really live/are it is not surprising.

Or the 5 month old that did nothing wrong but be a puppy and need training--that is why rescues exist.

i got a "killer" too... lizards,moles,squirrels and on Mother's Day last year I was kindly presented with a young adult cottontail, very thoughtfully placed at my feet after being brought in the dog door...still warm with nothing but a bit of slobber on its neck....

guess I need to sleep with one eye open....

Well, I hope you ate the bunny! She went to a lot of trouble for your Mother's Day present... ;)

Archived