BC Boards

Adopting my First BC

I posted a couple of weeks ago when I first started looking to adopt a BC. I just wanted to update those who offered their advice and once again thank everyone on this forum. The discussion boards here are immensely useful and not only have helped me to find the right dog, but also have a lot of great advice on nearly every other question I had (from what collar should I get to how to introduce him to the cat).

Anyway I took everyone's advice and met several fostered BCs. I had a set of criteria of must haves and nice to haves etc. I thought I would end up with a merle or red BC with a short or semi-ruff coat. Ended up meeting a black and white with a longish coat. But turns out he sorta picked me, and despite going to the rescue organization to look at a different dog I ended up deciding this is the one. He is a total sweetheart and a great ball player (he couldn't decide whether he wanted to get attention or chase the ball.) So next week I will be bringing him to his new forever home. Once again thanks to all those who gave me specific advice, and to those who wrote responses to other readers. It helped so much. Seriously a ridiculous amount of knowledge on this site.

His foster name has been Prince, so right now, until I settle on a name we have been calling him "the dog formerly known as Prince."

post-12472-054412300 1312208788_thumb.png

Funny how sometimes we have little say in things. What we think is what we are looking for may not always be what picks us. Seems like that is the way it works for me anyway.

Congratulations and best of luck to you two.

When I went looking for my rescue border collie - my number one criteria - smaller - under 35#. First dog they showed me was the big, gangly, leggy, 55 pounder. I love split faces - he is not. Three years later - I have a great dog. I have to watch him though - friends and family keep on threatening to take him home with them. My Cody boy isn't what I thought I wanted but he is exactly what I needed. Go figure. Good luck with your new addition, I predict that it will be one excellant adventure.

Love his ears! :D

I had one come to me named King Rae. :blink: Um, no, that name was NOT going to stick.

He was meant to be rehomed but turned out to have some serious compulsive behaviors and is a fear biter. So he's lived with me for the past, oh, 11+ years. He'll be 13 in December. And his name is Farleigh (second from the left in the top row of my sig line photo). :P

J.

Congrats! What a flashy looking boy! Thank you for adopting from a rescue.

Name suggestion: If you want to stay with the Prince theme, check out titles of the Prince songs and see if anything strikes a chord. maybe Rain/Raine/Rayne after Purple Rain (even though he is not purple :) )

Jovi

Congratulations on your new rescue boy! My first border collie was also a rescue. I got him, like Julie, with the intentions of rehoming him but fell in love. I've had him for 3 1/2 yrs now and he's been so much fun. Four months ago I purchased a border collie puppy and the two of them have been great! The Aussies on the other hand would be happy if they both left LOL. Enjoy your new boy!

Kim in FL

He's adorable! :)

And your name made me giggle, having grown up with old southern ladies who, too well-brought-up to cuss, would fan themselves and exclaim "I'll be John Brown."

There's an excellent (if scary) fictionalized biography of the John Brown called "Cloudsplitter." I guess that's too many syllables for a dog name, though.

Congratulations and what a majestic dog! Eluane would agree. She is a total flirt and loves handsome, studly dogs :P but like you she has specific criteria. She loves the ones with the white forelegs, the classic B&W. The blaze on the chest and the forehead, all other males and female dogs she ignores, lol! She is glad you didn't choose any red or merle, lol! Only heaven knows how Eluane got to be such a snooty little Princess!!! :wacko: I think Reds and merles are gorgeous too. But Eluane says nooooo, your choice was the only worthy one in her eyes, hahaha! She would have been totally in love! :wub::wub:

Thanks, all, picked him up yesterday. Decided to make his name "The Gangster of Love" but we will just call him Maurice (or occasionally Space Cowboy).

Too funny. Looks like this will be a great match!

Archived