BC Boards

Pineapple

tinkerdexter

If I remember correctly, raw pineapple has a compound in it that acts on proteins (that's why you can't use raw pineapple with gelatin) that may cause stomach upsets in dogs. But I am not sure at all about this - I am sure someone will give better advice.

Cooked (canned) pineapple does not have this active compound. Since pineapple has lots of sugar, I would not suggest any significant amounts of it be fed.

My dear, departed house bunny would kill for pineapple, raw or cooked...

My 4 month old Dexter has been eating poo and I have read online that a small amount can make the poo less appealing. We have also been picking up the poo as much as possible and are feeding him avoderm puppy formula. We are not home all the time and they are in a good sized dog run so we can't get all the poo all the time. We also tell him to leave it if he sniffs at it while picking it up. Any other advice would be much appreciated.

I know that there is a commercial product available which is added to your dog's food, and it is supposed to make the poo less 'tasty' to the dogs that tend to eat poo. I have never used it and do not know how well it works. I have just seen it in the pet store.

Jovi

Ah, eating poop. I tried that with one youngster and found the remedy caused digestive issues, so I simply learned to PIUP (pick it up promptly).

Best wishes!

Pineapple can be fed. I chop up some fresh or canned up and use it as a [small] treat since Sul would possibly rip my arm off to get at the whole can.

My Sul went from the puppy that'd make nom-noms out of his turds to HATING poop, the smell of poop, being around his own poop and such. I started feeding him a little pineapple when that revelation came around. Is it responsible for that? Maybe. He's always been a super fussy & clean dog, though, so it could just have been that coming out in his post-poop-eating-phase. I say, use it as a treat and possible poop-eating deterrent if a dog seems capable of handling it. I notice he does eat some more grass when I feed pineapple but his stool is normal (and usually hidden, since he's a bashful pooper).

Pineapple is a treat. Use sparingly. It might affect digestion be cautious. Don't freak out if it doesn't fix the poop thing. Sometimes it's just a phase. But just to make sure understand that eating poop has a TON of causes. It can be a behavioral issue due to another dominate or sick dog present. Or it could be an attempt to get to it before you do if you're a regular scooper ("Wait, I could eat that before you take it away!!! YUMMY! I'ze gets it firstssss!" No, your dog doesn't think like this but he does associate action and reaction and his gut instinct in this manner... My dog only eats till he's full unless another dog shows up, then he'll gorge to get the most - just in case... funny how that works). Keep the dog properly wormed and have him/her vet checked for any ailments that can cause poop-eating. Don't punish your dog for eating poop (just remove the dog from the situation) as adding additional attention to the situation might be what the dog is craving. Add some pineapple and see if that works.

Brady was a horrid poo eater--I just tried to pick it up as fast as possible.

They usually grow out of the habit with time. It has something to do with the fact that their bodies aren't able to properly absorb all the nutrients just yet, so they eat the poop to get back all the nutrients (or so I've been told). However, if you let it progress and become a habit it can be dangerous (e.coli, anyone?).

But if he's only four months old, I bet you anything he'll grow out of it sooner or later since that's still pretty young. Just give it some time. :D

I have a 14 week old puppy that started eating poop when I changed my other dogs to the food he was eating. Previous to the change in food he had shown no interest in poop. So I put them back on the food they were previously on and am hoping that will help stop the poop eating. They are also getting pineapple in their food. I am hoping something works. Nothing worse than a dog with a crappy mouth that wants to give you a big ol smooch.

The commercial product is called For-Bid. It worked on my old mutt when pineapple didn't. Remember that you have to feed pineapple to all your dogs if your pup is eating their poop, too. The For-Bid, when fed to the cat, even got old Lab to stop eating cat turds.

Archived