BC Boards

Missy, my good girl

Maralynn

I said goodbye to a part of myself tonight. Missy had been steadily fading the past week or so. She was still getting around on her own, but it was getting hard for her. Today she slipped hard on the floor was too sore to let me help her up even though she's been on regular pain meds. I knew it was time. I made the appointment, then dosed her up good on pain meds. An hour later she was able to get up and we made the final slow round to the barn to see the sheep and find a cat, then I just sat in the yard with her head in my lap and told her how good she was. It was good.

She was so relaxed that I started to second guess my decision, but I knew the only way for her to be relaxed was through heavy meds and that her strength was sapped by a simple walk to the barn. I made a bed for her in the back of my car and my grandparents drove us to the vet. I held her and petted her on the way there then the vet came out to my car and I stroked her head as she faded away.

I knew Missy was my dog from the moment I laid eyes on her. She knew I was her person a couple days later. We did almost everything together from that point on. She taught me what a Border Collie really was. Heart, work ethic and drive. I grew up reading Lassie and Lad books and now I had the dog I'd always read about. She was super smart and we could read each other's minds. Every dog I have from here on out will probably have the misfortune of being measured against her. Right up to the end she never quit trying, her body just wore out on her.

She lived to please and would try just about anything I asked her to. She was my sidekick and traveled over A hundred thousand miles with me in the car. When I started full time as a nanny she started going to work with me. She was fascinated by babies and as those babies grew into toddlers she taught them how to play ball. Those kids are now 5 and 6 and still ask about Missy.

Besides being my dog, she was my family's dog. She was the dog my youngest brother and sister grew up with. She knew how to raise my brother, too. As patience as she was with toddlers, she wouldn't put up with my little brother being annoying to her - she had a line and he better not cross it - but otherwise they were friends! My dad really loved her and last year when we had a professional come out to photograph the growing family he want Missy in the picture too.

Today out at the barn she was still eyeing a cat. Last night when I let her out she looked at me like "well, as long as I'm up aren't we going to drive over to the other barn?" so we did. And I told her to "go bring" once more and helped her push the sheep out. They knew the routine so it was easy for her. But then she just stopped on the way back to the car like she didn't think she could make it into the car again. But I had a step there for her and she did.

She was my good girl. I think in life all she really wanted was a place to belong and a person to please,. she loved to hear that she was a good dog. The sheep were a really nice bonus, but her people were still what she lived for.

Run Free my very good Missy girl. You were one of the best things that ever happened to me. I was truly blessed when God sent you to me.

107_0108.jpg

Mara, that was a beautiful tribute to your best girl. I know you knew this was coming, but still. Please accept my sincere sympathy for the hurt you must be feeling. I really admire how you handled her last weeks and how you gave her the most dignified, best possible ending to her good life.

I am sorry that Missy's time to pass on has come. You both were a very great blessing to each other, and fortunate to have had each other. She will always live in your heart.

I'm so sorry. I know how tough it is. The pup is such a part of your life and who you become for having her. I keep thinking about "when Fergie comes back home...." But she is in her new home, waiting for us to come to the Rainbow Bridge. The ache won't ever go away. We still feel it for Vamp, who joined our family in 1967 and lived 15 years. But it does get less acute, eventually. At least, we hope so.

You gave Missy as wonderful a life as she gave you. If that's any consolation.

Missy, you beautiful dog, you wonderful soul, rest in peace and know you'll never be forgotten. What a touching tribute to your special girl, Mara. Hugs to you and know I will miss her even though I never met her... So sorry...

Archived