BC Boards

Prayers and more needed for Diane's Tess

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a nearly identical accident with my Westie years ago. I ran over her in the driveway when I came home early from work one afternoon. She went into shock, her diaphram was rutptured, she lost 1/3 of her liver, a collapsed lung and her intestines were squished up above her lungs. My vet stabilized her for the first 24 hours then did the surgery to repair the damage. He told me that rushing into surgery is a mistake that is often made that can be fatal. She pulled through it all and we had another 6 yrs together. She was eventually hit by a car at the ripe old age of 14. (She was really sweet but not too smart-she never did learn about cars) I'm praying for you, and hope that your baby pulls through, it appears that the worst part is past. Sending good mojo your way.

We just got back from visiting her...she is stable, vitals are good.

Surgery was successful, liver was in her thorax area, etc, the diaphram was totally ripped.....they also looked for other injuries but didn't find anything else. She is all put back together. Has a chest tube and tons of other IV etc....heavily sedated

She managed to wake up and we loved on her then the pain pills got working and she feel asleep. But she knew we were there for her.

Now, the next 24 hrs are critical but I am thinking she will be ok, vital ok, surgery ok, no complictions and she is one tough cookie. However her lungs wer deflated and there might be an issue there so they will monitor that. I guess that would be mor drugs to combat that but not sure. If the lungs get deflated then re-inflated, parts of it may die (I am not sure exactly so if you know, please enlighten me) BUT I think it can be fixed via drugs.

Tomorrow we wil go in and see her at 8ish in the night. They think she will be more coherent then. She looked awful with red metting, shaved bare, cone head and listless. Getty was tearing up badly and I was trying to be stoic but I couldn't.

I am allowed to bring her a treat tomorrow so I am going to bring her a piece of cooked chicken (Small) to get her appetite going. we brought her fav toy "Piggy" and it is next to her head. It has our scent on it so when she wakes up, she will smell it.

If all goes well, she will come home on Sunday or Monday. They will take the chest tube out before she come shome.

Please keep her in your prayers that the next 24 hrs are worry free and she is perky tomorrow...I hope she contiunes on the good pattern she is on now.

Thanks for all of your prayers and words, it means a lot to us.

Ben- as for treat...she loves treats but if you toss her a treat when she is working sheep, she will give you the "YOU are a MORON LOOK"...she did it quite well with an ACK clicker trainer.

However off stock and since her retirement, I have been trainiing her to do tricks for treats. She really enjoys that.

Ignore my typos and bad grammer as I have had only 3 hrs of sleep in the last 24 hours.

Thank you for your update about Tess after her extensive surgery, Diane! It sounds like she has a lot going for her and is in the most capable hands. Best wishes for her continued improvement and an uneventful recovery.

Kindest regards,

nancy

People here feel sorry for any dog (and owner) that has had something bad happen - but Tess is particularly special for her history, her accomplishments, and her representing all that's good, brave, and useful in a Border Collie. I remember Diane's telling of Tess's bravery when flooding isolated and threatened the sheep some few years back. What a dog!

Thanks so much for the updates Diane - hopefully you've been able to get some sleep.

It really is amazing how dogs can bounce back after trauma - lots of continued vibes/mojo for her healing process.

I'm so happy to hear that Tess made it through the surgery and is doing well even though she's still critical. I'm sending prayers, good vibes and mojo for all of you. Those tough old border collie girls hang in there - if anyone can recover from this, it will be Tess. I especially remember the cartoon you did of who got to have the couch after a hard day of work - I shared it with so many other dog friends.

My thoughts and prayers are also with Getty - how horrible to go through this. Freak accidents happen but knowing that doesn't make the experience any easier.

Hugs to all of you.

Tess has heard your prayers and continues to improve. Much thanks to EVERYONE for their thoughts, prayers and love for my beloved Tess.

As you know, Tess is my soulmate. What you might not know is that Getty loves her as much as he loves me. She is his daughter (albeit with four legs) and he bought her the sheep farm for her when she was two years old. He was a die hard city boy and gave up his city ways to be a farmguy for his Tess. Each day he would feed the sheep and help take care of the farm so his Tess could have the best in life.

We just got back fro visting her. She has made it past the 24 hr since the surgery but is not out of the woods yet. They took her off the IV pain and antibiotics meds and she is on oral meds. They just gave her Tramadol before we got there so she was VERY DOPEY but woke up enough to nudge us for pets. You could tell she wants to sleep but refused to and we kept petting and talking to her. She would drift on with her head in our hands but she would wake up and want us to pet her more. So we talked to me and cried and petted her. We took some cooked chicken to her to tempt her to eat but she was not hungry so we left it so they would try to feed it to her. She has not eaten yet so we hope by tomorrow.

The fact that she was responsive is good and she is improving. She has gone pee with help walking by the vet tech and that is key. No poop yet but she gets restless and they take her to pee so at least she is improving in that area.

Vital stats all look good. She looks better than yesterday and we pray tomorrow she will more alert and ready for some treats.

She was the oldest dog in the hospital and most of the dogs were over 10. You could see that the dogs there were loved by there owners. Tess has her pink piggy by her side. Other had their toys too.

Will let you know an update tomorrow after we visit her.

Diane,

Thank you for the update on your beloved Tess, and it sounds like she is doing incredibly well! My heart goes out to you and Getty, and my best wishes for an uneventful recovery for Tess.

Take care,

nancy

Archived