BC Boards

Modogomy....

After getting Cerb and raising him from an eight week old pup, I have become a confirmed dog person. Check that; a Border Collie person. While he’s not a paper waving, sheep moving, calculus computing, full blood BC, my experience with this smart, active dog has convinced me that I love this breed. This, along with Cerb’s absolute love of doggy company, has led me to want another BC.

Now the tricky question: How does everyone reconcile bringing another dog into “the relationship”? This may be weird, but it almost seems like getting another dog would be “cheating”. Also, getting a dog from good working stock would almost be like “trading up”.

I know…I’m over thinking this to the extreme but this seems to be the gist of what I’m feeling.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does change the relationship, sure, but in some ways it improves it, too. I find that adding a new dog often makes me really appreciate my other dog(s) more and become more active in finding quality time with them over quantity of time. :)

My last dog, Aeri, was the first one I had ever purchased from a responsible breeder, and while some might call it "trading up" I really just viewed it as another way to find a good puppy and relished the additional info I could get from her breeder as opposed to my other dogs' unknown backgrounds. All my dogs are the same to me in terms of value, so once I resolved the breeder vs. rescue debate in my head, I really haven't given it another thought. ;)

I think that 2 dogs are perfect. They keep each other company and love to play together. Think of it as having a second child. You'll love them just as much, and they will bond with each other as well. Also, Cerb will help in teaching a new dog the rules and how to behave. ;)

As someone who does not have kids, I really wrestled with the idea of adding a second dog. I didn't know if I could love them the same or equally or if Daisy would hate me for it.

But, I went ahead and did it. And to tell you the truth, I questioned my decision for a a bit after I brought Devon home. It wasn't a decision I made lightly.

I think that for the most part, Daisy and Devon really enjoy each other. And I think that their "friendship" has improved over time.

Also, don't think about getting a working dog as "trading up." Devon is more keen than Daisy is. (And I kinda knew that when I got him.) Daisy and Devon are two different dogs that fill two different spots in my heart and I love their different personalities, quirks, and talents. It's hard to explain (at least for me) but Cerb and your potential new dog will both be your best friends with different gifts to share with you.

As someone who does not have kids, I really wrestled with the idea of adding a second dog. I didn't know if I could love them the same or equally or if Daisy would hate me for it.

AhHa! I think you may have struck psychological pay dirt. I am the father of an "only". This may indeed color how I think of bringing in a second dog.

I find that having a second dog improves the relationship with Senneca. She enjoys having a companion and even puts up with the stream of fosters that come into our house.

Having fosters in our home was one of the convincing factors. I remember Cerb and Hestia absolutely tearing up the back yard playing together. I also have a picture of Cerb and Max sleeping in a big dog pile. Cerb just blossoms in the company of other dogs.

Having another dog may also calm down his propensity to go ape s#!+ whenever he's with other dogs and, as fosters, none of his "sibs" were ever allowed to play with him off lead at the park.

I'm convinced....now the lobbying (with DW) begins...

The only dog that I specifically meant to add was my second dog. It wasn't so tough for me because my dog had already dropped me like a hot potato in favor of my then boyfriend (it's still that way), LOL! My third dog, Skittles, had become great buddies with my second dog, so it wasn't tough to decide to keep him. BUT, after 3, I said that I just couldn't add another because I was sure that my border collie, Charlie, would be heartbroken and I would feel so bad. Then, along came Ollie. I know that there is some jealousy on Charlie's part with respect to Ollie, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I think that has a lot to do with Ollie's personality, though. Ollie doesn't try to compete for my attention from Charlie and doesn't get miffed when Charlie barges in and pushes Ollie out of the way to get to me. As far as trading up? I don't see it. They are all special and if you love them, who cares what their pedigree says. My Ollie is most certainly a mutt, but he's all that and more!! I don't need papers to tell me that he's special. ;)

I don't have an answer for you because I'm going through the same thing at the moment. I've been slowly looking, but held back each time because Sully is my heart dog. We are best friends, he goes with me everywhere, sleeps in my bed, etc. It's always been just me and him. Sully loves other dogs and I feel like because I work full time, having a companion would make his life more enjoyable. But I am worried about what this will do to our relationship. Like you I feel like I'm also feeling like I am trading up (to a pure border collie with *hopefully* no sound sensitivity or anxiety issues). I feel guilty about wanting an 'improved' version, though nothing will replace Sully.

Thanks for starting this post, some of the answers have definitely helped me! Hope you and I both find the right answer for our situations!

I felt the same way before I added my second, and it truly does change your relationship with the first, though not necessarily in a bad way. I think my first dog would have been perfectly happy being an only dog for life, and is not necessarily thrilled to share with two other, but he has adjusted and is fine. I really liked having just one, and wasn't looking to add, but they came along and seemed meant to be part of my family. I have heard people talk about a "heart dog" but all three of mine are equally special to me. They are all so different and add to my life in different ways. I can't imagine being without any of them.

The best thing we did was add a second dog, Jester my GSDx was our first dog as adults ( we both were confirmed dog people before getting her) and we always wanted a second, we just waited until we bought our home. Jester remained my special girl all her life, Bandit the Border Collie, just slotted in and choose Dave as his person, not that he had a choice. Jester became a much better "dog" once we had Bandit, much less neady and clingy . Neither dog was big into playing, but where shoulder to shoulder on hikes and trips to the park, and it was always them against the world.

Since then we have always had 2 dogs, always saying we will wait awhile for the next, but never lasting longer than a couple of months before we start looking.

After getting Cerb and raising him from an eight week old pup, I have become a confirmed dog person. Check that; a Border Collie person. While he’s not a paper waving, sheep moving, calculus computing, full blood BC, my experience with this smart, active dog has convinced me that I love this breed. This, along with Cerb’s absolute love of doggy company, has led me to want another BC.

Now the tricky question: How does everyone reconcile bringing another dog into “the relationship”? This may be weird, but it almost seems like getting another dog would be “cheating”. Also, getting a dog from good working stock would almost be like “trading up”.

I know…I’m over thinking this to the extreme but this seems to be the gist of what I’m feeling.

We added a second BC after about a year with Ladybug. (And yes, we had just one child -- grown and gone.) We obtained Scotty through a private rescue. He fit in very well -- at four years old, he was two years younger than Ladybug and the opposite sex, not a control freak. Twice her size. In other words, the exact opposite of her. :) She enjoyed his company. I'm no expert, but I think Border Collies enjoy each other's company. They became great pals and she missed him very much when we lost him unexpectedly. When we brought the pups home, she was delighted.

So get rid of your attack of the "guilts" and start looking for a good fit for your household. There's room in your heart for another pup -- and always room in the recliner for one more, too! Just ask DH. Some nights, he's got three on his lap!

The real danger is, when are you going to get those sheep? :)

Liz

I totally get the angst. It was really hard for me to take the plunge with the second dog (Jack), for all the same reasons you're worrying about. All my worry was for naught, though. It ended up being one of the best decisions, ever. I found that it was easy to love them both equally. It didn't change our relationship with Lilly, not in any significant way, at least. And what really sealed the deal was when the two dogs became best buds. To this day, the boys worship the ground Lilly walks on, and she lets them. :wub:

Like Mary, my 3rd and 4th dogs were not really planned. Both started as fosters, though with Alex, I always had the idea in the back of my head. Will and my husband plotted against me, and he just didn't leave! Anyway, as Robin mentioned, after the second dog, adding 3 and 4 was easy peasy. Every time our hearts got bigger and we found there is room for everyone. They're all different and we have different relationships with them, but they are all loved and special in their own ways.

I had to smile at this:

While he’s not a paper waving, sheep moving, calculus computing, full blood BC, my experience with this smart, active dog has convinced me that I love this breed.

That's exactly how I came to love the breed as well. My second dog, Jack.

I'm convinced....now the lobbying (with DW) begins...

Good luck! I don't think I've ever heard anyone who has had 2 Border Collies say they wish they could go back to one. I know I never want to be a one dog family again.

Not all second dogs are great friends with the first, sometimes they just co-exist in the same space. That being said, if they are "friends" it opens up a world of true humor and entertainment to have the two dogs. We have four - always thought we would only have two. #3 got added because she was going to be put down. She is a weimaraner mix - this dog is my shadow and I love her dearly. #4 got dumped in the community we live in and followed my husband home. She is a BC mix. She is funny, snuggly, smart, adorable, won't trade her for the world. We are the nuts who have four big dogs. If I had to give one up, that would be impossible. Only occasionally I get annoyed when I have four heads on my lap competing for attention, then I just say " that's enough" . My dogs are all from rescues or shelter ( except the last that followed DH home). I firmly believe that the dogs help each other learn the ropes. I think each of them are better adjusted due to the fact that they have the other dogs to interact with. My #3 is a fear based dog ( mostly fearful of other dogs) she can now meet other dogs ( if all the dogs are off leash) and she is great.

The main problem we had with adding a second dog was then we had no trouble adding a third and a fourth and so on. Border Collies are kind of like potato chips that way.... ;)

Or well, it's only 4, or now...just 9 border collies; but now it isn't even, my husband has one more to work than me :)

Cynthia

Awww, no way. :( A well bred dog will be a better stock dog, sure, but not a better dog in any other way.

Very, very true. Every dog has qualities that make it worthy. Ladybug considers sheep a curious mystery and pretty much ignores them but I'd take her over 100 other working dogs any day of the week because of her courage, her loyalty, her intelligence, her perseverance, her biddiblity and her just plain "Ladybugness". She is the sweetest girl we've ever had the privilege to know.

The real danger is, when are you going to get those sheep? :)

LOL.

First I had one Border Collie. Now I have two. Then I traded in my sporty car for a wagon to haul them around in. And I am planning on buying a farm to have sheep for them.... :blink:

Spoiled dogs.... :P

Or well, it's only 4, or now...just 9 border collies; but now it isn't even, my husband has one more to work than me :)

Cynthia

Exactly! Folks think I can't count when I say I have 2 dogs but they see 7 mugs in the window. They don't get how three of them are grenzehund's and the other two are biscuit eaters, so they can hardly count.....Actually, I love hearing people explain which dogs don't count. The little dogs never seem to count. And the old dogs don't either.

Exactly! Folks think I can't count when I say I have 2 dogs but they see 7 mugs in the window. They don't get how three of them are grenzehund's and the other two are biscuit eaters, so they can hardly count.....Actually, I love hearing people explain which dogs don't count. The little dogs never seem to count. And the old dogs don't either.

Totally this. I realistically only have four dogs. Ginger and Zippy don't count because they're not border collies, and they're small and old. June wouldn't normally count because she's both old and retired, but she's too much of a troublemaker to add to the non-count pile. But still, even adding Zip and Ginger to the non-count pile cuts me down to a very reasonable four dogs.

To the OP - Ginger was my first dog. She's never been all that thrilled with me for getting another dog. But I can say that the border collies always seem to think the more the merrier. I don't regret it - and cannot even fathom a life with only one dog now.

And city folk think i'm bananas when i say something like...I was walking 4 of the dogs and it felt like I barely had any; Or I only brought 6 with me...

So I don't count the white dogs: -5

The retired border collies becaues they are easy -2

The old dogs -2

The two foster dogs -2

And the puppy -1

So I really only have 8; well only 4 because 4 are Johns :lol:

So run with it, they are like potato chips, and mainly your other dog (s) will like having additional playmates. That being said Sergeant our 13 y.o. Giant schnauzer just groans anytime we get a new puppy...We've only had a couple that have caused havoc in the pack order and i've either managed it, trained them out of it, or rehomed one. Sergeant still gets special treatment and can tell off border collie puppies anytime he wants...and they love him for it

Cynthia

Archived