BC Boards

Prayers for Lacee

I'm so sorry Diane :( My heart is aching for you.

Whatever you do, don't second guess yourself or feel that you've let Lacee down. This cancer is one of those things that you truly can't prevent and there is practically nothing you can do to treat.

Quality time with you is the best gift a dog could ask for - they don't understand what is going on, but they do know that life with their person is good. When I realized that there was nothing I could do for Missy except make her life the best that I could for as she was enjoying it, it was a relief in a way. I didn't have to worry about the could haves/should haves, I just had to focus on what would make my dog happy.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and and Lacee.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry to hear about Lacee, and know your heart is breaking open. You've given her your love and devotion, and I know also that she's returned it a thousandfold.

I know it's hard, but please don't feel guilty about having to factor in financial considerations. No one here is judging you.

Lacee knows how much you love her, dogs are really great that way. You're not letting her down at all.

Ruth

I understand what you are going through. A similar thing happened to dog Sybil when she was 13. We just had to keep telling ourselves that it was better to let her go instead of making her suffer through a surgery that was not even guaranteed to work. My heart is with you.

Lots of hugs and vibes for peace for your family - we were in almost the same place with our Maggie a year ago, but the cancer had spread and thus made the decision for us. It's a really crappy place to be.

If it helps, in the future I know I would not do a risky surgery/procedure with a significant recovery period unless it had a very high likelihood of succeeding in extending their life significantly - you are not "giving up", you are truly considering what would be best for your girl. ((((more hugs))))

There is nothing that can be said to make it easier. Just know that people care.

I went through this last year with my girl. I didn't even check for surgery because she was a few weeks short of 15 when she first started passing black stools. My vet was positive it was gastrointestinal cancer of some sort, and there was no reason at that age to put her through surgery. I had done that with a 13 year old dog and I don't think it helped at all because she only lasted three months after the surgery.

Just give her all the quality time you can for as long as she has. Don't try to second guess yourself because you've done the best you could.

Cindy

I'm so sorry to read this. My heart aches for you and your family. Praying she has a peaceful journey to The Bridge and that you will eventually find peace too in letting her go.

Pam

I am totally overwhelmed by all the support I'm being given. It has truly helped me feel better about my decision. Unfortunately, after picking her up, we realize that tonight will be our last. She's in a lot of discomfort, can hardly walk and just doesn't seem to care. She got to eat chicken and hamburger for dinner and cheese for dessert. Of course, she hardly ate it, but made a valiant effort.

I have been through this twice, Katie being my second five years ago. She was diagnosed with Lymphoma in Nov. and by the end of Dec. she was ready to go. At least with her I had a month to prepare.

Lacee has truly been the best dog we've ever had. She'll always hold a special place in my heart. She's my girl.

Thanks again for all the kind words.

The hole she leaves in your heart is what helps your heart to be stronger and make room for another. I am crying for your pain, but eventually that will pass and you'll have your memories--where she will live forever--to sustain you. Remember that heaven is where your beloved animals friends are waiting for you, so know that there will also be a joyful reunion to look forward to.

J.

I'm so sorry Diane :( My heart is aching for you.

Whatever you do, don't second guess yourself or feel that you've let Lacee down. This cancer is one of those things that you truly can't prevent and there is practically nothing you can do to treat.

Quality time with you is the best gift a dog could ask for - they don't understand what is going on, but they do know that life with their person is good. When I realized that there was nothing I could do for Missy except make her life the best that I could for as she was enjoying it, it was a relief in a way. I didn't have to worry about the could haves/should haves, I just had to focus on what would make my dog happy.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and and Lacee.

Well said. I am so sorry. I went thru this as well this year. Gentle hugs.

I can hardly hold back the tears as I write this. I'm so sorry. Lacee is a beautiful companion. Give her lots of love, even from us over here. So sorry.

Archived