BC Boards

Prayers for Lacee

I had to take Lacee to the ER Vet last night. After taking her to her regular vet, they found out she is severely anemic and there is a mass near her spleen. So obviously she's bleeding somewhere internally. He told me to take her immediately to the ER. I had to leave her overnight in case they need to do a blood transfusion. I am now waiting for them to do an ultasound to see what exactly that mass is. Not liking the sound of this at all.

I pray she survives through this. I'm not ready to let her go yet. :(

Please keep her in your prayers.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just heard from the vet. Lacee has a tumor in her intestinal track. She's very sick and the tumor needs to be removed today. If it isn't, she will die. With that said, the surgery will be very complex and the outcome isn't guaranteed. They're doing a chest xray now to see if it has spread and will call me back. I need to let them know what to do. If they don't take payments, I won't be able to afford it. Est. for surgery is $5,000. But I just can't let her die...it would be like giving up on her. :(

Oh, shoot.

That is just the worst situation to find yourself in.

My Ellie will be 13. So far so good but that could change at any time.

I would not be able to afford that kind of treatment, either. I don't think most people could.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Lacee.

Oh no. If you can, check into Care Credit, they sometimes give you a "no interest rate" period and that can help spread out the cost. Also, consult with a second opinion, just tget get a different POV. Be honest with the vet about what you can pay.

Ross had the same thing except his wasn't considered a surgical case. They didn't feel they could get it all out and keep his gut running.

I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. Best wishes to you both.

$5000 sounds like a specialty hospital price. Does your regular vet feel qualified to do the surgery? She or he may not since the GI can be a very tricky place to remove a tumor. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you find the right solution.

If her prognosis is very poor even with aggressive treatment, don't feel like you are giving up if you let her go. I've had to do that twice in recent years, say goodbye without fighting because the odds were stacked so high. I don't feel like I gave up. Instead, I feel like I let my dogs leave with peace and dignity.

I have complete sympathy.

Last two dogs I had, the vet found cancer during exploratory surgery, and the family agreed they should be sewn up and sent home. Unfortunately, in both cases, the deaths were swift and fairly painful despite our having tried the surgical route. One of my main hopes for myself is that I'll be strong enough to make the call to say "no" to this kind of surgery if I have to face it with my current dog someday.

It's such a difficult choice. You'll be in my thoughts.

Mary

Just received the call from the vet after she consulted with the surgeon. Since the surgery is so intensive, the cost is est. now to be $11,000. My husband has said there is no way we can do this. While my common sense agrees, my heart doesn't. And there really is no other vet around that can do this kind of surgery. I'm going to bring her home to spend some quality time with us and then let her go when she's ready. :(

I'm so sorry. Give her all the loving she can take and when she tells you it's time, let her go knowing you kept your part of the covenant we make with our animal companions, which is to let them go with dignity and with no thought to our own desires but rather to their need. I'm keeping you all in my prayers.

J.

I am so so sorry. You love Lacee and she loves you. Hug her, comfort her and keep the quality of life the best you can. I couldn't afford the surgery- it would also break my heart. By the surgery also sounds like it is very risky and may not extend her life in a good way. With a lump in my throat, wish I could say something that would make a difference. Good luck.

Archived