BC Boards

Should I get a boy or a girl?

I've always had boy everything -- Boy dogs, boy horses, boy cats, even a boy bird. It's just like I'm genetically programmed to prefer the male of any species.

Honest to goodness, it got to the point where I was AFRAID to get a girl. I was so comfortable with my boys -- They are predictable, they are loving & devoted, they are easy going and they think I'm awesome. I've been around enough female dogs to know that they, well, aren't the same. I always said that I have enough hormones to deal with of my own, I don't need to deal with a bitch on top of that.

I have several friends who are HARDCORE female dog owners. It seems like people who like girls tend to LOVE them -- for all the reasons I was against getting one.

When Secret came along, I almost picked her brother out of the litter at the rescue. Ultimately, though, Secret picked me and she seemed to get along the best with Kaiser (who was intact at that point, if it matters at all) -- The male in the litter let Kaiser walk all over him and I didn't think that was a good idea. I didn't sleep much the night before I picked Secret up -- I was terrified that I was making a huge mistake bringing a girl into my life.

Well..... It's been just over a year and a half. It's been a learning experience. I love her, I really do -- But I've experienced a lot of frustrations related to what I believe has a lot to do with her being female -- Hard to please, independent, aloof, can live without me, etc. I do believe she's made me a MUCH better trainer, though. I've had to really dig deep and work to create a relationship with her. We're not to the point yet that several of my friends have said -- That once you win over a bitch they will give their everything to you -- but we're working on it. She's affectionate on her terms, but she can be a total smush when she wants to. And she makes me laugh daily. She's just weird -- in a way that my boys just aren't.

Secret is my first girl AND my first BC, so who knows how much of what I've experienced is related to either of those. I'm inclined to believe I will get a male BC next....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks so much! It seems almost unanimous that gender shouldn't matter and I should let the dog pick me. You don't know how happy this makes me! I don't have to be a dog sexist, LOL! Although I find it funny that the stereotypes I thought about female dogs are actually the exact opposite of the usual.

> Personally, I feel that each dog is unique and every case is different

This is the most accurate and realistic thought in the entire post! <grin>

I've had enough BCs of both sexes to agree that this is the case. All have been affectionate and wonderful to live with.

My most aggressive (and disobedient) dog was a female who liked to pick fights w/ the neighbors' dogs.

And I've had a couple of females who marked every bit as much as any male I've had and more than some of them.

The cuddliest two were a male and a female. My two best working dogs were a male and a female.

Some have been more aloof w/ strangers than others, but there was no discernible difference between males and females.

I had my heart set on a female when I was picking my first BC pup from its litter. As hard as I tried to resist him a male chose me and I never regretted his changing my mind. He's still the dog I miss most, though they've all been special.

You're the one who'll be living w/ the dog. The best advice I can offer is to go w/ your gut in choosing the one you click with, and not worry about whether it's male or female.

Roxanne

I've always had females. Don't really know why, I guess it's just the way it happened. When I got Danny, I was looking for a female. The minute I saw his sweet face, I knew for once, I was gonna have a male. :P It's worked out perfectly. Lacee is the sweetest, friendliest, most loving dog you'd ever meet. But Danny has this gentleness about him that just melts your heart.

Another vote to pick the dog who speaks to YOU. It is going to be YOUR dog.

I had my heart set on a female when I went that day to the BC event and came home with my Jester, who is a male. He has been the best dog of my life and continues to amaze me 8 years later. His good-naturedness is rock solid and 24 Karat. You couldn't find a nicer dog, male or female. Gender does not matter - there are dogs of both genders who are hyper, calm, busy, relaxed, sweet, independent, athletic, couch potatoes, and so on. Bring home the dog you fall in love with.

Everyone else has said it but I'll reiterate it - let the dog you get be the one that picks you, speaks to you, you feel is right. And ALWAYS listen to any nagging inner gut feelings.

See, I recently fostered a dog for a small family run mini-rescue thing. I had a really bad feeling but the dog got on well, seemed sweet as pie and nice as all get out... and it ended up in my dog and my neighbor's german shepherd (both submissive dogs) being viciously attacked. Turns out the dog had a history the owner had failed to disclose involving two bitten women and a lengthy history of killing other dogs. I was all too happy to hand her back over to the rescue, who (thankfully) covered the vet bills.

All that horribleness is not do deter you about adopting but it's to really let you know that inner-gut-instinct can be a good indicator of things to come. That's how I found my dog; fell in love on the spot and he has been the funnest, greatest, perfect dog for me. A total terror at times - He's covered my house in hair; got the craps and created a moat around my bed one morning; sabotaged a few dates by peeing on their leg (after said dates intentionally scared him he repaid them in kind); found table surfing rewarding harassment when I take him to my mother's house; and is generally getting into things he shouldn't... But he's the most loving, caring, cuddly, friendly, amusing, ridiculous and energetic dog I've ever owned.

Outside of normal border-collie-created-chaos that you'll have to prepare for, it's really a rewarding madness in the end when you find The Right One(s). So, don't look at the gender and don't let other's dictate what you want. Get what your heart desires and what feels like it's meant to be. After that, then the adventure really begins.

Are you inquiring from a pet owner's perspective, from a sport's perspective, or a working perspective?

Interestingly, I've found more females competing at higher levels in agility. Don't know if this is coincidental. It would be interesting to know if this is also true for those competing in herding? I currently have a male, but I would prefer my next dog to be female, but only because I prefer owning opposite sexes. BTW, I don't think my dog's 'maleness' affects his ability to perform.

Just some food for thought....

Interestingly, I've found more females competing at higher levels in agility. Don't know if this is coincidental. It would be interesting to know if this is also true for those competing in herding?

I used to trial a lot but have slacked off the past two years since being unemployed and then self-employed--just don't have the funds for it. But in all the years I trialed, I did not get the impression that one gender or another fared better at the highest levels of trialing.

Just for kicks, I pulled out my Blue Riband of the Heather, which lists International Supreme winners from 1906-1995 and did an informal (because it's not always clear from the name whether the dog as male or female) count: 60 males and 15 females. Of course this could be the result of handler preference for male dogs, who knows?

Maybe I'll try the same thing with National Sheepdog Champions and see if I get a similar result.

Oh, just thought to look at the list of past USBCHA national champions. Over the past 32 years, dogs have won 20 times and bitches have won 12 times (of course some of those are the same dog or bitch winning multiple times). For example, since 1996 Alasdair MacRae has won the National Finals 10 times, 5 of those wins were with either Nan (3) or Star (2), and 5 were with Bill (1), Ben(3), or Nap (1). So it looks like at least for someone of Alasdair's caliber, you can have a male or female and do equally well. Interesting trivia....

Other folks might have other stockdog trialing trivia to share.

J.

We have a boy and a girl.....Baby girl cora is sweet, loving, obstinant, cute, obstinat, quiet and OH! did I say obstinant? and Natty is all... well all out border collie...both offer challenges and both are the loves of our lives....Natty was purchased form a breeder...and Cora came from "Petfinder" ..."Boy" or "Girl" is up to you....but in my opinion I couldn't state which dog is best for us...we love them both and wouldn't trade them for a million dollars....not much help but as owners of both I say get which dog you want....Greg

• 1 month later...

Since you guys were so helpful with my last question, I thought I'd post another one that has been driving me crazy with confusion. To update: I will be adopting a border collie from a rescue organization in the next few months. Lately, I've been reading up about foster dogs that need homes. I call these 'internet dates', where I try to see if a dog is right for me by looking at a picture and description of the dog. I'm sure you're all familiar with this concept.

The problem occurs whenever I speak with my nagging mother. She insists that I have to get a female. According to her, female dogs are sweeter, gentler and not nearly as hyper and don't need as many walks because they don't need to spread their scent as much as a male. Currently I've fallen in love with this guy:

http://mwbcr.org/ourfosterdogspages/fosterdogmojo.html

Although it's none of my mother's business, she thinks this idea is a poor one since the dog is a boy.

I've asked friends and family members who own male dogs, and they've told me the complete opposite. That boy dogs are kinder and cuddlier and females are the ones to be uptight and grouchy.

Personally, I feel that each dog is unique and every case is different, but I want to make sure before it's too late.

Any advice? thanks!

i used to be a female only dog owner. thats all we ever had while i was growing up as well. but then sam came (a friend couldnt care for him any more so i took him), a now 3 year old (have had him 6 months) MALE border collie. he is the sweetest thing ever. he loves everyone (but is protective as well), he "Hugs" and kisses all the time. he is way more affectiant than my female lab. so it comes down to the dog i think. but im changed on the "female only" thing.

oh and for the potty thing, i take him out as much as i was with just my female lab (he is fixed...i dont know if that makes a difference).

• 2 weeks later...

I like girls better myself - but for me it's a lot about the peeing on things when out walking on leash. Certainly the "boys" can be taught not to stop at every vertical object to leave p-mail, but I just find it easier to have a dog that squats, pees 'till she's empty and then goes on. I don't think boys need more walking, or girls need less walking though. And I have had some wonderful boys.

I think you should just find an individual that "clicks" with you. Regardless of sex.

I dunno. I have a girl dog and she enjoys reading the doggie newspaper and participates in yellow journalism all the time. I get girl dogs because I will not have a dog that views my leg as sexually stimulating. Gross!

They won't, if you nip the behavior from the very first time it starts. My intact male is very interested in girl dogs, but he's never mistaken me for them. ;)

~ Gloria

An overly enthusiastic Chow my mom's friend had, and a similarly driven Springer Spaniel my babysitter had soured me on that one. I get adult dogs, so no chance on stopping the behavior at the very beginning. But it is true that not all male dogs are leg-obsessed.

An overly enthusiastic Chow my mom's friend had, and a similarly driven Springer Spaniel my babysitter had soured me on that one. I get adult dogs, so no chance on stopping the behavior at the very beginning. But it is true that not all male dogs are leg-obsessed.

My intact 5 1/2 year old male has never attempted to hump anyone's legs. Sure, some oversize toys and some hotel blankets were wrongfully attacked when he was less than a year old, but then he stopped. And he's never tried to hump another dog. Ever. Seems a bit more interested in boy dogs than girls, but who am I to judge him :)

On the marking topic, Meg will only mark when she is over-marking Bear's pee. She's quite talented at hitting the mark. She will squat, lift a leg, or even on occasion lift both legs (balancing on just her front feet) to hit the same spot as him (he's taller than her). When he's not around though, she has no interest in marking.

On another note, female hump too for different reasons. The only three dogs that have ever tried to hump me were females when I was a kid.

Dexter, who is intact, has never humped any human. Tweed, who is neutered, has humped countless innocent puppies (there is a reason we called him The West End Molester for so many years) as well as my neighbour once, when she bent down to greet my foster puppy (who had already been enthusiastically humped by said Molester).

TWooie humps his brother Wootie on a semi-regular basis, usually when Spring has Wootie pinned. If the, ermm, position is not "ideal" for this activity, he will air hump somewhere in Woo's vicinity. I think they are unnaturally close, akshully.

I got full body humped by a 100lb bull mastiff at work - he pinned me against the fence and went to town. IN FRONT OF A FAMILY OF FOUR. I especially appreciated the 6'2" 250lb ACO standing nearby and laughing merrily at the whole fiasco.

Dogs suck. Don't get one. Get a goldfish.

RDM

One of my females cracks me up because she always wants to hump a male student (sheepdog training) who comes here. And of course if there's a bitch in heat, the females all hump each other in a very merry display. So don't think for a moment that humping is behavior confined only to male dogs....

J.

My female BC is far more cuddly than my boy. He is an action man and wants to work, wheras my female would prefer to have a snuggle with me. Not to say my male doesnt like a good snuggle too when there is no action. He likes to mark everything in sight so I have to watch him around other peoples belongings. My girls dont really mark, they seem to empty their bladders and are done with it. My BC girl does hump my younger ACD bitch though, not that she seems to mind particularly.

I do love working with my boy although he has been slower to mature and less focussed than my females. He is starting to listen and calm down more recently and I love working with him although he is pretty feisty and I have to be strong but fair with him. I think it is more to do with each individual dog as I also have a very sweet male of another herding breed who although the same age seems a lot more mature.

Personally I prefer girls but that is only because I have had a number of girls over the years and they have been totally fab. I also have my 2 boys that I enjoy.

I would go by the individual personality if you have no real preference.

Archived