BC Boards

So much for the labradoodle

Lewis Moon

Study: Hypoallergenic dogs not less allergic than other dogs

Contrary to popular belief, so-called hypoallergenic dogs do not have lower household allergen levels than other dogs. That's the conclusion of a study by Henry Ford Hospital researchers who sought to evaluate whether hypoallergenic dogs have a lower dog allergen in the home than other dogs. Hypoallergenic dogs are believed to produce less dander and saliva and shed less fur.

NIH/National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases

study

I've understood that it's saliva, not skin cells or hair, that is the primary allergen. If so, breeding for a particular coat shouldn't have much effect if any on reducing allergies. I would think...

So if its saliva then why would someone be allergic to some dogs and not others?

My niece is used to large wet mouth dogs. She grew up with 2 rotties.

When I moved I realized that Lily (the LGD) needed to find a new home.

She doesn't want to stay with her sheep anymore, she'd rather be a house dog. My niece fell in love with her and took her home.

Lily has lived the majority of her life out with sheep in the pastures and barn. Never had a bath. But lots of brushing.

She has now had a bath been brushed tons and it seems like my niece is now allergic to her. She isn't allergic to other dogs but seems to be to lily.

I wonder if her move to her new house has other issues.She is now responsible for cutting her own yard where before she had no household duties. So new exposures for her all over.

Back on post, why do some dogs seem to cause more allergies?

K~

So if its saliva then why would someone be allergic to some dogs and not others?

It has been known for a looooong time that the proteins humans are allergic to are produced in the mouth of dogs. Most humans show allergies to these proteins when inhaled. These proteins get on the skin of the dog when the dog licks itself. The proteins spread all over the body probably in the same way the topical treatments spread all over the body (i.e. frontline). Once on the skin, these proteins will slough off when the skin sloughs off (i.e. dander). Dogs that produce more dander due to poor skin health are more likely to cause allergy issues for humans than dogs that produce less dander.

The amount of Dog allergens produced appears to have wide variability among Dog breeds. Hair length or hormonal status does not influence the production of Can f 1 (except that males produce more than females), whereas seborrhoea strongly influences the presence of Can f 1 on hair (2). Older animals produce more dander than younger ones, because their skin is drier. Also, epidermal turnover is more rapid in Dog breeds that are prone to the various forms of dry and oily seborrhoea. Instead of the normal 21-day cycle, the epidermal turnover time of seborrhoeic Dogs is 3 to 4 days.

Source: Phadia ImmunoCAP

I found it very interesting that crossing a lab with a poodle was suposed to produce a hypoallergenic dog. The standard sample that allergy test manufactuerers have been using to make diagnostic tests for human allergies to dogs was a dander extract from poodles.

• 2 weeks later...

My niece is used to large wet mouth dogs. She grew up with 2 rotties.

When I moved I realized that Lily (the LGD) needed to find a new home.

She doesn't want to stay with her sheep anymore, she'd rather be a house dog. My niece fell in love with her and took her home.

Lily has lived the majority of her life out with sheep in the pastures and barn. Never had a bath. But lots of brushing.

She has now had a bath been brushed tons and it seems like my niece is now allergic to her. She isn't allergic to other dogs but seems to be to lily.

I wonder if her move to her new house has other issues.She is now responsible for cutting her own yard where before she had no household duties. So new exposures for her all over.

Back on post, why do some dogs seem to cause more allergies?

K~

Sounds like she's likely allergic to whatever product you're using to bathe her.Also an LGD is going to trap far more environmental allergens (pollen, etc) in it's coat than a Rottie will.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like she's likely allergic to whatever product you're using to bathe her.Also an LGD is going to trap far more environmental allergens (pollen, etc) in it's coat than a Rottie will.

I agree. Try using an oatmeal or organic shampoo/conditioner. I use Buddy Wash on my guys. It works great on the white fur, smells awesome and leaves no redisue behind. I found that other shampoos left them staticky and not very clean feeling.

I'm allergic or sensitive to a lot of stuff, but I"ve only reacted to a few dogs in my life. They were all drippy-mouthed dogs who put a lot of saliva onto my forearms when I was handling them. I would actually have to go straight home and wash my arms quickly, or I'd start to itch. So, yes, that absolutely makes sense.

It also seems, at least based on my anecdotal evidence, that quantity of saliva has something to do with it. But I think individual dogs must give off different allergens, because most dog spit just makes me feel icky, not itchy.

Kristen,

I may be able to shed some light on your curiosity, as one who is allergic to dogs, and currently living with 4. First, I find the slick or oily coated dogs (dobie's rotties, smooth doxies, hounds) to be the most problematic. When I am working adoption events for the all breed rescue for whom I volunteer, I wear gloves to reduce the effects of exposure. But the other factor is my own threshold. The more exposure I have to a variety of triggering allergens, the faster I arrive at or exceed my threshold response. So if I am dusting, weed-whacking, grooming a horse, I'll blow-up, which can involve any combination or all of the following: asthma, hives, sinus issues. I also tend to build up some resistance to my own dogs eventually,though this has yet to occur with the new foster girl (which is why I do very limited fostering). Generally, that will take 2-3 months time, but again, alot depends on what other triggers are in the environment. How long has Lily been with your niece?

Archived